Bush's speech -- I'll be the first to admit...

by Seeker 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

HawK:

I did see the church speech, and frankly, I was not emotionally stirred or patriotically motivated. It was bland, at some points quasi-teppid and I felt distracted by the event.

I have seen all of his national addresses thus far, and last night, he was definitely better than usual. We will just disagree about his performance, and that is OK. I am looking for different leadership characteristics in his public performance, like a bit more authority and charisma.

Less stumbling through words and losing your place and thoughts. Just basic public speaking and polished communication skills.

Now about the nations he mentioned, I agree that this "if you are not with us" stuff is a little bit too "musketeerish" for my taste.

• blondie
    blondie

I have to admit that part of me cringes when President Bush has to speak "off the cuff" or extemporaneously. I feel for him...he does better in public speaking when he has a script and has rehearsed (who doesn't?). But that was fairly obvious when he ran for office...and he was elected anyway.

Of course, I realize that many of the words he speaks are crafted by those who assist him. I wonder how many famous words attributed to certain famous people were actually from someone behind the scenes?

• Seeker
    Seeker
    he does better in public speaking when he has a script and has rehearsed (who doesn't?)

Clinton, actually, the exception to that rule. He once gave a speech attended by members of Congress, including Gingrich. At one point a question was asked and Clinton went off on an extemporaneous tangent that so impressed his political enemies that Gingrich said he thoought to himself, "No wonder we lost to him."

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hi Trilobite..

I thought it was odd and quite telling that Bush didn't mention Canada. There was some discussion on the CBC network
    with a political scientist, and she said that it was unlikely that it was simply an oversight.
    I think Canada leaves quite a bit to be desired in their immigration policies, and the US definately
    wants Canada to tighten it up. Chretien doesn't want to do that saying it will change Canada's image.
    I think it has a lot more to do with the costs involved and deprivatizing after we have just finished privatizing so much in the
    country. It was part of the liberal platform and got Chretien elected 3 times. It would look very much like an
    about face.
    I think Bush's lack of recognition was a carefully aimed political move, designed to impress the idea that Big Brother to the south is not very happy with things as they stand. Ultimately, the immigration problem will be something Chretien has to do something about and his recent resistance and rhetoric on the matter is not going to get him out of it.
    Just my two cents on that one :)
    Take good care
    Inq

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

On the topic of Bush's delivery...

Did anyone else notice his use of the word "terror". He said terrorists in his usual southern way, but he seemed to invoke a Kennedy-ian accent whenever he said "terra" instead of terror and in naming Bin Laden's organization. I thought it was off considering it was a departure from his normal delivery style. It seemed too obvious and too rehearsed since he paused before using those terms. Can you say speech therapist?
    All in all, it was his most powerful speech to date. It accomplished it's goal, it served to further unify the country behind him. Approval rating of 90% at last count!
    Most Americans (me included) are not aware of what this War on Terrorism is going to cost the taxpayer. But the rally to arms has basically made that secondary in the minds of the public.

Another two cents worth.... hmmm, this could get very expensive! ;)
    Inq

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hi Inquiry,

From one Canadian to another - Welcome to the board.

Where abouts are you?

U.R. & Seeker

Thanks for the comments

hawk

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Thanks, I feel welcome ;)

I'm in small town Ontario, and have lived in Canada most of my life, but I was born in the USA! So I'm an American with a Canadian twist! LOL!

Thanks for asking
    Inq

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I live near Kingston, Ontario.

A lot of my family and friends live in Belleville.

I am not a witness but know quite a few and try to help where I can. Most exJWs and JWs I know or deal with live in the "big smoke" or down in Southwestern Ontario.

Take care and welcome again.

hawk

• Inquiry
    Inquiry

Hi Hawk

I'm an ex-JW. It's good that you help those you can in the WT and those who are exiting. I do too. JWs in small towns are a tad different than those in the big smoke. It's easier to control people and watch them in smaller communities, as well, to justify restrictions when everyone just tows the "party line" just to get along. I became a JW in TO, but moved to the country. What a culture shock. But I'm out now and quite happy and glad to see boards like this up and running, people like you and others here ready to help.

It's all good...:)
    Inq

• Julie
    Julie

Hey Seeker--

It pains me too but I must admit that Bush did a fine job last night. I think he said a lot of stuff that Americans needed to hear and I was so relieved we weren't subjected to (and representd by) the standard Deer-Caught-in-the-Headlights look he often employs at important times. That surely would have been disastrous.

I went through and saw all the attacks you endured in the Colin, Gore, Bush (whatever) thread and see here the criticism you faced for saying a word of praise for a President you aren't so fond of.

I for one appreciate your graciousness at enduring such and displaying your fine qualites (keeping a cool head, independent thinking based on facts etc). It was good to see your attacker(s) assume rational mindsets eventually. It's good to have a friend you can always learn from. That's what you are to me--

Take care old friend,
    Julie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit