Is there anyway anyone can deny all religion is nothing more than guesses?

by The Dragon 28 Replies latest jw friends

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

See it all the time...and children even talking about it!

is there any evidence that can prove all religions are nothing more than other mens guesses into the intentions and plans of God?

We cannot even discern each others intentions or thoughts...how can someone claim to know God's?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I believe in a creator, but I think that religion is Mans way of creating God as he wants Him to be. If you have a nice God, I guess that is harmless, but so many make God out to be some megalomaniac who plays with peoples heads. I like my vision/version of God. . .he is much nicer.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Does God not have His own personality and secret wishes and thoughts?

Is it wrong for Him to keep secrets from us..or withhold information from us about Himself?

Or does powerful "guessers" fight to keep Him silent, and unable to give the weaker people information that would allow them to be too wise to fall for their cunning wanna be masters secret desires?

+

• esw1966
    esw1966

This is all my reasoning and just off the cuff...

I think that it is obvious that there is a God. Take ANY realm of study or spieces no matter how simple it is and you become intrigued at how complicated something can be. I think there is wonder and awe in creation and it speaks loudly of a Creator and His personality.

I believe that Jesus was a highly unique individual. His existence on this earth is well documented. He lives up to MANY prophecies that described WHO to look for when he came. His teaching was UNIQUE! He did things that point to who sent him; walked on water, healed the sick, the lame, the blind, raised the dead, etc! He DIED when he didn't have to for YOU! WHY?!! His resurrection was witnessed by over 500 people! His experience is the only such experience on this earth!

In my search for truth after getting out of jw, I totally feel that God had SO MUCH with me getting to realization and I feel that He reassured me with my decision. I prayed to Him to say if my path was correct. I prayed for my girlfriend at the time to skip the church service she was looking forward to if I was in the wrong. If I was on the right path I wanted her to offer a donation into the collection plate as it went by; something she hasn't done for 5 years and I had scoffed at doing. Short version - she went to church and donated a $10 on a SUDDEN COMPULSION!

I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES!!!

In addition to all of that my belief in a God of Love has now filled my life with JOY and LOVE! I am so happy and excited each day and my Bible reading or spiritual reading brings me such happiness and joy. I do not think one can experience JOY if it is based upon a lie or a guess. I think for it to be as powerful as it is it must be rooted in God.

God didn't explain himself fully to us. The apostle Paul said at 1 Cor 13:12 - Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. So complete knowledge is not ours at this point. That is where faith comes into play. But we HAVE been given enough evidence to know that our faith is NOT without basis or facts. ! Cor 2:16 says "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" [ a ] But we have the mind of Christ.

So, Jesus' COMMAND was to LOVE! Repent and accept Jesus' sacrifice as your means of a clean conscience and your means of salvation. After that it gets pretty exciting when you really mean it!

So from facts and experience I feel that religion is so much more than guesses! Unfortunately, people can misuse that power and we have been warned to stay clear of anyone who would ROB you of your FREEDOM in Christ!

Those are my thoughts. I hope it helps.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

One very important thing I've learned is that it's not necessary to know accurate religious truth. Any God that would demand we know absolute and accurate truth or condemn us, isn't worth worshipping.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Not intending to derail this thread but any claim that Jesus was unique by naming miracles He aledgedly performed can be matched by similar hagiographics assigned to other "unique" individuals throughout history. The virgin birth, resurrection, etc. etc. are not unique to Jesus, nor are claims of divinity. Those individuals also taught similar spiritual principals which elevated the lives of humans on all quadrants of the globe. Even in this age of information, folks see their own "prophet" as special, which leads to feelings of superiority.

carmel

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

The simple word "drunkard" is used many times in the Bible. We are told to steer clear of them.

Fair enough. Simple right? Do you know what a "drunkard" He speaks of even is..for a fact? Or can we only guess?

Is it an alcoholic? a preacher?? someone drunk on the blood of one of His real messengers? a wanna be priest?

Who can say for sure what a "drunkard" is to God when He told us to stay away from them?

Or do we give up on trying to find out for sure what this word meant for certain to the Author when He said it? Were we created to follow guesses by sheep..or to be led by a shepherd?

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

What makes it even more confusing is to read different translations of the Bible. The wording of these translators varies greatly, as does the meaning of many of the words. It is up to the discretion of the translators to choose what words they will use, and there is a lot of bias. I especially found this in the NWT, the Bible I trusted my whole life. On important matters, I read a number of translations to get a better understanding of what they may be talking about.

Little Bo Peep

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

The footnotes in the NWT take you to everytime a word was used.

The earth shall be devoured by "fire"?..........What is "fire" to God? Should we be looking forward to it? Or scared and expect to be burned alive?

How do we even know for sure?

The only way is to know exactly is to know the truth as to what "fire" is to God.

Only HE knows that.

All we can do is guess.

How do we ask Him? So we can know for sure if we should get ready to die....or be babtized with Holy Spirit?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I believe its all guesses. But some men say if you believe it you will see it. With that statement reality becomes a little cloudy. Once again, no one has convinced me they are doing anything more than guessing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit