Can Someone Explain Horror Movies?

by onesong 39 Replies latest jw friends

• onesong
    onesong

I try to be open minded and not judge anything but when I see these movie commercials----

I think it was Saw III or something, all this blood, gore, shrieking and grotesque violence, all I can do is ask with a sense of awe --Why? Why would someone WANT to watch that?

I mean , I really want to know and understand--can anyone help me?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I LOVE horror movies, but I would not see "Saw"!

I don't know, I think I like the supernatural or psychological thrillers.

Gore, when it is not a really badly-made B movie I can laugh through, really does nothing for me. Then again, Zombie gore is COOooool!!!

Crap. I don't know how to describe the difference. Do you like ANY kind of horror movie?

• onesong
    onesong

I can appreciate the psycho thrillers and even humorous . Recently saw the Legend of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp and about a dozen beheadings. Didn't bother me because it wasn't serious, wasn't unneccessarily graphic, it had a kind of sarcastic edge to it.

• hambeak
    hambeak

I don't like the ones that are all blood and guts no plot kind of stuff. But I like the ones with a plot and startle you like Jeepers Creepers, Hell Boy, Sleepy Hollow, Exorcist, Poltergeist. Chainsaw massacre though forget it.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

There is a direct correlation between the movie industry making / releasing horror movies and which political party (Democrat or Republican) is in office !

steve

• lowden
    lowden

Onesong

I'm with you on this.

I like to think i'm quite a broad minded type of chap but some of that Horror stuff is clearly for 'strange minds' only.

Having said that, my son went to see that Tarrantino movie the other month, 'Hostel'. I was shocked he'd decided to go but he was equally shocked and disgusted in a bewildered type of way at what lengths Tarrantino had gone to. He went with a girlfriend....she loved the film, hmmmmm, i'm glad they're not romantically involved.

It's not entertainment....is it?

Even the films that don't show all that much gore can be really disturbing. 'Seven' totally freaked me out...still does.

Peace

Lowden

• restrangled
    restrangled

I hate horror movies. Because it's close to Halloween and where I live, Universal Studios' Theme Park is running horrible ads on TV which I have to quickly turn when I see or hear them.

When renting movies first became popular back in the early 80's my husband and I worked for a large video chain selling VCR's etc. that had a large VHS and Beta movie rental section. One of the movies that came through is now termed a snuff film out of Mexico. They would go to very poor families and tell the Man of the house we will pay your family money if we can kill you and film it.

Problem was, no one really knew what they were and that they were actually filmed live horrible deaths, very popular around Halloween time. Word finally got out and they were removed. To me anyone who gets a secret thrill out of grusome murders needs mental help.

I do like thrillers, but not excessive, disgusting gore. I think the worst I ever saw was the movie "Seven". To this day the scenes still haunt me.

r.

• Warlock
    Warlock

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Warlock

• Mary
    Mary
    I think it was Saw III or something, all this blood, gore, shrieking and grotesque violence, all I can do is ask with a sense of awe --Why? Why would someone WANT to watch that?

I have no idea. The goriest one I ever saw was Alien. One guy talked me in to watching the movie Seven (with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman). It was just a sick, disgusting movie-----not my cup of tea at all.....and this guy was a Witness! He couldn't figure out why I didn't like it. I've never watched any of the Freddy Krugger movies, Saw, Scream, Silence of the Lambs, the Exorcist etc.......I figure life is scary enough without me watching that shit......

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Night of the Living Dead!!!

It was all downhill after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit