I need a new bible

by Mrs Smith 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

I still own my New World Translation Bible and I really would like to buy a new bible. There are so many translations out there I don't know which one to get. Any advice?

• nsrn
    nsrn

I got a cool parallel bible at 'Christian Book Distributors'. It's got King James, NIV, Living, and American Standard all in columns so you can read the scripture from all these sources. 'The Message' is fun to read (It is a paraphrased bible with idioms common in the US) My very first non-witness bible was NIV. (New International Version)

• fokyc
    fokyc

Try 50 different ones first, here:

http://www.biblegateway.com/

then purchase one you like.

fokyc

• seek2find
    seek2find

You might want to check out the English Standard version, I don't have one yet but plan to do so. I have several translations in my computer in a great program called e-sword amomng the many things it lets you do, is a side by side comparasion of up to 4 translations at a time. Besst of all it's a free download from www.e-sword.net seek2find

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I would go for a parallel Bible, that way you can compare. For just basic reading I would suggest the GNT version.

• daystar
    daystar

What fokcy said. The only copy of the bible I have is a little pocket NWT. But when I need to look something up, I just use the biblegateway.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I keep the NWT on hand because I use it when on JW forums.....other translations and versions tend to scare them off. I have the KJV here because I like it when I can see at a glance (red letters) what Jesus said so I don't find out later that it was something Paul had said!

Most of all, I refer to the Bible Gateway that has been mentioned....it is a wonderful tool and instantly gives you the different translations and how they might even offer a new thought as to what the bible is saying.

Annie

• Carmel
    Carmel

None of the above!

Sounds like a political poster, eh?

carmel

• free2beme
    free2beme

As much as I have left the Christian faith in the dust, in that I no longer accept it, I still maintain a library for reference reasons. In that, I have several versions, but find the good old King James to be the easiest to reference with people of different denominations.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

While you're at it, better do a bit of research on the history of the bible itself, (FASCINATING and earth-shaking, really,) and pick up some of the latter revealed texts that were voted out of "the bible" by the early Catholic church... such as the Gnostic texts and the Apocrypha... Dead Sea Scrolls, etc....

Have fun turning over new soil!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit