Why it is wise to...

by lighthouse19something 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Awake! Oct. 22, 1973 pg. 6

g7310/22p.6ExaminetheEvidence***

Examine

theEvidence

IF YOU were on trial in a court of law, would it be fair if only your opponent was allowed to present evidence? No, you would surely want the court to hear your side of the matter.

For many years, only evolution’s side has been heard in colleges, high schools, even grade schools, and in nearly all scientific literature published throughout most of the world. But now there is a rising demand to hear the other side.

The

ReasonableChoice

Reasonable persons agree that the only fair method is to examine the evidence on both sides, both for and against a disputed theory. That is how one arrives at the truth.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Watchtower 1985 June 15 page 12

Digging

Deeper

Proverbs 2:4, 5 states: ‘If as for hid treasures you keep searching for it, you will find the very knowledge of God.’ The context of that passage speaks of the need to seek out Jehovah’s "sayings," "commandments," "wisdom," "discernment," and "understanding." Searching for treasures requires effort and perseverance. It calls for much digging. It is not different when searching for "the very knowledge of God," for "discernment," and for "understanding." This also requires much digging, or penetrating below the surface. Do not feel that it is sufficient to skim over the surface of God’s Word.

A psalmist exclaimed: "How great your works are, O Jehovah! Very deep your thoughts are." (Psalm 92:5) The apostle Paul wrote admiringly: "O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge!" (Romans 11:33) In another letter, he spoke of "the deep things of God." (1 Corinthians 2:10) True, as Paul explains, God reveals such deep things "through his spirit," which active force acts powerfully upon the anointed Christians appointed by Christ Jesus to provide spiritual food. We should be truly thankful for the spiritual digging that the "slave" class does to make clearer and clearer for us "the hidden depths of God’s purposes."—1 Corinthians 2:10, Today’sEnglishVersion.

But that does not relieve each individual Christian of the responsibility to dig deeper into God’s Word, for the purpose of getting the full depth of the thoughts explained. This involves looking up the scriptures cited. It means reading the footnotes in Watchtower articles, some of which refer the reader to an older publication that provides a fuller explanation of a certain passage or prophecy. It requires digging deeper, putting forth effort to locate that older publication and then studying the pages referred to. It consists of making full use of specialized Bible study aids that the "slave" class has made available over the years, such as indexes, concordances, AidtoBibleUnderstanding, and "AllScriptureIsInspiredofGodandBeneficial." Yes, Christians have been provided with excellent digging tools, the latest of which is the new English-language Reference Bible, which, in time, will be available in a number of other languages. Let us use these digging tools to good advantage.
  • mama1119
    mama1119

Maybe he has one of those colds where one side is really stuffed up, and the other runs like crazy, and he is trying to control the running side. He probably tried to cancel his study due to his cold, but the other guy is a pioneer and he is only one hour away from making his time so he showed up anyway.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Good one. Maybe he did have a bad cold.

I was very sorry about my earlier post. I don't want to give that impression of myself. I have nothing to do with drugs. It was my bitterness coming out. But I hate to think that a WT apologist would look at it and say that is what "apostates" are all about.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

"But that does not relieve each individual Christian of the responsibility to dig deeper into God’s Word, for the purpose of getting the full depth of the thoughts explained. This involves looking up the scriptures cited. It means reading the footnotes in Watchtower articles, some of which refer the reader to an older publication that provides a fuller explanation of a certain passage or prophecy. It requires digging deeper, putting forth effort to locate that older publication and then studying the pages referred to. It consists of making full use of specialized Bible study aids that the "slave" class has made available over the years, such as indexes, concordances, Aid to Bible Understanding, and "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial." Yes, Christians have been provided with excellent digging tools, the latest of which is the new English-language Reference Bible, which, in time, will be available in a number of other languages. Let us use these digging tools to good advantage."

Notice how the tools they refer to are only Watchtower publications. If someone truly wants to dig for the truth, they will look at everything available on the subject from all sources. But by the Watchtower trying to limit them to only their publications, they are trying to control what they believe. Most witnesses are not going to pick up on this and would even say the Society encourages them to make sure it is the truth.

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

The WT also says all relatives will begin persecuting us when we begin studying. That Jesus said you would lose mothers, fathers, brothers, etc. I remember telling studies that and now realize it is the WT that is the cause of the division, because they don't want anyone associating with anyone who isn't a JW.

Little Bo Peep

• hubert
    hubert
    Why is the guy in the green shirt holding his left nostril shut?

He's using it as a guide.

He's about to shove his thumb in his nose.

Hubert

• Sam87
    Sam87

But remember its only wise to examine OTHER religions but not Jehovahs Witnesses

Sam87

• Woofer
    Woofer

When is that Watchtower from? The 70's? 80's? I like the first paragraph that says evidence shows that God will soon destroy the wicked!

The guy holding his nose because he is thinking "something stinks about this!"

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

I always felt strange that I was asking them to examine their religion, using WTS publications, but could not examine wt from their materials

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit