Beards and bald heads

by parlay 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• parlay
    parlay

What do you think about the WTS prohibition on beards? Currently in the US, I think a brother can wear a beard, he just won't be used in the congregation. I see all references in the WT to beards are in a negative light, such as the supreme court upholding a supermarket chains no beards rule. It's portrayed as something that could prevent a JW from giving a witness, as the householder may associate the beard with something that would prevent them from listening.

I don't agree that a neat and well groomed beard would have this effect. What do you think? Just another case of WTS pharisee-like rule making?

Any experiences of JW's that wore beards?

• parlay
    parlay

Oh and what about the fact that many brothers now shave their heads, since Michael Jordan and other

celebs have made it sexy and faddish? I don't see any rules on that? Double standard?

• juni
    juni

Parlay said:

Oh and what about the fact that many brothers now shave their heads, since Michael Jordan and other

celebs have made it sexy and faddish? I don't see any rules on that? Double standard

Do they really shave their heads purposely? Perhaps because a lot of the gov. body have bald heads? And you know their sex phobias. They prolly don't even know that it is a fad. Prolly just think it's a natural loss of hair.

They'd have to check the bros' grapes to see if it's a natural baldness or shaved. Where would all of this lead to? I can only imagine and laugh.

Juni

• IronClaw
    IronClaw
    It's portrayed as something that could prevent a JW from giving a witness, as the householder may associate the beard with something that would prevent them from listening.

I ask you, Whats more of a stumbling block: A man with a well groomed beard or the WTS joining up with the dreaded United Nations??????

The Claw ( of the Bald and Bearded class )

• parlay
    parlay

I agree Ironclaw, whether a man has a beard or not doesn't translate into what kind of person he is. There are plenty of clean shaven, smiling hypocrites among the JW's. A lot of the young brothers here shave their heads and it's known that they are not going bald.

A brother once told me that his father wasn't allowed to give parts on the assembly programs because he shaved his head. Then sometime later I saw purposely shaven heads given parts. Guess the rule was relaxed.

***w683/15p.191QuestionsfromReaders***

What about the length of one’s hair today? Just as the natural length of hair differs among races, so do customs and personal tastes. The short style of men’s hair in the Western world is patterned after the Roman custom, and it is considerably shorter than the style common for Jewish men in Jesus’ time. Similarly, women today quite often cut their hair shorter than was usual among ancient women. Yet, there is still a marked difference between the sexes. So, while personal taste and local custom have a definite bearing on how long a Christian man wears his hair, he does want it to reflect his masculinity. Similarly, Christian women style their hair modestly and with evident femininity, so it will be a glory for them.—1 Pet. 3:3; 1 Tim. 2:9; 1 Cor. 11:15.

Why isn't the same balance written here about the length of ones hair applied to beards? Could not a beard contribute to reflecting a mans masculinity? Seems like another double standard rule, invading personal decision and conscience.

• JH
    JH

What's the difference between a brother who is naturally bald and another brother who decides to shave his head?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Some people can rock a beard! And some people can't!

Who's this ugly man?

alt

Yep, it's Matthew Mcconaughey! He definitely needs to dump the beard. Over eighty percent of the voters on an AOL poll says so.

I wouldn't open my door to an ugly man! I wouldn't open my door for a witness either! Oh well!

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

When I was at Bethel the bald head was just really getting started, and all the young cats coming in were very dis-satisfied with the Bethel barbers (it was a no-no to get a fade.) So all the brother's (meaning black guys) started shaving their heads. They wanted to say something but how could they, 'hey brother your head is bald' yeah just like henshel's.

Also when I was their a lot of cats was sporting Bow ties, this pissed them off too. You got to love an organization where any and I mean any show of individuality is frowned upon.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Beards and baldy prohibitions are just plain foolishness. We have been molded from a cookie cutter profile but should be allowed to express our unique differences. We are from a controlling cult which demands absolute power and dictation over our lives. To allow differences in our lives would be reducing thier ability to maintain power and authority over our lives.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Yep, it's Matthew Mcconaughey! He definitely needs to dump the beard. Over eighty percent of the voters on an AOL poll says so.

yep i'm sure he lives his life based on the opinions of 80% of aol pollsters...i agree but it is his life.

i had a beard for about 2 years as an elder....i had a facial skin problem and was told shaving would aggravate it...i took the wt at the time and said i would stop doing so if anyone was offended..the elders gritted their teeth and said it wasnt a problem (although there were others who wanted the tower)

i also gave talks in other congs..i explained the situ and said i wouldnt be offended if they decided not to invite me...i was well known and gave a good talk so was never a problem....one congo was so desperate they said they would take a sister wearing trousers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit