Here I Sit In Calgary, AB...Depressed...

by exjdub 19 Replies latest jw friends

• joanne_
    joanne_

Hi there, so glad you liked our city. Too bad we could not have gotten together or chatted in gabby. Have a good trip back.

joanne

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I went from Illinois to West Palm Beach and I dont like it here. I feel like Dorothy. "Im not in Kansas any more". Its like a different planet here. The only hills here are garbage depositories, fondly called "Mount Trashmore".

If I had it all to do again, Im not sure I would have moved in the first place.

Glad you had such a great time on your trip! Can you share any pics?

Loves

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Ps: I can say "eh" after every sentence with the best of them now! funny how easy it is to pick up...eh?

It must be like Americans saying "Um" or "uh" after every sentence. Or homies saying "No what ahm sayin'?" after every sentence, eh?

Florida has its own misty beauty in the late autumn and winter. There are parts in central, northern Fla where the landscape has gently rolling hills and beautiful citrus groves. Palms swaying in gulf breezes on cooler days are lovely, too.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

For what it's worth, one day Milton Henschel told the Brooklyn Bethel "family" what he thought was the most beautiful place on earth. He had been traveling with Knorr and by himself all over the world for several years. He had traveled (at Society expense, of course) to more countries than any other member of the GB. Was it Switzerland? Was it New Zealand? Was it Norway? His answer: 'Those places have indescribable beauty, but the place that beats them all is Western Canada, especially around Banff.'

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Calgary is definitely a lovely city ... I can't wait to live there.

Simon.......did I miss an announcement here lately? Are you moving to Calgary?

For the rest of the comments about the scenery in Canada....I have been to Montreal once Ganonoque (sp?) once and Toronto 4-5 times. I was quite impressed with what I saw of Toronto....have been a few times to SeaWorld and an amusement Park with the name Maple Leaf somewhere around there (maybe at Niagara Falls now that I think of it) ...

but the only "bad" time we had was in Montreal (was Man And His World in Montreal in the early 70s?) anyway, when we ended up getting lost in a part of the city that tourists are better off avoiding if possible, haha! It was scarey! And nobody spoke English!!

For the most part I like visiting Canada......especially up the route that goes along the eastern shoreline from about Belleisle that crosses back over to NY way far up north. I haven't been through there in MANY years.....It was not a main highway and was filled with beautiful old buildings whose architecture looked like they were straight out of a French travelogue....just delightful and quite unique to an American! I recall we went around this time of year because I took rolls and rolls of pictures of the autumn trees.....it was quite memorable!

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, we've been working towards it for quite a while.

With any luck it will be sooner rather than later.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Cool beans, Simon and Ang!

Thanks for replying!

hugs,

Annie

• lilybird
    lilybird

We made the cross country trek from Southern Ontario to BC this summer and stopped over nite in Calgary. Beautiful city, which is really growing economy wise. The Rockies were so beautiful, We were awestruck by them. We also spent a day in Banff. We took the gondola trip up the mountain were we had a great birds-eye view of the Rockie range. Then we had lunch in a great Irish pub in Banff .Alberta really does have the best tasting beef, as it is known for it, eh??

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    Yes, we've been working towards it for quite a while. With any luck it will be sooner rather than later.

Woo Hoo Simon and Ang! We'll be neighbours. I'm next door in Vancouver, BC

ESTEE

• Mary
    Mary
    We made the cross country trek from Southern Ontario to BC this summer and stopped over nite in Calgary. Beautiful city, which is really growing economy wise.

Ya, seeing as that's where the head office for all the Canadian oil & gas companies are, you better believe it's booming. When I lived there several years ago, I worked at the Petro Canada head office on 4th Ave. S.W. During the Calgary stampede, all the big oil companies, like Petro-Can, Gulf Oil, Shell, Esso, would have free breakfasts out front of the office buildings. They weren't cheap either: they'd be making pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, coffee, etc. and it was free to whoever was walking by. Plus we were allowed to wear blue jeans in the office for the entire time the Calgary stampede was going on. No one really got much work done during that time---we'd go out at noon hour drinking and not go back to the office. LOL! Funny thing is: people that were visiting thought we lived like that all year round.

Simon, I'm sure you'll like it out west....the weather in Calgary can be quite strange though. I've seen snow every month of the year out there (including July) and I've also seen it where it's 70 F in the middle of February. If you're going to be living in the northwest part of Calgary, you'll get a wonderful view of the mountains. Banff is about 60 or 70 miles away, but it's absolutely gorgeous there. They have a "hot tub" outside that's piped in from the hot springs. We used to go there after a day of skiing and sit outside in the hot waters. With the mountains around, it reminded me of Switzerland......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit