Your Favorite Poem or Saying

by compound complex 54 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

I recall as a child, our mom had a brown book of poems. In it was The Spider And The Fly by Mary Howitt, along with the original Twas The Night Before Christmas.

I remember how I loved this book because it somehow transported me out of the religions dogma I was being told as a child, and I felt like I was IN the book. It's hard to explain. Maybe that's a thread for another time. (I doubt it though)

I wish I knew the name of it. If anyone recalls such a book, please share. It had many old poems. It was brown and somewhat medium in size. It was hardcover.

http://www.ongoing-tales.com/SERIALS/oldtime/POETRY/spiderfly.html

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE:

"A Reason A Season and A Lifetime"© by Brian A. "Drew" Chalker.

People always come into you life for a reason, a season and a lifetime. When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, or to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or even spiritually. They may seem like a Godsend to you, and they are. They are there for a reason, you need them to be.

Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die, Sometimes they just walk away. Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow or learn. They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season. And like Spring turns to Summer and Summer to Fall, the season eventually ends.

Lifetime, relationships teach you a lifetime of lessons; those things you must build upon in order to have a slid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person/people (anyway); and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas in your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant. Thank you for being part of my life....

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Mine is a saying from the movie "The Stand" by Stephen King.

Where Nick says that "I don't believe in God". And Mother Abigail laughs and says "He believes in you".

• Mulan
    Mulan

My husband has this saying over his desk in the office:

"Jesus, Protect Me From Your Followers"

I have this over my desk in my office:

"I have more respect for people who change their views after acquiring new information than for those who cling to views they held thirty years ago. The world changes. Ideologues and zealots don't."

I also really love "Imagine", especially the highlighted part. I see it was already posted, but it's a favorite of mine.

Imagine
    (by John Lennon)

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    Nowhere below us
    Above only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

• Brigid
    Brigid

OMG!! This thread is too good. There are so many for me. One of my absolute all time favorites is something that my father sent me about 7 years ago and it still hangs by my bed:

Max Ehrmann

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952.

• chiddy
    chiddy

What about

There was a young lady from Ealing

Who had a peculiar feeling

joking

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Brigid and other "poets":

Thanx so much for your wonderful contributions --- food for the soul! I had memorized much of DESIDERATA while spending hours in ICCU while a loved one lay in a coma. I particularly related to the words "Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story." I plan on spending some time here feeding on literary food at the proper time! Peace and love to you all.

Yours truly,

CoCo

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

freedomlover(r),

Thank you.

I don't remember writing that, even less in which context, but I find it all the more moving that some words we say or write can go on their own way in other minds, as so many came to us from other people, making us what we provisionally "are"...

I like to think of resurrection as a daily though mostly unnoticed event: long dead or forgotten people keep on arising in our flesh, and even before we're dead we're already living in others we just crossed once with one word, one look or one smile we don't even remember.

Back to the topic, it's been some time since I have lost the notion of "favourite". And most of my meaningful readings are not in English.

I'll pick one sentence from James Joyce's Ulysses, which is close in thought to purplesofa's poem:

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Most of John Donne's work .. considering the guy was a cleric, he certainly had a way with words. "sir, more than kisses, letters mingle souls. For thus absent friends speak."

And from J. Skinner .... "I've always wanted to be normal. But lately I've had a strong suspicion that this is it."

And from works written by me .... "make love to a woman's mind and you have access to the rest of her body."

• 4JWY
    4JWY

LIFE is not a journey to the grave of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather,

to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,

"WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

(unknown author)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit