Is anyone familiar with how the attorneys are compensated at Brooklyn?

by restrangled 20 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I'm curious because after working for attorneys I know how they bill. By the 10 minute increment, per document etc.

I can't believe they would have enough qualified attorneys volunteering time and labor to cover every aspect of their various legal problems. Is this perhaps where all the money is going?

r.

• TopHat
    TopHat

The Lawyers are robbing them blind....

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I was told by my attorney that the jws had the largest legal dept of any of the religions. Paraphrasing what he said it was because that had to fight a considerable number of contested will cases and to make sure the executors do things to their liking. Someday I may have to deal with this group as an executor.

• Balsam
    Balsam

The WTS pays a big retainer to keep the big law firms on call. They are spending a fortune that is for sure. The dollars dropped in the boxes pay for it because all the property the WTS is buying up and keeping off shore accounts so they don't have to pay lawsuits against them.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Sorry of the side shift of the topic. I also would like to know if they are quartered at the hq or operate as an adjunct. If so is their compensation tied to their preformance?

• zarco
    zarco

Your statment is false. The attorneys at Bethel serve as do all others at Bethel with the same monthly stipend. At times outside lawyers are used but the payment to them is negotiated in advance. Why do you state what you stated? If you have eveidence please produce it.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I do not find her statement out of line or false sounding.

Have you ever been involved in litigation?

I have and when I hire a firm I try to find (the biggest gun) largest firm, longest estasblished, best track record etc. This makes a difference when your in front of a judge.

Having to litigate in many states in the past I paid huge retainers for the best or the biggest guns in town.

I.E. one of the firms I've used before was very large and established before the civil war (1854). This = large retainer.

So do you believe that the WTS would use an in house on a complex case or if not then are they exempt from retainers? I think not!

You get what you pay for!!! Thats the way the legal system works!

• zarco
    zarco

She said that “the WTS pays a big retainer to keep the big law firms on call”. I said that comment is false. I sent her a PM stating why I know that statement is false. Your experience is not proof the WTBS pays big retainers to the big law firms, rather it proof of what you have experienced. You ask and state - “you believe that the WTS would use an in house on a complex case or if not then are they exempt from retainers? I think not!”. In the most recent case before the Supreme Court of the United States the WTS used an in house attorney who discussed the daily text before opening arguments rather than review his case.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

What it a jw case or were they just acting as freinds of the court as in the Jimmy Swarget case? Has a decision been handed down and if so what was it?

• blondie
    blondie

I would think that JW lawyers that are part of the Bethel "family" would not be compensated any differently than other Bethelites. If they were lawyers before coming to Bethel, they would most likely retain their business.

Would they charge the WTS? Do electricians, carpenters, etc., charge the WTS for services rendered on building KHs and assembly halls? I don't think so.

Even when a JW needs a lawyer due to a legal situation coming out of a "preaching" situation, the WTS has sent a local JW lawyer to assist at no cost to the JW involved. That lawyer volunteers their time just like JW electricians do on "builds."

The WTS does contract out legal business to non-JW firms and those firms would charge the WTS for services rendered.

I do wonder what happens if a JW lawyer works for a non-JW firm, if they can donate their time? Many law firms do a certain percentage of pro bono work.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit