Girls/ ladies, were the sister`s competetive in your congs?

by dido 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

What is "ironing"?

• dido
    dido

It is something they used to do in the dark ages.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Reverse snobbery was so rampant in the area I lived, I don't remember the meetings being too much of a fashion show. It was more a case of everyone watching you like a hawk waiting for an opportunity to give you some "loving advice", which obviously was only because they CARED so much blah blah. Any opportunity to criticise hemlines, necklines, fit, fabric.....to ensure we all looked like sacks of spuds.

• dido
    dido

Yes, there was a spiritual snobbery, if you had relatives at bethel, or they were co`s or do`s or spec pioneers, or went to gilead etc. etc. etc.they would only mix with other`s with `titles`. Usually these were shriveled up pioneer spinsters who were putting the `kingdom first` and not getting married etc., (only cos they couldn`t catch a man). I know i had sisters looking down there nose at me saying i was `loud` because i laughed a lot!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I suppose we had a bit of spiritual snobbery in our kh as well. Certainly, the elders wives enjoyed being elders wives more, I sometimes thought, than their husbands enjoyed being elders. I know when Trev was appointed an ms, the interest in him among the singls sisters intensified, because it was obvious it wouldn't be all that long before he became an elder. I remember when he gave his first public talk, they were falling over each other to get to him and tell him how wonderful it was.

Alas, none of them caught him, and when he turned down the opportunity to be an elder, they lost interest, apart from me of course.

• dido
    dido

Yes, the elders wives would only mix with other elders wives, pathetic, but i was glad as i couldn`t stand their bullshit anyway. I liked the little old sisters that had been in the congs for 50 years, they were the most genuine, and they didn`t seek attention. I usually got on with the waifs and strays, they were more my kind of people.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Yeah, I got on with the old sisters who'd been around for years as well. Most of them are dead now, and I really missed them when they died. They were the most loving people in the kh, and it lost a lot of it's character and warmth when they went.

• Moomin
    Moomin

There was a definate competition on who was the most humble aswell. The pioneer couple would often mention in any presentation that they live in a small council house and always conclude with some cute comment like 'at least its easier to clean such a tiny house'. I've been round their house and its a very nice size, not big but just right for a family of 3/4. It had 3 bedrooms and an office. Don't they think about the people who have seen it when they are proudly saying these things in from of them? I don't get it.

They did get asked to stop mentioning the fact that its council though.

The wife often turned up at the meetings with bleached stains on her skirt. I felt sorry for her at first but after a while I wondered if it was for effect.

• rowan
    rowan

sspo, I think the problem's universal. At least it was like that in Argentina, in several congregations. and you could smell it at the circuit assemblies. I regret to admit I was part of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit