Who is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit?

by sanjanicole 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sanjanicole
    sanjanicole

I am studying about JW, and as i understand it you do not believe in the Trinity, how can you not belive in something that the Bible says is real, i understand that the word Trinity itself is not in the Bible, but that does not mean that it does not exist especially since the triune God is talked about in the Bible...

• choosing life
    choosing life

Where exactly is it talked about in the Bible?

• sanjanicole
    sanjanicole

What about Scriptures such as Matthew 3:16 "...and he saw the Spirit of God descending" the greek words here, according to the concordance, mean an angel, or (divine) God, a deity, the Supreme Divinity God - so where do you get that He is just an IT, and in Hebrews 1:8 "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne,o God..." again we have the same use of words in Greek, Jesus is depicted as God.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Did God kill himself so he could forgive humans? If Christ was God then that is what happened. Why did he say,"Why hast thou forsaken me." while on the cross, if he was God?

Maybe I misunderstood your view of the Trinity doctrine as taught by so many churches, that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is one person. Anyway it's all just a made up story.

Ken P.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi sanjan, I'm not personally a believer in the bible, but I used to be, and I have always felt that this scripture in Phillippians 2 settles the position of Jesus in relation to his father.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in very nature [a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
    7 but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature [b] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
    8 And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    and became obedient to death—
    even death on a cross!
    9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

BTW, where does the bible say the triune god is real?

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I am studying about JW, and as i understand it you do not believe in the Trinity, how can you not belive in something that the Bible says is real, i understand that the word Trinity itself is not in the Bible, but that does not mean that it does not exist especially since the triune God is talked about in the Bible...

I did not believe in the Trinity while I was a JW. I am not a JW now and I do believe in the Trinity. Is belief in the Trinity necessary for salvation?

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

You can find just as many arguments in the Bible to prove the trinity doctrine as you can to disprove it--so I have to agree with Honesty in asking the question,

Is belief in the Trinity necessary for salvation? If it is, then I guess I;m doomed as I never believed in it.

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

A great book to read, by Ron Frye, is The Father Son Relationship. I just finished reading it for the 2nd time. It examines all sides, quoting from early Church Fathers etc. Gives a well rounded out view, including the view that since the word "trinity" isn't in the Bible, would that mean the concept isn't there?

Little Bo Peep

• Mondo1
    Mondo1

sanjanicole,

Let me refer you to a website that I believe will help you in your quest to understand the Biblical issues at hand:

Scripturaltruths.com It deals with a number of things, but issues related to the Trinity addressed there.

Mondo

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Honesty,

Nowhere in the bible does it say we have to believe in the trinity doctrine to be saved. Christians have been debated this for countless years and like someone already brought out - you can find just as many arguements for as against.

You simply have to look at information that depicts each viewpoint but ultimately decide what your personal view is. For if anything - it is only a moot point at best.

I am somewhere in the middle on the issue. As I used to believe that Jesus was an Angel (Micheal) created by Jehovah. Now I believe he is in "nature" equal to the father or divine. Not that he and the father are the same person. but only equal in nature. I think this is why the Jews tried to stone him for they said that by Jesus saying he was God's son - he was making himself equal to God. Since a human father would reasonably sire a human son. A divine God would sire a divine son. I never understood John 1:1 until I took the view that Jesus was divine in nature like the father. Thus he could be him and be with him at the same time. The term "he was God" - meaning Divine (it does not mean God the father). And Jesus was always with God. He was not "created" at a later date. As John says he was "in the beginning" with God - meaning before the founding of the world or anything coming into existance.

The Holy Spirit I believe is a manifestation of God's essence and power and is not an impersonal force like the WT teaches (electricity) . But while the bible personifies the spirit of God, it is still the Spirit of God and not a seperate person. We really cannot think of the Spirit as a person at all at least not in our modern sense of the word "person". Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit