WHY NO LIBEL THREAT?

by Dansk 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    which clearly states on the homepage that if one is a JW the site isn't for them

...I don`t think these anti-jw-sites should even state that. It is not our problem that the WTS has a need for information-control.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

thanks fullofdoubtnow...

I am pretty confident that the complainers would not have had a legal leg to stand on and that such a complaint/lawsuit would have been dismissed pretty quickly, but few people/companies like to even bother unless they have strong convictions and integrity and its easier for them to ask you to make changes.

I also agree that there is really no need for such a disclaimer but maybe the admins think it is similar to the notices at the beginning of television shows/movies (ratings systems). It does go to the old issue that no one is making them either visit a site they find offensive or to keep reading anything they feel it is offensive.

It is good though that the site is supporting you and the principles of free speech. Just a question, the URL linked above didn't seem to put me to the right page. Do you have the correct URL. I would like to put a link to your site on my site.

take care,

Eduardo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Dansk,

just wanted to add something that pertains to your direct question of why the WTBTS is reluctant to press certain court actions.

It seems to me that there are several reasons why the Society doesn't engage in such litigation and generally avoids unnecessary entanglements such as these, but I will give you just two big ones (aside from the obvious and major one that they WOULD NOT PREVAIL in most cases or the examples you cited)

The first is the public relations effect such a lawsuit would have. If the society brought a lawsuit for defamation it would call more attention to the supposedly defamatory information then what it would be worth it to them.

Secondly, and probably more importantly, a lawsuit would open up the doors to discovery and that might uncover all kinds of documents and records that it wouldn't like to see the light of day. Imagine a memo or report by the Governing Body members that got circulated about certains adjustments or changes for example but which was decided the other way. Such things made public would undermine the illusion.

The Society only enters the legal arena when there aren't dangers such as these and when it expects to prevail on the merits.

• avengers
    avengers
    The Society only enters the legal arena when there aren't dangers such as these and when it expects to prevail on the merits.

Indeed! Like picking on girls. Take for instance the Vicky Boer case. The WTS "leaders" are cowards.

Why don't they pick on someone their own size? We know the reasons.

p.s. WT, If you do monitor this site, why don't you come and sue me? Maybe you can ask SBF with his goldfishbrain to help you?

Andy

• Dansk
  • fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    The Society only enters the legal arena when there aren't dangers such as these and when it expects to prevail on the merits

Yeah, we all know that, but obviously the site admin hasn't the personal experience of wts tactics that we have. To take us to court for that article would open a can of worms that the society might find it difficult to close, and they know it. We aren't really worried anyway, we have put a link to silentlambs on the site, and recommend people use it, and the site is there to stay, despite wts bids to have it removed.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Apprearing in your letterbox soon

alt

• girasole
    girasole

The WTS also has a way of turning things that are said against them into further proof that they are right. IE - We know we have the truth because we are persecuted. So in a way, sites like these give them further clout - or they turn it into such. Then it becomes, to those who are fully indoctrinated, like you cannot say anything against them. Anything negative that you say about them just empowers them in their beliefs even more.

The WTS is not going to go after every single site or author who speaks out against them. They WANT for their members to feel persecuted.

girasole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit