Couple's faith tested

by Dogpatch 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Couple's faith tested
    Great Yarmouth Mercury, UK - 19 hours ago
    ... devoted believers - but a husband and wife say their faith has been tested and their family torn apart after they were thrown out of the Jehovah's Witnesses. ...

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/content/yarmouthmercury/news/story.aspx?brand=GYMOnline&category=news&tBrand=GYMonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED28%20Sep%202006%2015%3A26%3A37%3A993

Couple's faith tested

MILES JERMY 28 September 2006 THEY were once devoted believers - but a husband and wife say their faith has been tested and their family torn apart after they were thrown out of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Members of the Bradwell congregation - including their only child, a daughter - are now forbidden from speaking to David and Brenda Gibbons since they were forced to

leave.

They were thrown out by a judicial committee at Great Yarmouth Kingdom Hall in July, after writing a letter containing personal criticism to another member of the congregation.

Declared “revilers”, people who speak ill of others, the decision to “disfellowship” the couple was upheld on appeal to the Jehovah's Witnesses' British branch in London.

They have not seen daughter Leah, 25, since being forced

to leave the organisation.

Retired merchant seaman

Mr Gibbons, 62, and Mrs Gibbons, 64, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, are devastated by the experience.

Mrs Gibbons told the Mercury: “It is heartbreaking that Leah is not allowed to speak to us because of a scriptural point of view.

“I do regret joining the Jehovah's Witnesses because then we would still have our daughter.

“We were renowned for being a close family; to love a child who has died is bad, to

lose a child who does not want to talk to you is quite heartbreaking.

“People need to know the consequences of stepping

out of line - so many families have been split up and

now we have lost a dear daughter.”

She added: “No religion should impose that on people, but there is very precise manipulation of the way believers think and feel.”

Jehovah's Witnesses are instructed to shun expelled members, who are allowed to attend services and receive spiritual guidance, but cannot be welcomed back into the congregation until they apologise for their actions.

Mr and Mrs Gibbons are adamant they have done nothing wrong and cannot return to the movement that was, until recently, central to their lives.

Mr Gibbons said: “The elders could have helped resolve the situation, but I believe they wanted me out because I was outspoken and this was an opportunity to remove me.

“Our Christian brothers and sisters would like to speak to us, but are fearful of what

action might be taken against them.

“We were loved by so many people, but now when they see us in the street they turn away The body of elders has created a climate of fear amid the congregation, which is divided into cliques.

“Even if I had committed a crime I would expect my family's support, but Brenda and I have done nothing wrong and yet we are completely isolated.

“What is the good of any religion that takes your daughter away from you

and does what has been done

to us.”

Mr Gibbons was stripped of his position as a ministerial servant in June; he

and his wife had been worshipping with the Gorleston congregation until their expulsion.

Worshippers are not told why a member is removed and

Mr Gibbons, who had managed the accounts at Bradwell Kingdom Hall, feared they would think he had been thrown out for stealing

money.

The last few months have been an ordeal for the couple after losing contact with a daughter they had been so close to and who encouraged them to join the Jehovah's Witnesses 14 years ago.

All they are left with now is memories of their time with Leah and a gallery of family photos at their home in Kingfisher Close.

Mr Gibbons added: “It was really Leah who got us into the church as she had a friend at school who was a Witness.

“Her father came round to visit us; we had a Bible study and joined after going along to worship for a year.

“We were renowned for being a close-knit family and well known for riding around together on a tandem cycle. We shared so many jokes and good times.

“This is tearing us apart,

we were always so full of

fun, laughter and life but

now just do not feel whole anymore.”

The Gibbons' daughter, Leah, refused to talk to the

Mercury when she was approached, and Trevor Gaskin, the presiding Jehovah's Witness also declined the comment.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Well, as usual, we see another example of the "great love" and "mercy" that JW's have for humanity, much less their own members. I honestly don't think I can name one other organization that destroys families with such callousness and hatred. Well, maybe Adolph Hitler. That's not saying much for the WT when THEIR version of Christianity sounds just like Hitler's version of Nazism. Any thoughts on this??

• skyking
    skyking

Love the mark of the true faith.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Thanks dogpatch!

Appreciate your post!

Cheers! Atlantis-

• Magnus
    Magnus

Once the Dark Side splits the family, the rest is easy. It's the best trick that a cult can pull. I bailed out of the Org in the mid 70's, but not after having first hand experiences with the Borgs way of turning a person away from their family. My Dad had no use for the Troof, however my Mother who was a natural born zealot, loved the FDS propaganda. As far as she was concerned, if you weren't in the Troof, you were no good. She alienated herself from my Dad, our Grand Parents, as well as nieghbors, and she pulled me, and my younger sister with her. When I bailed out, she told my sister I was demonized, and under the control of Satan. My Mother, and sister had nothing to do with me for almost 20 years. We hadn't spoke for all those years, not a call, nothing. My Mother finally came to her senses, and bailed out in the mid 90's, only after causing great hurt in our family. It has taken years to close the gap that that worthless religion caused, but now we are once again a family. I hope things work out for the couple in UK. Maybe their daughter will come to her senses, and see the "Real Truth" about the Jehovees.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Typically, the reporter reiterated something he/she was told, which doesn't stand up to scrutiny:

expelled members, who are allowed to attend services and receive spiritual guidance,

"allowed to attend services" implies they get to join in with their fellow worshippers; in fact, they are forced to come in after the meeting starts and leave before it ends because they are not allowed to speak or interact with anyone in the congregation... and their willingness to do so, or their lack of compliance, will be used by the elders to determine whether they are reinstated (months from now, or years).

"receive spiritual guidance" is a stretch. They are allowed to come to the elders and plead for reinstatement; is that spiritual guidance? And they are expressly forbidden to engage in "spiritual discussions" of any kind with family members, in the event that such family members speak to them at all (restricted to "necessary family business").

Somebody pass this on to the reporter, if you're in his/her town.

• Anitar
    Anitar

By their fruits, you will know them. Jesus said if 99 of his sheep were in the pasture, he would go personally to find the one sheep who was lost and bring him back, and instructed his congregation to do the same.

Maybe if the jehovah's witnesses actually read their bible, they would know that.

Anitar

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

Anitar: That's the problem, they read THEIR Bible, not THE Bible. Thus it is easy to twist things their way.

Jesus said to go find the lost sheep so it could be rescued. The WT looks for the lost sheep, asks why it wandered away, accuses it of rebelliousness, asks what it did wrong while it was gone, and then kills it for getting lost in the first place. Leaving the dead sheep, the shepherd then returns to the flock and tells them he couldn't find the sheep, or the sheep was eaten by wolves (basically true, since the shepherd IS a wolf), and tells the flock "okay, let's get back to work. Forget him, he's gone." Very cute indeed.

Any WT lurkers care to disprove my accusations?? I triple dare you.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Randy

Once again a good quality bit of news. Thank you.

I felt the LOVE ..... did'nt the rest of you?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Thanks for the post Randy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit