Finally told the family

by unique1 10 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

While at the great corporate monster we call Walley World, I ran into my uncle and aunt. All of my family with the exception of my parents are not and have never been in the truth. Because of this I never really saw them much growing up. They were worldly. I have told no one in my family of my estrangement mainly because for 1: I didn't want to cause a big ruccus between them and my parents and 2: because I didn't want everyones overwhelming sympathy.

In talking with my aunt, she told me that my mothers asthma has been really, really bad lately and that she coughs constantly, every time she tries to talk. I replied, really? She said: You should call your mother more often. I replied: I would but I don't think she will talk to me. We are on the outs.

Aunt: Why?
    Me: Because I am not a Jehovah's Witness anymore.

Aunt: Excuse me, could you repeat that?

Me: I am not a Witness anymore.

She smiled and said, the whole family has been taking bets on that. We were RIGHT!!! So what religion are you now.

Me: I am pretty fed up with organized religion as a whole, so now I serve God in my own way, personally.

We had a long discussion and she invited me to Thanksgiving and Christmas with the family. It was so nice. I hope they can convince my mom and dad to come around. My uncle made the statement that he could never shun his children, even if they were murderers. Kind of makes me wish I was his kid instead.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Way to go!

It's so nice to have your family back.

• juni
    juni

That's nice uniqueone!

Yep. Your parents are the losers in this. I'm happy that you have nice relatives who are reasonable!

Juni

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Unique 1,

Its always nice to hear a postivie experience with family members no matter who they are. Thanks for posting this.

My husband also has bouts of Asthma where he cannot talk. He was prescribed a great medication and has had no problems since with coughing while talking.

It's Called Benzonatate... 200mg 4 times a day.......He literally could not produce one sentence without hacking up a storm before this.

r.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Hope you have a great time with them on the holidays!

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

THAT'S AWESOME!!

I'm very happy for you...

• Nowman
    Nowman

Thats what happened to me too 15 years ago. I never really saw my family growing up because my parents and one great aunt were witnesses. So, when I left home at 18, my dad's father and stepmother took me in until I found a place, they were so happy I was not a JW anymore. Same thing with my mom's family. I could attend all the holiday get togethers, it was awesome. It was like getting to know my immediate family all over again. I loved it...

I am happy for you, maybe they may feel bad for you for all that wasted time, but I know they are so happy to be be able to associate with you as family, to make up for lost time.

Nikki

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I never totally lost family that are not JW, and have already confided in one of them about my fade.
    It's very helpful to have family support.

YOU GO GIRL.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

That's AWESOME, Unique1. I seriously believe we secretly have the same family and somehow don't know it.

My extended family has welcomed me for the holidays this year... I'm very excited about it!

Good Girl

• unique1
    unique1

Wow, I didn't realize how many had the same experience. That is awesome. We always focus on how bad it hurts when family leaves, but never really talk about family gained. I realize that some gain no family because their entire family is witnesses. Perhaps we can become their family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit