Who did Jesus die for?

by Perry 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Perry
    Perry

Lily wrote:

the majority of mankind will be saved

This seems a departure from your initial statements about Christ dying for everyone. If Christ died for everyone and some were not saved, then it was not a complete propitiatory sacrifice. If however he died for everyone in its scope out of every nation, language, tribe, and people, and died effectually for those that were given him, then there is no discrepancy.

At any rate, I don't have a problem with the Majority of manking being saved as you put it. That would mean over 50%. If God adopts over 50 %... hooray. However, could you explain that view in light of Jesus' words below?

"For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

I guess the main problem I have with your slant on things is the idea that there are two salvations running (presently) concurrently. In other words, I don't have a problem with there being a resurrection of the believers and non-believers (past) - all will give an account; nor a problem with the separating of people, possibly some of the same people if not all - (future). What I have a problem with is the idea that we can reject Christ now (presently), die and then grow to perfection later, as the WT puts it. Or, as you put it, I believe that Christ will give many ample opportunity to change their ways. The whole point of the OT is that we can't change our ways. All we can do is build better illlusions of righteousness. There were not more professional doers of righteousness than the Pharisees; they were very, very careful. Yet, Jesus said that our righteousness must surpass theirs. How in the world are we going to do that if not through divine election, sanctification, and eventual glorification?

I personally believe that the highest plateau that humans can reach in our state of captivity to sin is to imagine ourselves better than our neighbors, which is just another sin, not to mention ignorant.

In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

As it is written:"There is none righteous, no, not one;

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES

A secondary problem that I have is the tone you use when describing the character of both God and us in our current state:

It is not good news if 99.9% of mankind will die as sinners when God knows Satan is misleading them. And they are dealing with depression, anxiety, imperfection and a host of other problems. And we certainly cannot say "God is love" but yet only chooses to save a few people in relation to the whole world. The few chosen are to be heirs with Christ. They do not represent all saved. When all is done, the majority of mankind will be saved. Now that is good news! Lilly

First, only the WT uses the 99.9% language. The majority of mainstream Christian schlolars do not. Second, Satan is misleading a captive race, pretty easy to do. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. His successful deceptions are mostly a result of our captivity, not the cause of it. Next, the fact that we experience depression, anxiety, imperfection and a host of other problems on our part, does not constitute an emergency of responsibility on God's part. We are not his children unless we are "born again". We are Adam's children and there is NOTHING we ourselves can do to change that.

Once we are born again, THEN God takes responsibility for his family like any mother or father would. And, let me tell you brother, with God Himself as your Father there is nothing that he will not give you, including much teaching and discipline. We cannot fully appreciate being chosen without understanding the utter hopeless condition we are in by being born into the wrong family. It is our problem, not His.

For example, what would have been Christ's response to the thief next to him on the cross if his attitude had been, " I am a criminal because I experienced depression, anxiety, imperfection and a host of other problems, SAVE US" .

Read the text:

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" "40 But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong." 42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Did you notice the simple process that led up to his salvation? First, a TRUE admission of guilt. Then, with the FULL understanding of his utterly pitiful and hopeless condition, he asked for mercy and relationship.... remember me.

The first criminal's attitude seems to line up more with your view than the last one who was saved:

we certainly cannot say "God is love" but yet only chooses to save a few people
    "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

Basically, that was the attitude of the one that Christ ignored wasn't it? Questioning his ability, goodness, and office of savior. The bible called it insults. Read it again.

When a couple adopts a child, why do we use terms like they are loving, good and noble? Why don't we hurl insults at them and say why didn't you adopt more kids if you think you are so good? It is because we know that they were under no obligation to adopt any child.

You made several comments about reconciling the whole bible; could you reconcile your views with Paul's statements below?

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. 19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use? 22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory-- 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Pauls' above statements dove tail nicely into my final problem with some of your views - Your problem with God hardening some people.

I have personally experienced how God hardens some people for his own purposes. My own mother and father have refused to see my 17 month old son and well as be the slightest bit interested in my next son due to be born in January. They have told my wife that she should leave me because I am leading her to death. And, they have defamed my character as a hater of God to former friends and family. I am a 4th generation Witness and I cannot recall ever hearing any in my immediate family say the words "I love you" to each other before my 23rd birthday. And then, it was only at my request and prompting. This, inspite of my father being a MS and both my brothers being elders. No matter what I accomplished, my parents never said they were proud of me. I tried for years to impress them.

It was precisely because of their hard hearts that started me looking elsewhere for significance, which eventually led me to Christ. I pray almost daily that God will have mercy on them and bring them to grace and save them. But, it is his good pleasure whom he gives to Christ.

If God chooses to harden some people (who are already lost and as good as dead) in order to bring the objects of his mercy into relationship, what of it?

• M.J.
    M.J.

Heb 9:27 (ASV) And inasmuch as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this cometh judgment;

Rev 20:11-15 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

When does this judgment occur?

Rev 20:5-6 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

ARGGGH! Perry I just posted a long reply to you and hit enter and lost the whole thing. I am so mad. Anyway - I will try to type it up again later and get back to you. You make some good points. Lilly

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Hi Perry,

I noticed you gave me more scriptures to look up but did not answer my Q to you about Revelation 20:4,5 - it says that there is a first resurrection and that is for those who will reign in heaven with Christ for 1,000 years, then says "the rest of the dead did not come to life until the 1,000 years ended". This clearly shows there is more than one resurrection.

The scripture that you noted about the "narrow gate" is talking about the way into heaven. Remember according to Revelation 20, only some people take part in the FIRST resurrection, this is the heavenly one. The second death has no hold over them for they are immortal. They recieve eternal life. The way into eternal life is only through Jesus, I agree with that. And that road is cramped and narrow and few find it. I noticed your bible then says the broad road leads to "destruction" - well we need to understand if when this was written those who wrote it thought it meant total destruction. I looked up the Greek word here in a concordance and it could also mean - judgement. This verse could be saying "on the narrow road you will recieve eternal life - on the broad road, which many take it will lead to your judgement". What judgement?

Matthew 25:31 speaks about the seperating of sheep and the goats. This event is yet for the future and is not going to happen in a literal day as I already stated in a previous post. But I would like to make this point too - this seperating is not for believers but unbelievers who are given time to come in line with God's word and to be subject to the heavenly kingdom on earth. Here Jesus is depicted as sitting on a throne in all his heavenly glory. It says he "comes" to do this with the Angels and therefore this means he "comes" to earth. So we know this seperating takes place on earth. If those who learn about Christ accept him they are sheep. Those who stubbornly refuse to obey are goats. Notice the reward of the sheep here: Verse 34 - the kingdom. It does not say eternal life. God fortold his heavenly kingdom would reign upon the earth some day and all those who choose to can live under its rulership. The goats will be cut off forever. (second death) This is not a one day period though as they would need proof the kingdom rule has begun, satan is bound for a time so as not to mislead them, once they learn righteousness Satan is loosed to try and mislead the earth again. This is a testing time for them. After this, he is destroyed and those who follow are cut off permamently. This cannot apply to believers now in Christ here is why?

We are promised if we put faith in Christ now, we have our sins blotted out. We are given the deposit of Holy Spirit which testifies to us that at a later date we will recieve our inheritance - the heavenly nature and ability to enter the heavenly realm with Christ for 1,000 years. Paul said beleivers have already "passed from death to life". The seperating of sheep and goats which is also known as the judgment must be for others. Christian believers are tested and tried now and must remain faithful to death. So it is not the church that is tested when Satan is let loose. The church is already faithful although living in the world controlled by Satan. It cannot be Christ's church or body of believers. If so we would be tested 3x. This has to apply to the unbelievers brought back to life.

What do you think about this resurrection scripture?

1 Corinthians 15:23-25 23 But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.

How many resurrections are there according to this verse? God has an oder for everything. He is still collecting the first fruits.

Now I am not saying there are two classes of Christians. The bible mentions different time periods or ages. I believe we are in the gospel age where the church or bride of Christ is being gathered. The only hope being held out is for receiving the heavenly calling and nature and reigning with Christ. So all Christians or those who believe now go to heaven and wherever else the Lord travels. There is no earthly hope held out at this time. I do believe in the future the earth will be restored but that is later on. The WT and some other groups have to read the scriptures in their proper time frame. They are jumping ahead and teaching that the only time to be saved is now and if not you are destroyed at the end of it or sent to hellfire. That is not the gospel. We are supposed to preach good news for everyone. We are Christ's embassadors of the "reconciliation". Have you read these words of Paul? We are to preach that through Christ the world will eventually be recognciled back to God. He will accomplish this thru his reign of which the church will have a part. They will be kings and priests. But again, the only offer on the table at this time is to be heavenly heirs with Christ.

The reward for staying on the "narrow" road to eternal life is only given in this time period until the close of the gospel age. Then the next age begins and the kingdom will come to earth so that then God's will - is to be done on earth as in heaven. But that is so long, I will address it in another post. Also, it is hard for me to see this small window to type so please pm me if you want to discuss this more or email me at : [email protected] Perry - you made some other points I will address later. Lilly

• Perry
    Perry

LILLY,

Essentially, you are saying that because God is a loving God he must save (ADOPT) all ( or the majority) of us, otherwise he's not a loving God. I believe I have already addressed why I don't believe this is accurate.

Again, can you please reconcile your speculations with these verses in Romans below?

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. 19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?'" 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use? 22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory-- 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Perry,

Please go back and read all the scriptures in Romans 9 starting with verse 1 until the end of the chapter. The reason I say this is you left out many scriptures that show who it is exactly that is being addressed here. this chapter is not talking about God choosing only a few who will be saved. It is about the nation of Isreal and why the nation of Isreal as a majority would not be adopted as Sons of God and be in the new convenant. Paul contrasts the fact that the fleshly nation of Isreal even though they had God's favor, the law, the prophets and the lineage to Christ were not obedient and thus God do not choose them to be saved at this time meaning to be of the heavenly calling and heirs of Christ. But rather showed mercy upon those who are not his people in the flesh and ingrafted them into the convenant. the natural Jews may have thought it was unfair as they were given the promises at first but then are told that God "will show mercy upon who he will show mercy" see verse 25.

Can God harden someones heart as to not accept the Good news about his son? Of course he can. But if he then kills them because of this hardening, he will not be just and loving like we teach him to be. Think about it: it would be totally beyond a person's control to choose to serve God and yet he will kill them anyway? I am a mere human and this is not justice in my puny eyes.

You may be surprised to learn that God did not harden the hearts of the nation of Isreal forever, but only for a time. Romans 11 shows that God is not yet finished with the fleshly nation of Isreal. It says that their hearts are hardened only UNTIL the full number of the Gentiles comes in (into the new convenant) see verse 25,26. When they are not hardened any longer they will probably not be able to be partakers of the divine nature but can still be saved in that they will not be destroyed or removed from the earth forever. Paul says the hope is that the calling and choosing of the gentiles will incite some Jews to jealousy that they may be repented when the time comes and be saved too.

God certainly can and does choose who he wants to fit his purpose such as the case of Pharaoh for one. But in these texts Paul was showing he did not choose unjustly because Isreals hardening was due to their own unbelief. Not because God on a whim decided to pick others over them.

A good overview of all the points made in Romans 9 are also in Romans chapter 10 and 11. I would suggest you read all three chapters in their complete context.

These texts though have no bearing on the total that will be saved. It is simply addressing those of the heavenly calling (those being saved now) and contrasting the natural Jews who were chosen and Gentiles against those who did not believe and thus were not chosen. Paul was also trying to show that even though only a few of the natural Jews believed, God did not change his mind on his promise for salvation coming forth from Zion (Isreal) only now his Holy Nation is made up of a remnant of natural Jews and the rest Gentiles. But they are the new Isreal.

I hope I explained this well enough. I am only a human. I know many will not agree as most religious groups teach the total opposite which is that now is the time to be saved. Repent and accept christ or he will kill you when he returns. I'm sorry but when I take all the scriptures in their context as a whole, I do not share this view. Although I am in the minority, we have to recogncile the idea that God is Love with all the other scriptures. I firmly believe only the Church the body of Christ who will be heirs are being called out, tried and tested during this age. Therefore there is no second death at the end of it. That is later after the judgement of the rest of mankind. The church is being judged now and only them. Lilly

* I will add more scriptures in another post so they are easier to read.

• Perry
    Perry
    Can God harden someones heart as to not accept the Good news about his son? Of course he can.

Lilly, why is this so hard for you to understand? You keep mis-characterizing God and try to put him in our debt.

Jesus said," No one can come to me unless the Father enables him". Now, you can choose to believe that or choose not to believe that. It will effect your view of scripture.

God does not harden hearts so that they might not believe as you croon about above, for the simple reason that NONE of us are capable of coming to Christ and believing on our own in the first place! The flesh is simply not interested in God, Christ or righteousness.

How can God keep someone from accepting the Good News who is not capable of believing it? Get it? It doesn't make sense. The reason that God hardens some people is the reason that he gives in scripture, not the reason that you give:

"What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory"

God sometimes hardens already lost people to drive the objects of his mercy into his arms or to display his power in the objects of his wrath for the benefit of his children.

Your refusal to believe Christ's assessment about your [human] character above sets up a false dilemma that you have a problem with:

But if he then kills them because of this hardening, he will not be just and loving like we teach him to be.

He doesn't kill them because He hardened them. They naturally die because of their sin-guilt resulting from being born into the wrong family - that jive turkey Adam.

Mercifully though, he will accept ALL who come to his Son in faith and will adopt them into his undying family. Do all come? No. Only those called...... adopted.

Now we get to the root of the problem that drives your illogical need to justify God.

Think about it: it would be totally beyond a person's control to choose to serve God and yet he will kill them anyway? I am a mere human and this is not justice in my puny eyes

You just can't bring yourself to accept how helpless we are can you? It is total captivity, and depravity Lilly, not because of God's hardening but because of our nature. Human pride is absolutely opposed to accepting this and the ego is dealt a sever blow by this doctrine, I know. But, it is totally beyond a person's control to choose to serve God [appropriately]. God spent thousands of years making this one point. It's hard to believe, but it is absolutely true.

This, I'm afraid is where we part ways theologically. It is not necessary to agree on these points to be adopted into God's family. All we need to do is admit our guilt, ask Christ to live his life through us, and respond to his guaranteed acceptance obediently as he makes us able to.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Perry, for some reason I cannot post my response to you. I have tried several times. I will try making a new thread, then I will pm you.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Perry,

I still am unable to post my response. I wrote out a long document citing the scriptural reasons why the ransom is for all but cannot seem to copy and paste it here.

We DO agree that no one comes to the father unless he is drawn by him. What we disagree on is that you believe only some people will ever be drawn by God and I believe that someday ALL people will be drawn by him.

Right now he is drawing those who will be heirs with Christ. They are a relatively small number and that is why at this time most of the world do not believe in God.

I would not expect anything less from a loving God that in his due time, he will drawn all men unto him and reconcile them back to himself.

It is the church systems that started teaching that unless you obey God now, you will be forever lost. They often cite what happend to Sodom and Gemorrah and say at the end time, all unrepentent sinners will meet the same fate. However, Jesus himself says that they WILL be back in judgement day. If they repent then, they will be saved. (Matthew 10:15)

Paul calls Christians "Ministers of the Reconcilliation" - he said we (the church) are reconciled now and should TRY to persuade men to become reconciled to God of their own volition. But if they do not, in DUE TIME their salvation will be testified too. In other words - the will get their chance. (2Corinthians 5 -starting in verse 11). He then says in due time the ransom for ALL will be testified (proven, demonstrated, fulfilled) to all.

In John 12:32 Jesus promised that when he was lifted up, he would "draw all men unto himself". Again, all men will be drawn but only in due time.

There are different time spams mentioned in the bible and often we mix them together.That is why many feel that the judgement is a single literal day. Rather than a time to teach, heal and save the rest of mankind.

These are merely a few texts. I have many more in the document I cannot seem to copy over. If you Perry or anyone else would like a copy of this please email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you. Peace be with you, Lilly

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

one more thing. I am NOT saying there are two classes of Christians. There is no offer held out right now for living in a redeemed earth like the WT teaches. The only hope of Christian believers is and was always to be heirs with Christ, recieve the new nature, and be able to join him in the heavenly realm.

I do believe when all men are saved and it is testified in due time that God will restore all on the earth and people will live on it forever. But, that offer is not held out yet. We are still in the time called the gospel age - next is the millennial age. At the end of this age no one will be destroyed for not becoming a Christian. There spiritual eyes will simply be opened to truth and they will learn righteousness (which simply means to believe in God).

The teaching of two classes by the WT is simply to elevate a small group over the other and comes from mistranslation of scripture regarding the "little flock" and "other sheep" which are Jewish believers (little flock) and Gentile believers (other sheep). They are both to become one flock and will be in one pen - a heavenly one! Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit