Why was the WTBT$ part of the UN?

by mama1119 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mama1119
    mama1119

Does anyone know the reason/benefits that the WT had being a member of the UN, besides library card???

• AlanF
    AlanF

I believe that at first, all there was to it was to get a library card. This, of course, ignored the fact that to get it, the responsible officials hypocritically and cynically had to agree to support the UN charter. But as time went by, and a small number of officials, such as in the Legal and Service Departments, began to realize that being an Associated NGO had additional advantages for the Society, they began to use this to gain entrance to UN related forums such as the UN Council on Human Rights, the US Congress, and so forth.

These officials pretty much kept this quiet from other officials who didn't need to know. I know this for a fact, because shortly after the UN story broke in 2001, on the day after the UN story broke in the UK magazine The Guardian, I called several WTS officials and they said they had no knowledge of the Society's association, and were surprised about it.

AlanF

• zeroday
    zeroday

The WTS was under tremendous pressure from Europe and Eastern European countries. They were trying to ban them as a cult and mind control organization. Countries like France was trying to revolk their tax exempt states and tax them at an extremely high tax rate. The WTS figured if they became mainstream like all other religions by joining the UN as an NGO they would be accepted on the world scene as mainstream. That's my take anyway.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I am suspicious of the reason they gave ie to obtain a library card, as several articles published since they got found out said they didn't need a library card at that time. I doubt those involved will ever tell us the real reason they joined, but I would think it's the same reason that they do most things - if there's gainin it for them, then go for it. They won the right to preach and practice their religion openly in countries where it had been previuosly denied to them while they were members, so maybe that was the real reason they joined - to spread their crap a bit further afield.

• dido
    dido

It`s got to be for financial gain.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Just so that Eric Beveridge could refer to and borrow books from the UN library, to help him in writing the Awake, simple!!

fokyc

• badboy
    badboy

ERIC BEVERIDGE,WHO HE?

• onesong
    onesong

Sending missionaries on UN flights---MUCH cheaper. (Just a guess, but money is likely involved)

• fokyc
    fokyc

Badboy,

Read this thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/99933/1.ashx

re Eric Beveridge who is a senior writer in WTBTs in New York

fokyc

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AlanF..As I understood it,they could have gotten the library card with out joining the UN NGO..All they had to do was present the company seal..With that in mind,do you suppose the library card had nothing to do with it.That there were other motives?..If you can get a library card without joining the UN NGO,why join the UN NGO?...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit