You've tried to quit smoking, but you can't. Why not?

by AlmostAtheist 15 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Well done so far Dave, I hope you stick with it.

I was a heavy smoker before I became a jw, and had a lot of trouble quitting. To be honest, I never totally quit, I had an odd cigarrette during my years as a jw, and always felt terribly guilty afterwards and resolved not to do it again. When I da'd, I foolishly got into the habit regularly again, and within a few months was smoking 20 - 30 a day. I tried to quit when Trev quit, but whereas he has managed so far, I lasted just under 3 weeks, and though I've cut down a bit, I still smoke at least 15 a day, sometimes more if we go out.

I'd like to stop eventually, but I think I'm a good way off summoning up the strength to make another attempt yet.

Linda

• chiddy
    chiddy

smoking is for fools

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>smoking is for fools

So you're saying I should be true to myself and start smoking again? ;-)

Dave

• agapa37
    agapa37

Congradulations on that victory.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

I'm going to quit this Sunday w/ my wife. We've tried before. I cracked after about 5 weeks, she made it about 7 or 8 (I'm sure she could have made it if it weren't for me, tough to quit when you know someone you live with has cigarettes). I had gotten laid off and was pretty stressed. I'll be using the nicotine inhaler thing. The finality of knowing that I can't smoke again stresses me out enough to really want a cigarette. I believe I had also smoked a J after four weeks of not smoking and that didn't help either.

Cigarette......... prepare to pleasure me. (sorry almostatheist) I've only got one day left

I had such terrible nightmares with it I had to stop the patch (this is one of the side effects). Also where ever I put on the patch, like an arm or leg, that limb would ache terribly. After a while it didn't seem to help anyway. I tend to be a very nervous person and worry a lot. Cigarettes really calm me down.

I used the patch a long time ago. Made it a month. I never had the nightmares, but I definitely had the aches. The last three sentences apply to me as well.

• whyizit
    whyizit

My Mom and my Aunt both smoked for several years, both eventually did quit. They both told me that when they had a cigarette, they felt like they had a friend. It was a security thing.

My Dad smoked and never quit until he died of lung cancer. It was the nicotine addiction that over-came him. He didn't ever desire to quit. He LIKED to smoke and it didn't matter the cost.

In one instance, it's like a pacifier....in the other, it is like cocaine.

I've heard that smoking is kind of hard to get used to. You get sick at first and it tastes awful... But after awhile you get the hang of it. I guess it will be the same way when you try to stop. It will be hard to do at first.

The interesting thing is, people who have smoked and quit seem to be the ones who are most offended by cigarette smoke!

Keep up the good fight! Man, you have overcome much bigger obstacles than this. I KNOW you can do it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit