You've tried to quit smoking, but you can't. Why not?

by AlmostAtheist 15 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Today at 5pm it will be two weeks since I last smoked. I'm using the nicotine gum again, and it seems to be doing a good job. I got close to bumming one last night, but I grabbed a gum instead. So far, so good.

I'm lucky -- the gum is working for me. Some people report that they stopped smoking without any gum or patch or whatever and got thru it fine. Others say the same thing, but it was hell.

Still others (those that this thread is directed to) report that despite their very best efforts, they simply cannot stop smoking. They WANT to, they just CAN'T. So of those folks I'd like to ask, what happens? What wells up in you that drives you back to smoking?

Again, out of pure luck, I reached a point where I actually didn't enjoy it anymore. It hurt my throat, it didn't taste good anymore, it made me cough more than it used to. I was getting my nicotine fix, but that's all.

I don't think it pays to be all high and mighty -- "Why don't you just stop buying them? That's what I did!" -- since everyone is different. The addiction is stronger in some than in others. I'm curious about whether we can figure out what the core difference is that keeps some people addicted while others can break free.

Looking forward to your comments,

Dave

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can recall you began your struggle against smoking a while back I wish you all the best in conquering it. I suppose it has to do with brain chemistry that doesn't like sudden changes and deprivations but it soon adapts to the new pattern.

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

I quit at the beginning of 2005 using Zyban. I couldn't believe how easy it was(after trying numerous times over the past 20 years and never lasting longer than a few stressful days)....but by the end of 2005, because my hubby and all of our friends still smoked, I started having the odd one on the weekend when we would have a few beers. My "excuse" was, I only have a few when I'm drinking....which lasted for awhile.

Then, slowly, it has progressed to having one before bed during the week as well(to wind down from the day), to having a couple in the morning with my coffee, and to having a couple at lunch.

Basically, other than smoking in my car(which is new and I refuse to stink it up), and taking smoke breaks at work....I'm right back at it again.

I keep telling myself that when my husband is finally ready to quit, I will do the Zyban thing again and kick the habit once and for all. It's tough, really tough.

You hang in there and keep it up!!! You're doing great.

LIG

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Keep it up Dave!

I quit around 3 months ago, and I'm still not smoking. Linda tried as well, but lasted just over a fortnight, and is still smoking, but has cut down, and hopes to stop soon.

It's not been easy, but it has been worthwhile.

Good luck!

Trev

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

I quit 2 years ago using the book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr

I started again about 6 months ago when things were pretty stressful here and reread the book after smoking for a month and found it even easier to stop smoking again. It's a great book, costs the equivelent of a couple of pakcs of fags and it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0141026898/sr=8-7/qid=1159543089/ref=pd_bbs_7/002-8613028-3000032?ie=UTF8&s=books

Copy and paste the above link into a browser to find the book

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I quit in February. I used a combination of the patch, zyban, and some herbal kit all at the same time. We also had a smoking cessation clinic at work, so there were a few of us to support each other. 50% of us succeeded in quitting.

After a month of not smoking my doctor told me I was past the physical addiction, but might still experience phsycological addiction. I still get occasional cravings, usually when I just wake up or get stressed about something.

I also had to change certain habits. I no longer stay anywhere near people or situations where I may see or smell a cigarette. If I walk past someone who is smoking I hold my breath until I'm past them - I don't want to smell the smoke and start me craving.

I am still looking for excuses to start again. I think it's a lifelong fight.

W

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

I agree Finally Free-I think it's like any addiction(alcoholism, etc.)-it's not something you ever get over, it's a battle you will always fight.

I remember my dad used to be a heavy smoker, but when he joined the JW's he quit cold turkey. As a teenager though, I recall we would be walking by somebody who would be smoking a cigarette, and my dad would just take a big whiff.

I questioned him, and he said that he just loved the smell of it, even though he would no longer have one. He said the craving never went away 100%....

• rebel8
    rebel8

1 reason it's hard to quit is because the tobacco industry is evil and has been purposely making their products as addictive as they can. That's why people are finding they really need nicotine replacements while quitting rather than going cold turkey.

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/light_cigarettes

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=pressreleases&agId=Eeohhs2&prModName=dphpressrelease&prFile=pr_060829_nicotine.xml

http://fctc.org/documents/wntd2004_brochure_en.pdf evil

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Dave..I`ve been told nicotine is as addictive as heroin..Thats a tough road..I have friends who have tried many times to quit.They are still trying..Even if you mess up,get back on the road to recovery ASAP..I will continue to support my friends in thier efforts to quit..I wish you success...OUTLAW

• restrangled
    restrangled

I quit smoking at age 25 for 5 years. This is when I first found out I was pregnant. When we moved to a new state, and started up our own business there was much stress. We had someone move in with us to help take care of the boys. She was a smoker. Between the smell and the stress I asked for one cig and picked up like I never quit. It is now 17 years later.

I have gone 2 weeks many times, and once 3 weeks, using the patch. I had such terrible nightmares with it I had to stop the patch (this is one of the side effects). Also where ever I put on the patch, like an arm or leg, that limb would ache terribly. After a while it didn't seem to help anyway. I tend to be a very nervous person and worry a lot. Cigarettes really calm me down.

Each time I try to quit, I sink into deep depression and every day gets worse. I went to the Dr. to get Zyban or something similar and he could not prescribe it for me because I had 2 seizures during my teenage years. I know that nicotine acts as an antidepressant on the brain and believe this is my problem.

The other problem is, I still enjoy it. I only smoke outside, no cars, no restaurants etc. It' seems it has become such a part of me that I have given up.

Congrats on your accomplishment so far!

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit