Another family forced apart.

by Gilberto 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/content/yarmouthmercury/news/story.aspx?brand=GYMOnline&category=news&tBrand=GYMonline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED28%20Sep%202006%2015%3A26%3A37%3A993

(edited to get the link to work, if it don't get you straight there go down to "more news" "Couple's faith tested")

Couple's faith tested

MILES JERMY

28 September 2006

THEY were once devoted believers - but a husband and wife say their faith has been tested and their family torn apart after they were thrown out of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Members of the Bradwell congregation - including their only child, a daughter - are now forbidden from speaking to David and Brenda Gibbons since they were forced to

leave.

They were thrown out by a judicial committee at Great Yarmouth Kingdom Hall in July, after writing a letter containing personal criticism to another member of the congregation.

Declared “revilers”, people who speak ill of others, the decision to “disfellowship” the couple was upheld on appeal to the Jehovah's Witnesses' British branch in London.

They have not seen daughter Leah, 25, since being forced

to leave the organisation.
    Retired merchant seaman

Mr Gibbons, 62, and Mrs Gibbons, 64, who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, are devastated by the experience.

Mrs Gibbons told the Mercury: “It is heartbreaking that Leah is not allowed to speak to us because of a scriptural point of view.

“I do regret joining the Jehovah's Witnesses because then we would still have our daughter.
    “We were renowned for being a close family; to love a child who has died is bad, to

lose a child who does not want to talk to you is quite heartbreaking.

“People need to know the consequences of stepping

out of line - so many families have been split up and

now we have lost a dear daughter.”

She added: “No religion should impose that on people, but there is very precise manipulation of the way believers think and feel.”

Jehovah's Witnesses are instructed to shun expelled members, who are allowed to attend services and receive spiritual guidance, but cannot be welcomed back into the congregation until they apologise for their actions.

Mr and Mrs Gibbons are adamant they have done nothing wrong and cannot return to the movement that was, until recently, central to their lives.

Mr Gibbons said: “The elders could have helped resolve the situation, but I believe they wanted me out because I was outspoken and this was an opportunity to remove me.
    “Our Christian brothers and sisters would like to speak to us, but are fearful of what

action might be taken against them.

“We were loved by so many people, but now when they see us in the street they turn away The body of elders has created a climate of fear amid the congregation, which is divided into cliques.

“Even if I had committed a crime I would expect my family's support, but Brenda and I have done nothing wrong and yet we are completely isolated.

“What is the good of any religion that takes your daughter away from you

and does what has been done

to us.”

Mr Gibbons was stripped of his position as a ministerial servant in June; he

and his wife had been worshipping with the Gorleston congregation until their expulsion.

Worshippers are not told why a member is removed and

Mr Gibbons, who had managed the accounts at Bradwell Kingdom Hall, feared they would think he had been thrown out for stealing

money.

The last few months have been an ordeal for the couple after losing contact with a daughter they had been so close to and who encouraged them to join the Jehovah's Witnesses 14 years ago.

All they are left with now is memories of their time with Leah and a gallery of family photos at their home in Kingfisher Close.

Mr Gibbons added: “It was really Leah who got us into the church as she had a friend at school who was a Witness.

“Her father came round to visit us; we had a Bible study and joined after going along to worship for a year.

“We were renowned for being a close-knit family and well known for riding around together on a tandem cycle. We shared so many jokes and good times.

“This is tearing us apart,

we were always so full of

fun, laughter and life but

now just do not feel whole anymore.”

The Gibbons' daughter, Leah, refused to talk to the

Mercury when she was approached, and Trevor Gaskin, the presiding Jehovah's Witness also declined the comment.

"Revilers", haven't heard of anyone being d'fd for that. I think Mr Gibbons didn't keep his opinions to himself and became a pain to the elders. But at 62 and 64 how heartbreaking it is to have your daughter disown you.

This may make the daughter see the WT for what it is. It seems they were a close family and Mr Gibbons was probably one of those "characters". Don't know, just guessing.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I am so glad that this has been in the local paper. It would be even better if some of the national daily papers picked it up as well, then more people would be able to see what this evil cult does to families when one or more of the members doesn't toe the wts line.

I hope that in time the couples daughter sees sense and leaves as well.

• jwcol
    jwcol

How is it possible that this is so common? The general populace gets WT mags that says how people should be treated. Is there some kind of secret book that tells the elders to do this? Is it that they just WANT to treat people like this? Why the eagerness to discard people????

• juni
    juni

It's called "bait and switch" jwcol. It happens all too often. All over the world. They present a rosy picture and once you've taken the "hook" they yank it to set it. Then if you step out of line you're in for DFing. Unless, UNLESS you are friends of the elders.

If revilers can be DFed then I know 99.9% of the cong. including elders would qualify for DFing.

Poor couple! My heart goes out to them.

Juni

• Been there
    Been there

Maybe someone from around their area could point them to this board. Or maybe we could have a world wide letter / card campaign sending them our condolences and give them support, many on this board know how they are feeling. Wouldn't that be something alot of sympathizers sending them cards from all over the world. Do they have the white pages in England?

• Mary
    Mary

This just sickens me.......stinking, rotten cult. This is why it should be illegal for any religion to enforce shunning!!!

• sf
    sf

This can easily be printed out and distributed to the householders people!

Let's start showing the world what this organization is TRULY about.

sKally

• Quandry
    Quandry

jwcol- I am with you. Why the EAGERNESS TO DISCARD PEOPLE? They have no conception of the pain and misery they have caused. It is so easy to play the man in power over others and disfellowship. They would take away everything that a person has. They took away the most precious thing this poor couple had--their only child. They are heartless b.......like pharisees who see others as worthless scum. When will the rank and file see how they get be thrown out on any charge at the whim of bullies.

• banished1
    banished1

Im glad they went to the press. This should be done more often by more people. I think Mr. and Mrs. Gibbons articulated their distress and anguish very well. "If I had committed a crime I would expect my family to support me. But I committed no crime!" Very well put. What was the crime for which this mother and father are being shunned and demonized? Disagreeing with the elders! Hope everyone reads this and thinks REAL HARD about studying the bible with the JWs or attending their meetings.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

so sad to have this turmoil

and so late in years.

very sorry to hear this

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit