JW Urban legends

by William Penwell 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I heard the Earth, Wind, and Fire rumor about 15 years ago, while evil smurfs were gaining popularity. (I kid because JW's where I was living then really believed they were demonic.)

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

This one may not be exclusive to JW's, but I've heard them circulate it as well: Supposedly NASA scientists were trying to calculate where the Moon would be during the Apollo missions, so that the trajectory of the spacecraft could be correctly calculated, and, as the story goes, they couldn't get the calculations to work out. Eventually someone said, "Oh, we forgot to allow for the Sun standing still and moving backwards in the sky, as mentioned in the Bible." After that, everything worked out just fine. Even at the time, this one sounded kind of simple minded, and I thought indicated a very childlike view of the solar system.

• quixote
    quixote

Well, I remember this with Gloria Estefan as the protagonist. The same week we heard about it every one in the KH threw out all her tapes, lp's and 45's. (If you don't know what they are you're to young LOL !).

Come on every body do the conga........

• jrjr4189
    jrjr4189

I also remember hearing the John Denver story, but I also heard the same story with Pearl Jam substituted in. Apparently, Eddie Vedder asked all of the J-Dubs to leave at some concert. I remember a couple of Dubs and talking about whether or not we would still listen to Pearl Jam after that. I figured it was a boatload of shit.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bump.

Bangalore

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

we got the myth of The Jesus and Mary Chain in concert in the UK asking Dubs to leave as they couldn't summon up the dark forces with Dubs in the audience!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

The rumor of [John Denver] at one of his concerts asking all JW's to leave.

Years ago I heard a similar rumor, but it was Wayne Newton who asked Witnesses to leave.

I wonder just how many versions of this rumor there are.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

ELO records have demonic backward masking. A bro told me he'd heard an ELO record and it made him feel dizzy.

I'd say ELO records are perhaps a bit over produced and clinical but not demonic.............but that's just me!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

heard variations of all the usual JW urban myths; Smurfs, dodgy concerts, possessed second hand objects, the serial killer not killing the little old sister because of the "big guys" with her, demonized music, unsuccessful attempts to destroy books on the occult, a prostitute who becomes a JW and points to an elder in the cong as being a regular, amazing escapes in wore torn countries by dubs, a brother visiting China with a leaflet hanging out of his back pocket and being secretly followed by local Dubs looking after him, the vaults of the Vatican having all the WTS material and knowing full well that they have the "truth", the Japanese sister whose Yakuza father kills her for not entering the family business and becomes a Dub some time later, and the stupid sister in China who receives a 50 year prison sentence with hard labour for refusing to stop door knocking! the list goes on.

• Mary
    Mary

I did a bit of digging into the John Denver urban legend and discovered something quite different from the official version. Apparently what really happened was that some Witnesses were at a John Denver concert many years ago and he was going to be doing some patriotic songs during the concert. He knew that at the time, his concerts were attended by Witnesses and he kindly suggested that, rather than them being offended by what he was playing, he gave them the option to leave and get fully refunded.

Of course, this spread like wild-fire in Dub-dumb land and before you could say 'Jehovah', the story was that John Denver was obviously in contact with Satan and he could 'feel the presence' of Jehover's peoples and ordered them to leave.

Naturally this was never questioned by any Dubs. The other ridiculous story of John Denver supposedly admitting to Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show, that he hated Witnesses and Johnny Carson ordering him off the stage, has never been proved. There's no clip from the Tonight Show that has ever been produced showing this---it's just another stupid, ridiculous piece of the Urban Legends that Witnesses seem to thrive on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit