JW Urban legends

by William Penwell 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The bloke that threw a 'truth book'(TM) out of a bus or a train or something. It hit another bloke on the head knocking him out. when he came to he read it and became a Dub!

I was informed some sods in beth-hell had deliberately made it up to get into cult legend.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yikes, this is going on two threads. Well I'm going to repeat my posts from the other thread.

There was a legend that a little girl was sexually abused by the smurfs on her underwear. Smurfs and sex, the two scariest things to them. And I also posted this excerpt from the Awake.

g925/22pp.26-27TheTruthHasSetMeFree

However, I was still a new, immature Christian. For example, after sharing in house-to-house preaching on a cold Sunday, I would climb into my car and close the windows. While enjoying the warmth of the sun, I would listen to a cassette recording of the master tape of my music. At the same time, I had also started courting a fine young woman, Debbie, who shared in the Witness work full-time. Once, while I was listening to that tape, Debbie approached the car, and I quickly stopped the tape. Deep down I realized that it was not music fit for a Christian.

Soon after Debbie and I got married, we started having problems. I would often wake up in the middle of the night sweating and shaking. I had terrifying nightmares of wading through rivers of blood while being chased by demons. My poor wife went through a difficult time for many months because of these demon attacks. Although Debbie wasn’t fully aware of the content of my music, she did suspect that it had a bad influence on me, and she voiced that opinion. But I stubbornly insisted: “I’m going to keep this tape forever for sentimental reasons.”

We also argued about many other things, and I would often end up shouting at her. Because we had so many fights, Debbie wisely approached the congregation elders for help. Sometimes an elder would visit and try to help us, but after the elder left, I again got angry with Debbie. Too proud to admit that we needed help, I would say: “What right did you have to go to the elders and talk to them. That is my responsibility. I am the head of the house.” Yes, I had an unbalanced view of headship. Then I would sulk and not talk to her for days. Now I realize that all she was trying to do was save her husband and her marriage.

Then one night Debbie spoke to one of the elders about my guitar playing and the type of music I listened to. So an elder came over and had a long chat with me. I remember that he asked me: “Do you have something in your home that could possibly be the cause of your problems?” At last I opened up and told him about the tape, admitting that it bothered my conscience.—1 Timothy 1:5, 19.

That same night, after the elder left, I decided to get rid of the tape. Debbie and I took it into the backyard and tried to burn it, but it wouldn’t burn. So we dug a hole and buried it. I also sold my guitar. I thought to myself: ‘If I’m going to make the break from debasing music, then I must do it completely.’ And amazingly, I stopped having nightmares. From that time onward, things gradually improved in our marriage.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I doubt the concert promoters and the venue would allow any performer to tell people to walk out without cause. George Harrison came out at the start of the Bangladesh Concert to announce Ravi Shankar would perform. If we did not show complete respect to Shankar, Harrison said he was under no contractual obligation to perform and would leave without performing. Shankar seemed to play through eternity. I think Harrison could not just leave.

Either one of these stories would make the front page of the New York Times. The whole country, perhaps the world, would stop and discuss what happened. It is not quite when the WHO had a stampede but close to it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Man these stories were so big back in the 80's. Without the net to research this stuff, it was just accepted as fact. Why? Because if anyone ever declared BS, it was like calling a brother a liar, and that's an accusation, blah blah blah. So it's just accepted.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Isn't there a legend that an old actress is studying with the JWs (like someone like Betty White, Sandra Dee, or Ginger Rogers?) Sorry, I forget the name.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

C'mon y'all, you're missing the Biggest JW Urban Legend of all:

Jehovah's Witnesses have The Truth

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

funny 00DAD.

There is always a rumor about a celebrity studying. When the Purple Publisher came in, all it did was encourage more rumor

• 00DAD
    00DAD

WH: There is always a rumor about a celebrity studying.

True dat! Yeah, I always thought it was strange when JWs would get all excited because some celebrity or another was studying or was actually Witness.

As if that proved anything! If it did, then we should all be Scientologists because of Tom Cruise and John Travolta!

C'mon, celebrities are some of the most messed up people around. Two words: Lindsay Lohan ...

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I remember being told many years ago, that a large Debenhams store was managed by a JW & that one day a famous composer was intrigued by the background music......anyway to cut a long story short, it turned out the store manager played 'Kingdom Melodies' over the sound system & the 'famous composer' said it was the finest music he had ever heard...........

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350
    the stupid sister in China who receives a 50 year prison sentence with hard labour for refusing to stop door knocking! the list goes on.

If you are referring to Nancy Yuen, that is fact not legend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit