Watchtower.org article on tattoos

by AlmostAtheist 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl
    tattoos "are often the visible sign that a man . . . belongs to a violent, brutal, antisocial, and criminalized subculture."

Oh dear. I'm in trouble. My husband has 13 tattoos, and I have 4.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Many years ago (when I was considering a tattoo), I asked an Elder/Glorious One/Janitor if it was acceptable. His response was that it depended on what the tattoo was.

Can you imagine if this is the case?

''I've had a tattoo on my breast/buttocks''

''Hmmm, sister, the Elder Body need to scrutinise it for an hour or two to make sure it's 'acceptable' .... just wait in the back room and remove your clothing''

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was checking their references because some of them sounded like exaggerations.

From the Borg’s web article:

On a whim, Li, a woman in Taiwan, got a tattoo at age 16. Now she is a 21-year-old office worker. "It bothers me the way my co-workers stare at the tattoo," Li admits. British mental-health worker Theodore Dalrymple says that to many people, tattoos "are often the visible sign that a man . . . belongs to a violent, brutal, antisocial, and criminalized subculture."

I pasted a few of the sentences before Dalrymple’s quote so you can see they are trying to claim that this “expert” believes all tattoos are symbols of violence etc.

So then I found his real statement about this in an article about prisoners with tattoos. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_4_54/ai_83117145 He is talking about criminals and people with tats that depict violent or offensive sayings. He is not talking about a 20 yr old librarian who has a butterfly tattoo on her ankle, for pete’s sake!

OK, it is not really a misquote……just misconstruing what the author meant…..par for the course.

www.jwinfo.8m.com/misquotes.htm

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Another solid reason why I LOVE my ink.

12 and counting.

• daystar
    daystar

Leolaia

I just love the uber-dorky picture of the guy in the hat and the chick with '80s-era earrings. I can't imagine them getting anything else than sneers and snickers in a biker bar or whatever.

ROFLMAO!! That is a dude, leo. And what he's wearing is not 80s style earrings. It looks like a flesh tunnel, perhaps? Or at least they wanted it to look similar.

I wonder, did they hire worldy actors for this photo?Or are these actual dubs? I mean, they're awfully stereotypical of, like, ten years ago.

• Genesis
    Genesis

I have only one thing to add : "Think before you ink" ! Or was it "Ink before you stink" ?!?! whatever...lol.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I had my first tattoo on my 30th birthday, and my then husband had one too, we were both active JWs and nobody saw the tattoo for years. I now have 4 (and dont think I'm part of a criminal sub culture!)

Recently I went to my mums, who is still active with a vest top on, and as one of my tattoos is on my shoulder she saw it and gasped. I just rolled my eyes and told her I'd had it for 7 years and it totally floored her.

I know of a lot of younger dubs who have them, they just keep them hidden. Whatever your view is on them (and I respect everyones) I happen to think they're fascinating and also very sexy!

Poppy

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of Betty Boop winking, somewhere on my chest. I want it to only be visible when I wear low-cut tops. What do you guys think of that?

• VM44
    VM44

bttt

Stealth's post as to how the Watchtower applies one scripture from the OT as a principle for Christians while at the same time ignoring the ignoring what the previous scripture has to say (regarding beards) is indciative of how all subjects (biblical or non biblical) are teated by the writers of the publications.

Selective quoting is in almost every piece of writing that is published by the Watchtower.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit