Your going to the meetings whether you like it or not!

by Atlantis 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Woofer
    Woofer

My mom had a favorite phrase she used "Your going to the meeting unless you are dead or dying".

I hated her saying that!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Woofer:

I hated her saying that!

I would hate being told smething like that too! You have done a good job getting free from it though! And now you have the opportunity to help some other adult to become free, so that they won't tell their daughter the very same thing!

Thanks! Atlantis & Nevada-

• Soledad
    Soledad

I hated going to the meetings and expressed my disgust at the ripe old age of 4------a meeting was canceled because of the snow, I overheard my mom talking to someone on the phone about it, I muttered out loud "good!" She scolded me "how dare you talk about Jehovah like that! aren't you ashamed of yourself??" then came the forced "My Book of Bible Stories" and "School and Jehovah's Witnesses" studies, which I also abhorred. as I got older, I was always expected to answer at the meetings, no matter what. I got elbowed in the ribs very hard if I didn't raise my hand after each question. One day I got very irritated and as a quick reaction struck back with my elbow, hitting my mom in her ribs. She never elbowed me again after that. I would say that, yeah, being forced to go to meetings as a child makes you hate anything that has to do with religion.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::My mom had a favorite phrase she used "Your going to the meeting unless you are dead or dying".
    I hated her saying that!

My parents said that also. Funny thing is, I was forced to go to an assembly when I was really sick and dehydrated once. Ended up in the emergency room at the end of the assembly day. God I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Soledad:

Misanthropic:

Thank you both for your replies!

Being elbowed in the ribs! We understand that kind of treatment totally. I recall, that if we had not answered a question by about paragraph 15 or so, we first got the dirty look, and if we didn't get our hands up in a hurry we knew what was coming next! We certainly know what you mean.

Dehydrated! Good grief! There have been JW babies that have died from that at assemblies. Your fortunate that you survived and we are fortunate that you are here encouraging us.

Thank you both! Atlantis & Nevada-

• parakeet
    parakeet

From "The Best of" files:

Farkel's "Beat That Child!"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/15771/1.ashx

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

When I was little there was no question, I had to go, and if I acted up during meeting I was taken to the restroom and spanked by my mom, but my dad he would just look at me and I knew I was in for it, that is all he had to do was look at us, I knew when we got home it was either the belt, paddle, or hose. As I got older and refused to go anymore, I had a back full of welts, when that didn't work anymore there was no money given to me anymore just a roof over my head and dinner. NOTHING ELSE. funny I can still remember the smell of the kingdumb hall with the many times being taken to the back for a spanking. For me the more my parents tried to force it on me the more I resisted, guilt didn't work, beatings didn't work, taking away everything from me didn't work, maybe I was a born apostate. side note: I am scared to have kids, I really do and I know my wife wants to but I am too scared of fucking up my kids, anyone else with this issue?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

parakeet:

Good show parakeet! Thank you for reminding me of that link and recommending the information contained there. It could help others to find experiences similar to the ones that have been mentioned here.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Wordly Andre:

We also knew that when we started getting those dirty looks that we had better get busy and answer a question, or suffer the consequences! I applaud your courage in helping others Wordly, and I am sure that you will be a big help for others who have had the same experiences.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I have wonderful memories of the "righteous discipline" at meetings, too. I remember distinctly one CA I was taken outside and told by my dad that if Armageddon came tomorrow, Jehovah would look at all the little boys and girls and I would be DEAD because I was a bad little boy for acting up during the assembly.

Sometimes I really love this religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit