What is the difference between a beneficial religion and a damaging one?

by jwfacts 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

What is the difference between religion that benefits its members and one that harms them?

Most people would agree that a religion that resorts to terrorism is damaging. Most here would also agree that the WTS is a damaging religion. Any group that resorts to physical violence or emotional violence (as in shunning) is harmful.

Guilt is often a factor in religion, can motivation by guilt be justified?

Is doctrine important?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

At one time my opinion was that doctrine IS ALL IMPORTANT. Now I do not believe that - good religions are about love. Bad religions are about hate

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Does the religion,improve the quality of life for you and your loved ones or,does it undermine it?..Answer that question and you will know the difference...OUTLAW

• OpenFireGlass
  • freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

ummmm....

as of yet - I haven't found a *beneficial* religion that isn't also damaging in one way or another.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Many mainstream religions give something back to the community through charitible work that is not restricted to members of the religion.

W

• barry
    barry

I remember at the SDAs a top delegate held a meeting and admitted SDAs have in the past used the scarey bits in the book of revelation. Many religions are guilty of this. While SDAs dont have an everlasting hell the scare mongering can still be acheived.

i beleive doctrine has a big part to play in reguard to guilt just like the Roman Catholics the traditional Adventists have used this method to the detriment of their members. As I recall the reformation was all about how a person would be saved by God. Is a person saved by works and is it possible for anyone to be saved if it is by works? This proposition results in an impossible task for anyone and results in a life of not knowing if they are accepted by God. Imagine not knowing if you are a child of God because youre acceptance is based on you being perfect. It is a terrible way to live.

Therefore good religion is based on good doctrine the doctrine of the reformation that we are saved reguardless of our keeping of the commandmants.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Does the religion,improve the quality of life for you and your loved ones or,does it undermine it?..

The problem is that many trapped within a religion such as the WTS think it is improving their life, which it often is, but do not realise that it is also damaging in other areas. I think that the phrase LOVED ONES is key. How can a religion possibly claim to be beneficial if it drives a wedge between families.

It has to extend beyond loved ones though, a religion can not be considered beneficial if it divides communities.

Many mainstream religions give something back to the community through charitible work that is not restricted to members of the religion.

Charity work is a great way for a religious group to break down barriers.

Therefore good religion is based on good doctrine the doctrine of the reformation that we are saved reguardless of our keeping of the commandmants.

Interesting comment Barry. It is a shame the WTS spends so much time emphasising that works are a requirement of salvation.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You can look at most groups and find beliefs that are damaging in one way or another. The issue isn't so much whether they believe things that undermine a person's autonomy but rather how those beliefs are implemented.

Most religions don't use fear to control and manipulate people. If a person wants to leave and join another group it usually doesn't cause much anguish. If they don't accept and follow every one of the beliefs it usually doesn't bring ostracism on them.

The concern boils down to whether the beliefs and practices are strictly enforced leaving a person who decides to believe something different no graceful way out.

Some strict Orthodox religions will literally tear their cloths and denounce a child who leaves the group. Just recently here in Ontario it is suspected that a brother (not a JW) killed his sister because she was seeing a man that was unacceptable to the family and therefore brought shame on them.

Religions that have a strictly enforced us versus them belief system are far more likely to be damaging to members who don't follow the beliefs than those who allow personal freedom. They may have a rule (like excommunication in the Catholic Church) but it is so rarely used no one would bat an eye if they found out someone was excommunicated

• Honesty
    Honesty

Damaging religion:

Beneficial religion:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit