Laptop is dead . . . what do I buy now? Idea (pic)

by garybuss 28 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

My Dell Inspiration 8500 is dead. Dell replaced the motherboard 3 times under 3 year warranty and it died again, now out of warranty.

Now I'm shopping for a new computer. Maybe I'll take a break from laptops. I liked to cruise JWD on the laptop sitting in my recliner. I'm wondering if I can just use a desktop, mount a flatscreen monitor on a swing arm and mount the arm on the heavy side table by the chair.

Anybody got anything like that rigged up? Ideas?

• juni
    juni

Hi Gary.

I think that would work. And then have a cordless keyboard and mouse as I have. Works good. Just keep a supply of batteries for your mouse on hand.

I wondered at first what that contraption was. lol Then after reading further I understood. Good idea actually.

Have a good weekend sir.

Juni

• Nathan Natas
  • garybuss
    garybuss

Here's a picture with a monitor attached.

Here's the URL if the picture won't work.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/modernofficeinteriors_1911_18300339

The laptop was handy but they seem to be throw away. I have two older desktops that run and run and anybody could fix them if they broke with off the shelf parts.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks Nathan Natas, Do you sit at a desk, or how are you doing a comfortable sit and surf?

• badboy
    badboy

IF YOU LOOK ON INTERNET,YOU MIGHT FIND FREE LAPTOPS/COMPUTERS

THE CONSUMER INCENTIVE CENTRE? MIGHT HELP.

• AlanF
    AlanF

You should seriously consider getting an IMAC.

AlanF

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Do you sit at a desk, or how are you doing a comfortable sit and surf?

I sit at a desk, and I could easily launch here on a monologue about my conclusions concerning our desk-bound culture and the increasing incidence of back problems as a result of tightened hip flexor muscle groups, but I won't. I'll just say that if we make it a point to frequently stretch like a cat does, fore and aft, we'll benefit from it.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Hi garybuss,

Your idea is perfect, and I have considered it myself (being a fellow reclining web-surfer).

There are many advantages:

1) You get to pick the exact components you want in the pc because you aren't tied to the laptop form-factor

2) If you need to get hardware repairs or upgrades done on the pc, anybody who knows how to work on one can do it because it isnt using proprietary laptop parts.

3) You can upgrade the entire system unit at any time without worrying that your investment in your LCD panel and other hardware peripherals is going to waste. After all, when you by a laptop you have to also buy the LCD, keyboard, and pointing device whether they are still good or not. They are built into the machine.

If you do this, consider buying an LCD with built in speakers. Many models of LCDs have them. That way your speakers will be right where you need them and will be an "elegant" solution by looking nice and not being off to the side somewhere.

Even though I am using a laptop, for a pointing device I use a trackball. Since the ball is "up" and not down like a mouse, it sits right on the arm of my recliner where I need it and works great.

Good luck,

LDB

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I sit at a desk, and I could easily launch here on a monologue about my conclusions concerning our desk-bound culture and the increasing incidence of back problems as a result of tightened hip flexor muscle groups, but I won't. I'll just say that if we make it a point to frequently stretch like a cat does, fore and aft, we'll benefit from it.

So right you are, Nathan,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit