DID FOSSILS MAKE YOU DOUBT?

by badboy 52 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

DID/DOES DISCOVERY OF NEW FOSSILS MAKE YOU/OR THOSE AROUND YOU DOUBT THE CREATION VERSION OF THINGS?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Not really, the wts had, if I remember right, a fairly slick answer for that in the creation book. I can't remember exactly what it was, and I don't have the book now, but being a loyal dub at the time, I just accepted it.

I saw many reasons to doubt the wts in my last couple of years in the org, but that wasn't really one of them.

• sir82
    sir82
    DID/DOES DISCOVERY OF NEW FOSSILS MAKE YOU/OR THOSE AROUND YOU DOUBT

No, it was pretty much the teaching of the old fossils (Franz, Schroeder, Klein, etc.) that did it.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

No. I just never believed they were as old as the scientists claimed they were.

Come to that I still take carbon dating with a pinch of salt, but thats probably because I cant understand it!

• daystar
    daystar

No, of course not! Carbon dating is grossly inaccurate! It must be!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I remember for a while my mom told us not to believe in Dinosaurs, that was till some elder said that it was ok.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Creationsits did a good thing when they came out of their caves to try to alter the way science is taught in schools.

It got scientists out of their ivory towers to explain their ideas.

Once the scientists realized the serious nature of the threat they brought out their best stuff and demolished the nonsense that was being circulated among the creationists I had figured out by 1978 that man evolved. I still thought that God used evolution to create. Now I am comfortable with the idea that there is no God at all. God is an incoherent idea.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I remember standing in a museum with my still a JW daughter several years ago, looking at the fossilized contents of a dinosaur's stomach. This was a carnivore, and you cold clearly see the bones,etc of the animals it had eaten.

I told her that, as a JW, you could not believe what you were looking at, as animals didn't start eating each other until just a few thousand years ago.

Yeah, fossils made an impact on me.

S4

• clovis
    clovis

No not at all. I believe in creation. NOT creationism with all those restictive time frames trying to make the Bible account work. I cannot accept that such a varied and incomprehensible universe exists by chance. Nor can anyone show us how matter can arise from nothing, I mean what started it all?

As far as fossils go I think they just prove stuff has been around a long time, longer than the JW's want to admit. Here in Florida a bison skull found in a river was 10-12,000 years old. No big deal until you see the stone spearhead broke off in its skull. A prehistoric american killing animals 12,000 years ago throws a serious monkey wrench into the 6,000 years of mankind on earth buisness.

www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/vertpaleo/aucilla12_1/bison99.htm - 2k

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

I used to hate it when evolution was mentioned on tv etc. Looking back I think it was because I never really bought into the whole creation account. So things just didn't sit right with me. Mind you, I would have been prepared to argue for creation as I did all the other doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit