Statistical effect of disassociating the inactive

by AuldSoul 59 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

It has been tossed around several times on the forum, and invariably someone pipes up that the WTS will never do it because of the adverse effects on the numbers. There is a glaring flaw in that reasoning.

The inactive are NEVER counted as publishers. The numbers that are reported are of active, reporting publishers.

If they disassociate every single person who is inactive and refuses to reactivate themselves, the numbers will not be negatively affected at all. Rather, it will likely have an initial positive impact on the numbers because many will reactivate just to avoid being cut off from family/friends.

I sense that preliminary steps are being taken now to bring this change forward. The WTS will be able to say, "Lovingly, we were moved by holy spirit to adopt a policy whereby elders specifically reached out to such ailing ones to offer assistance. But the time that has passed is sufficient, and those who have taken a stand separate from the spirit-directed organization must choose."

A six-month process, like the smoking ban, should be sufficient to satisfy even the most compassionate JW. Then the axe will fall.

So I ask, why not? What is the downside for them in this course? I don't see one, and I see every indication of something similar in the offing.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Never mind that, how about deactivating the disassocaited? I am sure there must be a switch poised somewhere in Brooklyn.

Respectfooly,

Slim

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Slim,

If something along these lines comes to pass, what would you do? Condone it tacitly, or stand up against it? Is there anything, any issue that could rouse you to an activist stance in opposition to the WTS? I am very curious about that, where you are concerned.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think you are right on this one AS. There was an attempt to reactivate inactive ones by some of the local elders in this area last year. They visited my boyfriend, who had then been inactive for over 5 years. He gave them short shrift, and they threatened further action, but he da'd just after that anyway.

The threat of disassociation wouldn't work on everyone, some would just tell them to get on with it, but I imagine it would pull a few back, and that would give their figures a boost, as long as lot's more didn't leave in the meantime.

• vitty
    vitty

Actually, my congregation dont know where I live. So I dont know what they would do about me. Maybe they wont even ask you to go back after being inactive for a year with no meeting attendance that would be enough.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Unfortunately I agree with you Auld Soul.

I believe they have been setting the stage for this over the past couple years.

The only downside I see, as you already mentioned, is the compassion and love some of the friends have for those who are weak.

They will go along with it, I don't believe this would cause a mass exodus or anything. In fact I agree with your comment that initially their numbers will improve.

Over the long haul though this could bite them.

We've always said that the WTS would probably prefer a small hard core following than a large freethinking following. This would be a major step in that direction.

But, they would risk having their hard core members be even more disconnected from society and thus more unable to properly preach and bring in new ones.

• Gill
    Gill

Interesting! I wondered what that phone call was about from Sister Elderette that I had earlier today. She has shunned me in the street for years!

She asked me a few leading questions which I skillfully avoided. Then she started laughing to herself 'Oh, you are a clever one, aren't you!' Idiot woman!

After that I had a' convenient' visitor at the door......not.

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Your reasoning and logic in this matter
    makes a lot of sense AuldSoul. Although,
    I am not sure where exactly this idea
    came from, but it would not suprise
    me if this took place.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

"We don't want to stumble anyone but holy spirit has forced us to reconsider your position in the congregation."

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

The WTS will be able to say, "Lovingly, we were moved by holy spirit to adopt a policy whereby elders specifically reached out to such ailing ones to offer assistance. But the time that has passed is sufficient, and those who have taken a stand separate from the spirit-directed organization must choose."

Dear AuldSoul,

I agree with you. Then they can say, "See there is no more setting on the fence."

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Mary
    Mary
    If they disassociate every single person who is inactive and refuses to reactivate themselves, the numbers will not be negatively affected at all. Rather, it will likely have an initial positive impact on the numbers because many will reactivate just to avoid being cut off from family/friends.

Or, it could have the opposite effect. For example, my parents are still in. They're getting up their with age and will most likely die as Witnesses. I'm inactive as are most of my siblings. We don't tell our parents what we know about this religion as it might be enough to finish them off and we don't want that. They do not treat me any differently than how they treat my oldest sister who is still a Witness. If the Society tries to enforce Witnesses to shun inactive ones, including family members, that could be enough for many in the Organization to see that this is not a religion of love and if they're pushed into a corner, they could say "up yours Brooklyn" and leave as well. I know that if the elders ever told my parents they couldn't/shouldn't talk to me anymore on pain of getting DF'd, my parents would tell them to go to hell. I have a feeling that if many who go to the Hall (because it's something they've done for so long), were backed into a corner, it might be enough for them to leave the religion altogether.

I can tell you right now, that if they do try and enforce shunning of inactive ones, I will go from being a passive ex-Witness to a very aggressive ex-Witness and will make sure that the media and everyone in the area I live, know what the Witnesses are doing. And that won't be a one-time deal. I'll plaster my area with my own tracts, exposing their hypocrisy, their false doctrines, their policies on child molestation and a host of other embarassing facts they prefer to keep hidden from the public. And something tells me, I won't be the only one with that reaction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit