Statistical effect of disassociating the inactive

by AuldSoul 59 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

*** w93 7/15 p. 27 Tenderly Shepherding Jehovah?s Precious Sheep ***

Inactivity in the ministry or in attending Christian meetings does not mean that the sheep is no longer part of the flock. He remains part of "all the flock" for whom the elders must "render an account" to Jehovah.

*** w04 5/1 p. 21 par. 13 Strengthen One Another ***

We may not see inactive ones at congregation meetings. Yet, they likely still have a love of God in their heart.
  • AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

The identifying marks of Jehovah's Witnesses, the criteria by which JWs are known, prominently include preaching. While currently the elders are accountable for those who become inactive, that doesn't men such ones are technically JWs any more than unbaptized publishers are technically JWs.

Someone isn't a JW just because they announce themselves as such, it isn't entirely voluntary, there are requirements. And when it comes to disassociation, the Society can set any religious standard they want to that qualifies or disqualifies a person as an associate of their closed societal order. This is the part that is already on the books. There is no question whether it is legal, it is.

They could legally say that according to Bible men should have short hair, and that means hair that is no longer than 3/8 of one inch long, and anyone who doesn't comply is not volunteering to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. They have done similarly where the use of blood is concerned. Everyone who is "one of Jehovah's Witnesses" is one at the pleasure of the organization, who can revoke someone's right to associate at any time so long as the means through which they do so is part of their published policy.

With a flick of the pen it could be enacted, and I am not aware of any way in which their charitable status would be at risk in this country for doing so. But as blondie and others have noted, a warmup would be required to prevent outright revolt. Of course, I believe the extreme emphasis recently placed on elders getting inactive ones reactivated may actually be part of a warmup.

They are publicly splashing the efforts the elders are undertaking throughout the publications. While the never shy away from patting themselves on the back, they have drawn attention to the fact that a number of publishers have deactivated and are being helped by extraordinary efforts on ethe part of elders. It isn't really true that the elders are going to extraordinary lengths, to the contrary they frequently seem more minded toward catching an inactive one in word traps.

So the question I asked that led me to this as a real possibility was: "What purpose is served by publicly highlighting the fact of a lot of irregular and inactive ones, if not to raise awareness of their fringe status?" And indeed, that is the overall tone of the artices discussing such ones. Their "recovery" is deemed best left to the elders or those the elders have specifically assigned.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS has "let's get the inactive going" campaigns in the past.

With the dropoff in 1979, 1982, etc., the WTS got busy with a revive the inactive campaign. Notice the increase in articles in the KM during that period. (1979--13 references)(1982--48 references)(1983-14)(1987-14)(2000-15)(2001-17)(2002-18)

km6/79p.1par.5DoNotGiveUpinDoingWhatIsFine***

During the 1978 service year there were 37,487 who laid down the implements, so to speak, in the United States. They became inactive so far as the spiritual building work is concerned and stopped going in field service. Additionally, 27.3 percent or 164,240 of the total publishers were irregular in service.

Can we help our inactive and irregular brothers and sisters today to "have a heart for working" in a similar way? Certainly! Elders, ministerial servants and, yes, "the rest of the people," all of us, can help them to keep in mind this same great and fear-inspiring One. Sometimes all it takes is a word of encouragement, letting them know we love them and miss them. Giving encouragement is everyone’s job. The account says Nehemiah "immediately rose" and did this. Will you do the same? It may save the life of your brother or sister by helping that individual not to give up in doing what is fine.

km6/79p.2MeetingstoHelpUsMakeDisciples***

Today as in first century some do not continue sharing in Christian works. They become irregular in service and meeting attendance, or even inactive. Some elders and their families affected. No one is immune. With genuine concern, cite statistics of irregularity and inactivity of local congregation. Reporting may be a problem with some. However, others need loving assistance to actively obey truth.

km7/79p.1par.2WeNeedtoHelpOneAnother!***

In addition, some who have been active in the preaching work in past years have become irregular or inactive in the service.

What is needed? We need to HELP ONE ANOTHER! True, we have been giving some assistance. But doubtless you will agree, more definite arrangements can be made not only to provide the type of help needed but also to make sure this is given long enough to really benefit those who need it. Such assistance is so vital that we should not leave it to chance.

In coming months the theme "We Need to Help One Another!" will be stressed on the meetings in various ways. Three particular ways of giving help will be highlighted: (1) By more definite arrangements in the book study groups for experienced publishers to help those who want and need assistance in the disciple-making work. (2) By setting aside the first Sunday of each month for a special effort in the house-to-house work, with encouragement for all in the congregation to participate. (3) By strengthening the shepherding work and improving the quality of teaching in order to build faith and spirituality. Combined with this will be many opportunities for all publishers, brothers and sisters alike, to give encouragement and assistance. All of this is designed to HELP ONE ANOTHER!

km9/79p.1par.4HelpOneAnothertoServeRegularly***

There is need, too, for us to helponeanother to be regular in the service, for reports show that last year some 37,000 in the U.S., or about five per congregation on the average, allowed their field service to become first irregular and finally inactive.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I agree with those who are saying this is not something y'all have to worry about.

On a case by case basis, yes, some elders may be out to get you and will show up at your door before long (or on the phone). Jeff's an example of that. But action on a mass scale? They can't handle all the problems they have now and certainly don't need a project of this immense scale to bog them down further. They are misguided and maybe even devious. But they're not stupid.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Blondie..It has been my experience..If you went to all the meetings but did not turn in time,you would simply be encouraged to go out in the service..I saw many adults do nothing year after year..I had my ass kicked out into the field service every weekend,like it or not...OUTLAW

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    blondie: Actually, the WTS has "let's get the inactive going" campaigns in the past.
    (1979--13 references)(1982--48 references)(1983-14)(1987-14)(2000-15)(2001-17)(2002-18)

I see that in three consecutive years there was a large push on this issue. In 2004 there was a Watchtower article that balanced the determination of whether it was inactivity on whether it was weakness. As any elder can attest, determining weakness is a prerequisite for avoiding Judicial action of a "cutting off" nature. Then in 2005, we find this in an article:

Watchtower December 15 2005, p. 27 par. 12 Now Is the Time for Decisive Action
    12 Sadly, some baptized Christians have become irregular or inactive in their worship. (Hebrews 10:23-25; 13:15, 16) Some have lost their zeal because of fear of persecution, the anxieties of making a living, efforts to get rich, or the pursuit of selfish pleasures. Jesus warned that these very things would stumble, choke, and ensnare some of his followers. (Matthew 10:28-33; 13:20-22; Luke 12:22-31; 21:34-36) Instead of 'limping on two opinions,' as it were, such ones should "be zealous and repent" by taking decisive action to carry out their dedication to God.—Revelation 3:15-19.

Jesus' warning they referenced had to do with heart conditions, receptiveness to to the Kingdom seed. NOT Field Ministry. But it was applied to the field ministry. In the illustration those stumbled, choked, or ensnared did not receive the Kingdom.

Then inactive ones are said to be limping on two opinions and that they should repent. Repent from what wrongdoing? What if they are unrepentant? Carrying out their dedication to God is in the balance of the scales, and one who chooses not to carry out their dedication to God is called ... what, exactly? Lukewarm Christians. If they do not become either hot or cold, Jesus will vomit them out of his mouth. Why should they be kept in the congregation if even Jesus vomits them out?

I understand your point, blondie. But in times past (back to the 60s) the "reactivation efforts" were not accompanied by this type of wording. And the emphasis has not been on the inactive ones, but on those helping them recover. Try as I might, I am not finding such harsh references to how inactive ones should be viewed since the 50s. This seems like a significant change to me. And a very recent one, at that.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• TD
    TD

Hi AuldSoul,

Someone isn't a JW just because they announce themselves as such, it isn't entirely voluntary, there are requirements. And when it comes to disassociation, the Society can set any religious standard they want to that qualifies or disqualifies a person as an associate of their closed societal order. This is the part that is already on the books. There is no question whether it is legal, it is.

Not deliberately trying to be argumentative; (Because again, I'm no attorney) this is just an interesting subject.

I don't believe that, "Any religious standard" should be construed as an absolute. Religious belief is one thing. Religious conduct is another.

I think this distinction can be seen using The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as an example. This church believes that tithing is a religious requirement. One is not considered in good standing with the church if they are in arrears with this obligation. For Mormons, the situation is remarkably similary to inactivity in the JW faith in terms of how one will be treated by their peers.

However the LDS church has the legal sense to exercise caution when it comes to translating this belief into conduct. They do not excommunicate, disassociate, or in any other way, drop such a one from their membership for noncompliance because even though tithing is a requirement from a religious perspective, legally it is still a "Donation." And a donation must be wholly voluntary, else it is not a gift and therefore not charitable. When money is required, especially when it is required in exchange for something, it is no longer a donation, but a fee, premium, levy, due, or assesment depending on the circumstances. With the LDS church, this would elevate the tithe to a membership fee of sorts.

Individual Mormons would immediately lose the section 170 deduction on their income taxes (As the Church of Scientology found out in 1989 over a similar issue.) and the church itself would come under increased scrutiny insofar as how these monies were used. (Like the JW organization, the LDS church is in the habit of using "donated" money for activities that are not clearly and directly charitable or religious in nature. (i.e. As working capital for church-owned real estate ventures, investment companies, etc.))

Of course with the JW's, disassociating the inactive would be a question of "Compulsory volunteerism", not "Involuntary donation" which is a different issue. (Both are similar oxymorons though -- LOL) So this example relates to your thread here only insofar as to question the notion that churches have unfettered freedom to impose requirements upon adherents without consequence.

I'm curious if the idea that there are no potential consequences can simply be assumed. I know that one current area of considerable interest for the JW's is the degree to which parent organizations are responsible for civil liability incurred by their volunteers, (i.e. A car accident while out in service) Another, I think might involve children, especially baptized children. In both child custody cases and alleged violations of child labor laws, the JW organization has taken the position that members are only "encouraged" to engage in service.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Another, I think might involve children, especially baptized children. In both child custody cases and alleged violations of child labor laws, the JW organization has taken the position that members are only "encouraged" to engage in service.

They are only "encouraged" to get baptized, as well. And "encouraged" to attend meetings, etc. They are also "encouraged" not to smoke. But if a baptized minor unrepentantly chose to smoke they would be disfellowshipped, repentance being enforced as compulsory. They are "encouraged" to give exclusive devotion to Jehovah, but it is enforced as compulsory, just ask any baptized JW youth who signed up for ROTC, or who sang the national anthem, or who pledged allegiance to the flag.

I didn't think you were getting argumentative. Discussions can be inense without being antagonistic. Should this change come to pass it would have some severe impacts for many posters here. I expected some tension when discussing it.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• TD
    TD
    They are only "encouraged" to get baptized, as well. And "encouraged" to attend meetings, etc. They are also "encouraged" not to smoke. But if a baptized minor unrepentantly chose to smoke they would be disfellowshipped, repentance being enforced as compulsory. They are "encouraged" to give exclusive devotion to Jehovah, but it is enforced as compulsory, just ask any baptized JW youth who signed up for ROTC, or who sang the national anthem, or who pledged allegiance to the flag.

True AuldSoul, but I don't think these examples force the JW's to tiptoe around the law in quite the same way.

JW's have been hauled into court more than once and charged with violations of child labor laws by requiring children to participate in public distribution of church literature.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, I don't see the harsher words nor have I seen harsher treatment although we are inactive. I still believe that the WTS sees that they have more to lose by treating inactive JWs (not turning in time slips) as if they have da'd rather than ignoring them unless they are publicly speaking against WTS doctrine or acting against WTS doctrine. I agree too that elders will not appreciate the extra time demands (from my ex-elder hubbie). They complain now about spending too much time on judicial matters. Time will tell.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit