Picture of Malcolm Rutherford

by cabasilas 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wow, this is excellent! Now if we could only get a photo of Berta Teel. I tried to clean up the Malcolm photo:

For more info on Mary Rutherford and Malcolm, you may also refer to the thread VM44 started a few years back on the subject:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/76946/1.ashx

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The best means of digitizing fragile old books is with a planetary scanner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_scanner

I have used a photocopy machine with some old Golden Ages, and they are only slightly better than flatbed scanners. If the paper is fragile enough, only opening the pages flat is enough to separate or fragment them.

For really fragile stuff, I use a digital camera. With 8 megapixels and a flash to reduce blur, it should be enough to reproduce each page without damaging them. However, you are usually left with some distortion, so some of my digitized Golden Ages show bends and unevenness on the page.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I was about to suggest the same as Leo. I took digital photographs of some old photos my grandmother has and they came out very clear. You just need to be careful with the lighting, or have a slight angle to avoid the glare from the flash.

• VM44
    VM44

Malcolm would be 114 years old now if he were still living, and he is only about 18 or 19 in that picture.

This makes one realize just how long ago Russell, Rutherford and Malcolm lived. It was a different world then.

--VM44

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

cabasilas,

Did you win that recently on eBay? I bid on it but didn't win, obviously.

Is there any chance you could scan the whole thing and have someone put it on their website? The early convention reports are some of the few early sources from the Bible Students that are not online yet.

Slim

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day cabasilas,

An excellent post - thx very much. Absorbing stuff and like others have said, it proves the lie to the present-day WTS version of its own history.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

One more suggestion

Whether you are takeing pictures or scanning, if you find the print on the other side comes through use a dark paper or cardboard or even a dark piece of cloth on the opposite side of waht you are copying to prevent the bleed-through.

I keep a piece of cardboard on my scanner at all trimes. It really works

• moshe
    moshe

Looking at these old pictures makes one realize just how long the Watchtower Society has been telling people the good news of their Kingdom, that the end is just around the corner. It amazes me that more old JW's don't step forward and admit their 50-60 even 70+ years of preaching work has been a failure. The human mind has a great capacity to forget unpleasant history. They were placing 3000+ books a year back then and today's pioneers are probably lucky to place (give away) 100 books a year.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Slimboy,

I am hoping to get the 1911 Report online someday. And a few other things as well. I do have the January 1919 Convention Report online already at:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/members/popestleo/Jan1919IBSAConvention-Full.pdf

I appreciate all the suggestions on scanning. I'm a novice at this but it's fun learning how to do this.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My dad's 85 and was baptized in 1935 and everything he's taught as a Witness has either been changed, or failed. One time I asked him: "What's it feel like to know everything the Witnesses taught was wrong?". He said: "It's still the best way to live, I couldn't of had a better life.".

That pissed me off. You mean I went through all that as a Witness kid so he could have a better life? He told me this was the "truth". I was sent to bed hungry every night so he'd have money for gas for the car to go to meetings 5 days a week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit