My first video is finally online - Great Blue Heron

by Lady Lee 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I posted about this a few days ago but coulden't figure out how to get the video online. Part way through a young boy joined me warching the bird so you'll hear me ask him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ocP9s0bHk

The video is a little blurry and I'm not sure why. It is a lot clearer on my computer so it may be some compression they added from the site.

I took this along the bike paths and it is fairly close to where I live and the Parliament buildings (government buildings) in downtown Ottawa

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

These Herons are so fascinating to watch! We see them a lot here. Where we used to camp in Theresa NY, there was a stump that rose up from the water just a few feet from our spot. One of these perched there 75% of the day....I shot more film on him one year! He was pretty tame too.....used to let me almost wade right up to him real slow.....but just about six feet away....he's get antsy and fly off. What a noise THAT made---whomp! whomp! whomp!....just over my head!

Great video! Thanks for sharing, Lee.

hugs,

Annie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I've seen them before around here and tried to sneak up close enough to get a picture. This time I was trying to get a picture of the bridge and saw the bird only because he started moving. Just pure luck for all the pieces to fall together at the same time

In Montreal we had one who would stand on a rock in the water and watch while the kids fed bread to the fish. Well one day he dove in and grabbed one of the fish and gobbled it down. The kids were quite upset he ate one of "their" fish

They are beautiful though so graceful.

I tried ringing the bell on the chair and waving my arms around to get him to fly. I would have loved to grab that video bue I guess he figured he was safe enough on the other bank and wouldn't take off

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I enjoyed watching that Lady Lee, thanks for sharing it.

What a beautiful creature the Heron is.

• hubert
    hubert

Whew! Lady Lee,

When I first read this post, I thought you said "Huron", and thought it was an indian uprising !!!!

I grabbed my musket, and was loading a shot into it, and realized I made a mistake.

Seriously, Herons are a fun bird to get pictures of. I can't get that close to them around here. The wife and I see them often, when we canoe the rivers in our area. But, they don't stick around....Not as friendly as Canadian Herons.

Great video, Lady Lee. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hubert

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    I thought you said "Huron", and thought it was an indian uprising !!!!

Now don't you go shooting any of my relatives

I haven't seen many in my life - 1 in Montreal maybe a couple in Winnipeg and 4 times here in Ottawa although that could be the same one. Personally I think he didn't have enough room to take off becaue his way up and out would have meant him coming closer to me

I just think it is so cool that this winds up being my first video

• hubert
    hubert

You had him trapped, Lady Lee. I see the fence in the background.

By the way, I love Indians, so no need to worry.

Hubert

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Lady Lee, are you sure it's a Great Blue Heron? It only looks like a Fairly Good Blue Heron to me...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Steph considering how large he was I think GREAT is just right

• z
    z

Lady Lee

I had lots of problem with them one summer morning I looked out to see my Koi and there this majestic Blue Heron standing next to the water and in about 30sc he eat two koi (each one is about $2000) and two days later there he was again but I scared the s***t out of him this time no breakfast I called around asking WTF can I do should I get a gun? The answer was 2yr in jail
    The best way was VERY BIG UNBRELA next to the pound so far no visit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit