How accountable is the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by The wanderer 16 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Should the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses be held accountable?

Understandably, this question is going to create some controversy. However, think for one moment? Is it possible that even the governing body is mislead to believe that it is doing the right thing according to God's will? If so, how accountable should they be held?

The flip side of the coin

For those of you who have read the exceptional account of Raymond Franz' Crisis of Conscience there is no doubt you may have a different perspective regarding the matter. However, take both sides into consideration before responding to the questions.

The ball is now in your court to respond, please consider both sides of the issue.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

On some level I do thinks they buy some of thier own BS but there is also little doubt they have outright lied to cover thier butts on certain issues Blood being one and so they have allowed people to die based on something (I believe) they know to be in error for that they should be very accoutable not to mention the UN or the Sexual Abuse cover up.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They make the rules for the rest of the jws, and expect them to be obeyed without question, even if some of them don't agree with them. It's known that they vote on some issues, which to me makes their claim of being instructed by jehovah a farce anyway - he isn't going to tell them differrent things.

They are responsible for every major wts policy, and therefore accountable if policies like the one on child abuse is not implemented as written, and we are all well aware that this is often the case.

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Imo, the fact that as a governing panel requires them to 'vote' on issues to be changed, or decided upon - makes them 100% accountable for their policies. If, indeed they had a pipeline to God Almighty - why would they need to vote....why would their God need a 2/3rds majority?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do they put their trust in Jesus?

Do they preach the same Jesus that the early church preached?

Do they lead people to Jesus or to themselves?

Then, it is pretty obvious that they are not blameless.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    For those of you who have read the exceptional account of Raymond Franz' Crisis of Conscience there is no doubt you may have a different perspective regarding the matter.

We can't help but answer from Ray Franz's book. It's clear that many members know that some teachings are wrong, but don't want to bring them up for a 2/3rds vote, because

A) they will lose the vote

B) Other GB members will know their viewpoint, possibly regard them as lacking faith

C) Rank and File are not going to take the new light well, many would leave the org.

If all of these brothers were sure this is "God's Will" then JW who did not read apostate literature would know how things work.

I imagine some are convinced that this is Jehovah's way of doing things. I'll guess "two."

• Arthur
    Arthur

I think that they are accountable for the way they have tied heavy burdens upon the Witnesses just as the Pharisees did in Jesus' day. They have certainly made themselves into "idols" where people are expected to put their full trust in them. Witnesses themselves bear some accountability for puting more esteem and trust into these men than they do Jesus Christ.

However, there is a huge concept that everyone has bought into and is held captive by. It is talked about it the book: Captives of a Concept by Don Cameron.

In a previous thread, I wrote about how even the GB is captive to this concept. Read my post at:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/120843/2135274/post.ashx#2135274

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

If I had to sum up in one word an attitude that permeates the whole
    organization - from top to bottom, it would be: UNACCOUNTABLE.

This quality runs through the whole thing like threads through a fabric. Everybody associated will encounter it at some time.

LHG

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I think that they are accountable for the way they have tied heavy burdens upon the Witnesses just as the Pharisees did in Jesus' day.

Good point. They say the Bible is the guide. The guide says that Jesus held Pharisees accountable for their actions. The GB is accountable for the heavy burdens they have put upon people.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I totally agree that the GB in particular will render an accounting. There's a scripture that says something to the effect that to much is given, much is expected. I really don't think Jesus gave them anything, however, in taking the role as Jehovah's spokesman, they have put themselves in line for a pretty harsh judgement. I know I'll have to answer for what I do, but I don't think I'd trade places with those guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit