So Whats Your Choice Of News Info?

by Englishman 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Like some of the others, Fox news, especially O'Reilly. I also check Newsmax.com and WorldnetDaily.com quite often. In addition, I read one newspaper a day and listen to talk radio, especially Rush.

• Julie
    Julie

Hey E-man--

I catch CNN and MSNBC in the morning but I like to go to the Drudge report. Even though I think Matt Drudge can be a lunatic he has links to just about every news sit on the planet and I can get news from all over the world.

I saw that many like O'Reilly--I would like him better if he would let his guests speak a little more. I am more interested in what htey have to say than what he has to say, but I guess he thinks otherwise.

Can't stand the hate mongers like Rush Limbaugh who is forever doling out twisted "facts" and serious misinformation. Americans lap it up though. Go figure!

Julie

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm nakednews.com For the life of me I couldn't tell you what their political bias might be. I can't even remember a word they say.

Hmmm

• more2C
    more2C

I prefer television over the "written word." (I do read the free local community paper.) I like to switch around national news channels. I find Peter Jennings very upbeat over Dan Rather. Because I have a satelite, I listen to the international news, (they show things that never make it in the U.S.) especially the German channel Deutsche Welle, and the Swiss-French news on TV5.

more2C

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

I turn off our cable service for about six months during spring and summer. I'm out of the habit of watching television myself, and I see a definite difference when my son is exposed to all of the commercials on the cartoon channels.

Our cable is still off for the summer. I've relied heavily on National Public Radio's "All Things Considered" and reading the New York Times online.

Ginny

• dins
    dins

Englishman,

I prefer the BBC (old habits die hard!) and I also used to watch Sky quite a bit, but now that I am back stateside, I have to agree with O'connor..the O'Reilly factor is probably the best. He's a little more opinionated than Larry King.

Newspapers...look at the Daily Mail almost daily online, and sometimes I yearn for the old News of the World on Sundays.

Cheers..

Diana

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO
    Take the daily news. If you watch TV, which news programme do you spend most time viewing and why? The same question as to which daily newspaper you read, plus, does your newspaper have a political bias that attracts you? Does your favourite newspaper or TV news programme have a website that you can paste so that we can sample your choice of material?

The internet is the best source.
    CNN was quite biased during the Kosovo crisis. I take what they report with a grain of salt. But will always keep up with both sides.
    Thats the key. Read both sides.
    www.stratfor.com
    www.zmag.org
    the christian science monitor
    you name it...i'll listen and read.
    hell...the NATO homepage.
    Don't ever truly trust any one source full stop. But some i rate better than others. Mainstream media took a huge hit for me during 99, during kosovo. So much went unreported...and so much still does. There is lack of real balance at times with commerical networks. For example with people who protest the WTO...for all the news that goes on about the rioting I haven't seen a Commerical network seriously try and represent their views...just pay it lip service and move on. I prefer Public networks to Commercial.

• Seeker
    Seeker

Fox news is an absolute disgrace, for they don't just report the news, they often tell you how to think about it by the way the newscopy is written. They use slanted words designed to propagandized. Note, this is NOT a conservative versus liberal thing I'm talking about. I've noticed it in news stories that would be agreed upon by both conservatives and liberals, such as, say, when talking about Saddam Hussein. Murdoch has a viewpoint, and he makes sure all his properties carry that viewpoint. That is an absolute disgraceful thing for any news organization to give in to.

I can't speak for O'Reilly specifically, as I've only seen him a few times, and he does less news stories and more opinions on the news, and there is more room for that kind of stuff then. For all I know, he's fine, but I can't comment on it myself. But the organization he works for is the worst news organization I've seen outside of the London tabloids or the New York Post (saaay, doesn't Murdoch also own the Post...)

I use a myriad of news sources, way too many to mention. I prefer news feeds from AP and Reuters and AFP and BBC, newspapers of record such as the Times (with all it's flaws nowadays), African news sites, Asian news sites, tech news sites, etc. etc. etc.

Always check different versions of an important story. See what the conservative press says, see what the liberal press says, see what the paranoid press says, see what the loony press says -- then make your own judgments.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

ABC for the emotional news & CNN for the drier factual take.

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People - bumpersticker

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I see that Seeker is one of those poor benighted individuals so taken in by the barrage of leftist cant from the main stream media that he can't recognize true balance in a fine organization like Fox News. I don't have the stomach to watch any of that liberal guff any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit