Suggestions when you are sick

by jayhawk1 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

What's a guy to do when he is sick? I have a head cold with coughing, runny, itchy nose and all around crappy feeling. I need to stay entertained. Give me suggestions.

• Scully
    Scully

When you are sick you need about double the amount of fluids that you normally should be taking in. Since the average person should be drinking at least 8 - 10 (8 oz) glasses of water daily, you should aim for 16 - 20 (8 oz) glasses of water. This helps loosen up the congestion and help your body flush out the germs. You can substitute some of the fluid for tea, decaffeinated coffee, jello, clear juice (like apple or cranberry juice) or broth. If you can make a pot of chicken soup (homemade preferred over canned) you can't beat it for its ability to make you feel better. Try to avoid dairy products.

For entertainment, I highly recommend the Cartoon Network. Go for a walk in the fresh autumn air too. Get extra sleep if you can.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I have my mother-in-law on her way over to pick up the daughter. That way I can get some sleep. Water and other fluids are good, but it is so hard to convince myself to drink anything. I'll try harder.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think the best way is to lie in bed and rest rather than be active and exert effort. That's what I do when I have a cold it calls for rest. Then the body can spend all its energy to fight the invading viruses and heal.

• daystar
    daystar

When I'm sick, I usually veg out in front of the TV, play one of my favorite old PC games, catch up on some reading...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Chicken soup,Playstation2,movies from the video store,Neo-citrian(lemon flavour)..And last but not least,have the Mrs. give you a lap dance..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

OUTLAW, your suggestion about the lap dance goes contrary to Greendawn's suggestion of not being too active. Maybe I should try your Chalk Juice recipe. I don't have a playstation, the best I have is an old Sega Genesis. Maybe I'll plug that in for a bit later on.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Scully's suggestions are bang on except for the cartoons. Stick to "guy" movies - shoot-em-up westerns, war movies, action flicks - you know, plenty of blood and guts.

W

• parakeet
    parakeet

For some odd reason that I don't wish to explore, I like watching "Mister Rogers" on PBS when I'm sick. His voice is so soothing and comforting; it calms me down and helps me rest.

My other remedy is a hot toddy. If it doesn't mess with your medications, try this: To a very hot and strong cup of tea, add some honey, lemon juice, a cinnamon stick, and a good jolt of Scotch. Sip slowly and lie down afterward.

Feel better soon, jayhawk.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

When I was a kid, I loved trains. Still do, but don't have a good place to build a nice train set. I would loved to have his trolley.

I am trying to drink more water right now. Ugh, I don't feel thirsty enough to drink so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit