Does anyone miss the food?

by megsmomma 15 Replies latest jw friends

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I am talking about when there would be a get together and everyone would bring lots of food?!? I guess being a glutton is not as bad as being a drinker, or fornicator...ect! I remember going to a get together after leaving the cult....and I brought a HUGE vat of homemade potatoe- salad....and that was about all there was to eat! LOL! When I was pregnant I kept wishing I could find a park with JW's having a pic-nic get together and crash it for the goodies!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We used to have a few get - togethers like that in the gym of a local school, with a couple of other congregations in the area. I used to enjoy them, but I don't really miss them that much. I'd rather have the free life I have nowadays.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

You need to find some new worldly friends... or wait..better yet...go to an apostafest..them x-jw's throw the best parties...and there is so much food left over they are looking for someone to take home the leftovers. At least that's been my experience.

Welcome to the board.

lisa

• daystar
    daystar

I do often enough miss the get-togethers we had when I was a kid. We had a large backyard, so we'd have them at our place often enough.

We'd put up the badminton set and my dad would bring out the ice cream maker. We'd always have tons of food and nearly the entire congregation would be there.

One time we had games at the park down the street... three-legged races, sack races, etc. It was always a lot of fun.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

We are near Denton......we don't have family living near here. My hubby's family is in NC, and we are possibly moving there next year...It would be nice to have sitters!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The food was the only good thing about the get-togethers. Not being part of any clique all I could do was sit around, eat, and watch everyone else socialize. I'm not one to force myself on people, so I eventually stopped going to congregation functions altogether.

Since I left the cult and am living alone I learned how to cook. I prefer my own cooking to anyone else's now, and don't miss their food anymore.

I have to admit to having a weakness for potato salad, and love trying different versions of it. Next time you have a HUGE vat of potato salad, bring it here. I'll make the ribs.

W

• 5go
    5go

Yes and no, I'm still in and I have noticed that there are as many get togethers anymore.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I don't remember any get-to-gethers. We sometimes would visit a family when we gave talks out of town and eat dinner. The young folks would go out together to a movie or something, usually cousins, after the Sunday meetings which were over at 5:00PM back then.

Ken P.

• juni
    juni

I came in in th '70s when we had congregation picnics, etc. Food was good. But there was always elders looking out for trouble. Made me feel like I was a prisoner out on good behavior. Like a warden watching over me and my kids.

Then they did away w/all of that and then it became individual families getting together. Of course you were reminded that you would be responsible for what went on. Blah blah blah.

I'd suggest for you to watch for community get togethers where you can share your potato salad recipe and have a great time w/all of those "awful" worldly people!! Or neighborhood parties. You'll make new friends.

Juni

• greendawn
    greendawn

There were some picnics to the countryside but that is a very poor reason to want to be with the JWs. Their spiritual food was no good, it was toxic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit