What shocked you first, into realizing the world was not like the JW's?

by free2beme 20 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

I had a similar experience only it was when I was becoming a JW. One of the sisters who was calling on me had 3 daughters. We became good friends. One time I went over to their house to see them. Their parents weren't home at the time. We were sitting around talking when one of them brings out a gram of hash. We sat on the kitchen floor and smoked some of it, and I was trying so hard to become a good j-dub at the time. I guess my experience has been that you have to watch who you associate with whether your a JW or not if you don't want trouble in your life.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Want to make clear, that my comment that "Meth makes me mad", does not mean I get mad when I use it. I never have, never will, and wont have anything to do with people who do. I get mad that people do it, as I have mentioned before. Meth is something I am very against, hate and would do anything to fight. I think it is the worse thing happening to society today, and you would be shocked who is taken it. I know on many occasions, I have been completely caught off guard.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I went to a nightclub with a couple of friends from work when I first left. I was shocked at the number of people who talked about taking ecstasy, and I was offerred some, which I declined. I used to be a smoker before I became a jw, and I rather foolishly started having the occasional cigarette when I left, which has now become a regular habit again, but I would never use drugs of any kind, and have kept away from places where they are on offer since that night.

• daystar
    daystar

I think I understand what you're saying. I just never experience that sort of shock. I was raised in and I always knew the "world" was not like the JWs.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I knew the world was like that so it never surprised me, I wasn't born a JW. In the world there are all sorts of people but one can choose who to associate with. They also offered me grass a few times but I never accepted it.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I had a friend introduce me to their lesbian lover. I was like, "wow, this is not something you see in the Kingdom Hall." What else you never see, she did this and is still a good friend!

• mama1119
    mama1119

Oh, I think that is a bad house by most peoples standards, not just JW.

I would also like to add, I do not know too many witnesses, at least in this area, that had really clean houses. I know some, but I have been to alot of JW houses that were pure filth. I mean disgusting. I know they always say how clean JW are, but I think it is few and far between that keep there houses really nice and clean.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Here some people drink "meth". Methylated Spirits.

Can get "blind" drunk on it - literally.

Pope

• free2beme
    free2beme

One thing you learn, once exited for awhile. People in the world can put on as much of a front, when it comes to what you think they are, vrs what they really are. As Witnesses do. The people we met who did meth, claimed to be all Christian and such and then wham, here was their reality.

• aniron
    aniron

. Yes there are some like those described above, but I discovered that most people in the "world" were normal, sensible, loving, kind. They are not all living depraved lives like the WT seems to like to instil in the thinking of JW's. I got more help and support from them than I did from my so-called "brothers and sister in the truth" .

Also that 99.9% of people couldn't give a damn about the JW's. For all the preaching of the JW's most people haven't the faintest idea what they believe. I remember one guy saying he thought they were "Just sellers of religious books and magazines" he had no idea they were a "religion"! I've met people in my town who have NEVER been called on by JW's.

What would shock a JW is if they found out how much the world considers them insignifcant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit