What shocked you first, into realizing the world was not like the JW's?

by free2beme 20 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I left the Witnesses in 1997. I was trying to make new friends and met some people through the gym. My spouse and I went to their house for some dinner, and we thought it would be a great time. Also, we wanted to get to know people that were not Witnesses and get a foot-hold into our new life. Well, we got there and there house was not the cleanest. No big deal, we figured that not all people were into being as clean as some of the Witness houses we went too. So we ate dinner, and were drinking some beer and sitting around talking with a couple of people there. Suddenly someone brings out some pot, and offers us some. I thought about it, decided "no thanks", did that as a teen and not wanting to do that again. Then I get up to get another beer and this woman was getting her METH ready to shoot up in a spoon and looking all wasted. I set there watching her shot up, and thinking to myself "Your deffinetly not a Witness anymore." It was kind of a shock, and to be honest, to this day I am often still shocked at how screwed up some people are with drugs and sex. I guess the sheltered life I lived was not always bad. My spouse and I, never went back to their house and although we are not Witnesses, maintain a strict view on things like Meth. Pot does not bother me, Meth makes me mad.

Just wondered though, what was the first thing that happened to you, once you left, that had you get that thought in your head of "Your definitely not a Witness anymore!"

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

My account is similar to your's I just posted it today. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/120846/1.ashx Respectfully, The Wanderer

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I went to a apostafest in NJ and "gasp", these poztates were drink'in liquor and smoking and having a grand old time.... I need to go to a kingdom hall and sing some kingdom melodies to get that image out of my head! ;P

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Suddenly someone brings out some pot, and offers us some. I thought about it, decided "no thanks", did that as a teen and not wanting to do that again. Then I get up to get another beer and this woman was getting her METH ready to shoot up in a spoon and looking all wasted. I set there watching her shot up, and thinking to myself "Your deffinetly not a Witness anymore." It was kind of a shock, and to be honest, to this day I am often still shocked at how screwed up some people are with drugs and sex. I guess the sheltered life I lived was not always bad. My spouse and I, never went back to their house and although we are not Witnesses, maintain a strict view on things like Meth. Pot does not bother me, Meth makes me mad.

Sounds like a watchtower study experience that would otherwise lead you to a "remorseful repentance" and a promise to support the ministry full-time from now on.

Yeah, meth is insane. I would've left that house right away.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

Raves in Philly. Heroine, Coke...

• free2beme
    free2beme

No, it was not going to be something followed by, " ... and I went back." I expected some shocked in the real world, and even to this day, I am sometimes shocked at how much some people are screwed up with drugs.

• parakeet
    parakeet

When I was still a JW and going through the doubts, depression, and misery that was the dreary prelude to my final departure, not one JW (except my mother) offered any assistance, comfort, or encouragement. When I finally left and made some "worldly" friends, I was shocked at how genuinely friendly and caring they were.

My neighbors would stop by to say hello and offer help if I was sick. I had JW neighbors as well that stopped by only if they wanted something. It was shocking to me to see how much kinder the outside world was compared with what I experienced and heard from JWs.

• Asheron
    Asheron

thecarpenter wrote: I went to a apostafest in NJ and "gasp", these poztates were drink'in liquor and smoking and having a grand old time.... I need to go to a kingdom hall and sing some kingdom melodies to get that image out of my head! ;P Ummmm...that wouldnt have been recently was it???? And if it was, we did sing "From door to door, from house to house" while we drank. Asheron

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

I think I always knew that something wasn't right. Boy, was I right.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I get up to get another beer and this woman was getting her METH ready to shoot up in a spoon and looking all wasted.

Beer is one thing, pot is another thing, but meth is AN ENTIRELY OTHER THING. God damn, I would have made a hasty exit. I woudn't want to be around speed fiends, regardless of any JW standing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit