Oh oh! They've missed one (Rev Climax book changes)

by AnnOMaly 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    There is no mention of the generation change in the corrections. Does that mean the generation was never mentioned in the Revelation book?

Funny you should mention that, slimboyfat. I went and checked.

re chap. 3 p.17 Things That Must Shortly Take Place

It is urgent that we observe the words of the prophecy, "for the appointed time is near." The appointed time for what? For the fulfillment of the prophecies of Revelation, including God?s judgments. The time is near for God and Jesus Christ to execute final judgment on Satan?s world system. When Jesus was here on earth, he stated that only his Father knew "that day or the hour." Looking ahead to the troubles that have multiplied on earth from World War I onward, Jesus also said: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen." So the appointed time for executing God?s decision must be drawing perilously close. (Mark 13:8, 30-32)

This is on page 17.

The first correction to made is on p.19. Good catch!

No other out-dated application of 'generation' is in the book as far as I can see.

The 'vindication of Jehovah's name' is not in the 'Climax' book either, and the switch from 'vindication' to 'sanctification' of the Name seems to pre-date the book.

So we're up to TWO missed corrections.

• shera
    shera

*shakes head*

One of these days, I'm going to shake my head so hard at the WTS,its gonna shake off my shoulders...

• Honesty
    Honesty

Brothers, Brothers, Please.

Now we do well to remember that this is God's organization and sometimes He refines us as noted in the following Watchtower article:

w8112/1p.27par.2, 9, 19

The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter

However, it may have seemed to some as though that path has not always gone straight forward. At times explanations given by Jehovah?s visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case. This might be compared to what is known in navigational circles as "tacking." By maneuvering the sails the sailors can cause a ship to go from right to left, back and forth, but all the time making progress toward their destination in spite of contrary winds.

Such adjustments might be said to follow a principle that has been said to govern the progress of scientific truth. In brief, it works something like this: At first there is a proposition made that is subject to argumentation. It holds out great possibilities for enlightenment or practical application. But then in time it is seen to have certain flaws or weaknesses. So the tendency is to go to a proposition at the opposite extreme. Later it is found that that position does not represent the whole truth either, and so there is a combining of the valid points in both positions. Time and again this principle has applied in the way Proverbs 4:18 has been fulfilled.

Of course, such development of understanding, involving "tacking" as it were, has often served as a test of loyalty for those associated with the "faithful and discreet slave." However, progress is being made continually toward fuller appreciation of the "good news" and all that it means. It has been the experience of those who stay close to God?s organization that questions and things hard to understand are always cleared up with the passing of time.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    This preaching involves more than the spoken word! "Also, they have tails and stings like scorpions; and in their tails is their authority to hurt the men five months." (Revelation 9:10) What could this mean? As they go about their Kingdom work, Jehovah?s Witnesses leave behind them publications?books, magazines, brochures, timely tracts. These contain authoritative statements, based on God?s Word, for the people to read in their homes, and they have a scorpionlike sting because they warn of Jehovah?s approaching day of vengeance. (Isaiah 61:2) Before the present generation of spiritual locusts lives out its life span, its divinely ordained work of declaring Jehovah?s judgments will be completed?to the hurt of all stiff-necked blasphemers. (page 146)

Slim

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can barely believe that after decades of stubbornly refusing to accept the universally accepted meaning of the Greek word Naos as temple (not sanctuary which translates the word ieron) they finally came round to the idea. It now completely upsets their perception of the great crowd as a non priestly class on earth. They are in the naos/temple according to the vision.

• daystar
    daystar

Incredible...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It's understandable that, after telling so many lies, the watchtower finds it difficult to keep track of them. Maybe they should start paying us to proofread their writings.

W

• badboy
    badboy

HOW MUCH WOULD THEY PAY US?

• sir82
    sir82

A thought just crossed my mind.

There may well be other "adjustments" that didn't make it into the KM. Maybe dozens, maybe hundreds. But to include all such corrections would take far more space than just a 4-page KM insert.

What if they got all the corrections together, and had a meeting to decide on just the "most important" and/or "least embarrassing" ones to include, limiting it to the amount that would fit on 4 pages?

Imagine the effect on JWs if, instead of 4 pages of corrections, there were 8 or 12 or 20 pages of corrections to make.

I'm still befuddled as to why they never produced a completely new edition of the book. They'd have instant "sales" of 6 million+ copies.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    This preaching involves more than the spoken word! "Also, they have tails and stings like scorpions; and in their tails is their authority to hurt the men five months." ( Revelation 9:10 ) What could this mean? As they go about their Kingdom work, Jehovah?s Witnesses leave behind them publications?books, magazines, brochures, timely tracts. These contain authoritative statements, based on God?s Word, for the people to read in their homes, and they have a scorpionlike sting because they warn of Jehovah?s approaching day of vengeance. (Isaiah 61:2) Before the present generation of spiritual locusts lives out its life span, its divinely ordained work of declaring Jehovah?s judgments will be completed?to the hurt of all stiff-necked blasphemers. (page 146)

Ooh I missed that one, slim!

But they haven't changed that bit! They tinkered about with some of the wording before that to include the 'spoken word' in the 'scorpionlike sting.' Perhaps they left it as it is because 'present generation' is adequately elastic enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit