Is There Anything Positive About Being A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

Nikki, what did you sell?

I went into sales too because of fs training. I did get some critism for selling advertising matches to businesses. I now have customers for xmas cards, calendars (some have religous themes) etc.

They did help me overcome call reluctence, but I was afraid one of customers would answer the door in fs.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Great Public Speaking Training on the Theocratic School

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well now that i think about itNAHHHHHHHHH

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I wouldn't say it outweighs the negatives! But.. I feel I'm a very good conversationalist, I can talk to anyone anywhere about anything after years of pioneering! I've found some of my friends really struggle with people they are not 'on a level' with.

Also my kids are always getting complimented on their conversational abilities. Because they have no barriers about talking to adults.

As to the 100 dollars in a card, I wouldn't look for a bad motive, just be grateful! You would have to be a very altruistic person to give a gift and not want the person to know it was you who gave it.

Much of the time witnesses are just good, loving people, just very misled. I saw a lot of kindness in the congregation, and it's very easy to pick on things people aren't doing, rather than look at the positive, which is why this is a good thread!

Poppy

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Well Poppy, you have a very up beat way of seeing things.

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I try! If there is one thing that hit me really hard after leaving the org it is how SHORT life is! And I think it's such a waste to spend it in bitterness over the past.

It's much more fun spending it making up for all those years of things you couldn't do

Poppy x

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Nowman:

Back when I used to have to cold call

I went out in field slavery for about 20 years, and found it as traumatic on the last day as on the first day – and by then I didn't have the initial zeal to sustain me.

Naturally, I'm no good at cold calling either.

RubaDub:

A BIG positive that JW's have is the ability to speak publicly in front of others.

I had four years of drama classes under my belt before I became a jaydub – so that's a wash, too.

earthtone:

Living in a pretty bad area, the friends at the hall keep us (kids) very busy doing different activities (skating, movies, gatherings).

Your congregation must have been more conscientious than most of the ones we hear about here. We were never in the inner circle, so our kids were rarely invited anywhere.

under_believer:

I attribute my lack of racial prejudice to my Witness upbringing.

Now that I will concede, for the most part. Although some brothers we admired made unseemly remarks when tempers were high – at least they did it behind closed doors. Still – what unracism I have, I brought in with me. But I grew up in the People's Republic of Berserkeley.

Wait, now, there is one positive:

If you're afraid of life, it's a good place to hide – at least, until the Pharisaic unwritten rules begin to strangle you.

gently feral

• bubble
    bubble

I

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

What that song say?

You got to eliiiimiiiiiinate the neg'a'tive acccccsccentuate the positive,

and don't mess with mister inbetween.

• bubble
    bubble

Whoops, I accidently hit the enter button!! I can't think of any positives for myself, but I do think that if you are old and lonely you will find friends for company and people that can help you with gardening, shopping and doing chores etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit