Buddhism bigger than JWs in US - Why? Does It Appeal to YOU!

by Seeker4 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet

metatron: ***The core emphasis of Buddhism involves an acceptance of suffering as inevitable.***

Paradoxically, in Buddhist thought it's the acceptance of suffering that liberates one from suffering.

BlackSwan: ***I'm very interested in the basic philosophy of it, but I'm not interested in it as a religion for me at this point.***

I highly recommend Alan Watts' "The Way of Zen" as an excellent introduction of the history and philosphy of Zen Buddhism.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Ian,
    Thanks for the explanations and the book recomendations. I'll check them out.
    S4

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Ian,
    Thanks for the explanations and the book recomendations. I'll check them out.
    S4

You're welcome! As is TopHat and BlackSwanofMemphis. The Buddha's Way is out of print but one can still obtain a copy through ABE Books on the internet! What the Buddha Taught is equally as good, though, and has been reprinted. Both books put Buddhism into simplified language. They are truly excellent reads. Once you have a greater understanding of Buddhism I highly recommend Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-Knowledge by Arthur Osborne. Ramana wasn't a Buddhist, he was a Hindu (out of which it could be said Buddhism developed). The great thing about this book is that it actually gives one a greater appreciation for Buddhism because Ramana achieved enlightenment. The book in no way focuses on Hinduism, but on Ramana himself. The book is so good it is in the library of the Buddhist Society of Manchester. I love that man! Best wishes and happy reading, Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I don't think I can ever "be" a Buddhist because I have an extremely strong aversion to "joining" a religion.

This is wrong!

Quote: 'A unique feature in Buddhism is the omission of any ceremony akin to that of baptism. There is only one way to become a Buddhist and that is to follow in the footsteps of the Buddha and attempt to put his teaching into practice in one's life. Buddhist philosophy recognises certain so-called 'fetters' which hamper an individual's growth towards liberation. One of these fetters is 'the belief in rites and rituals', the mistaken assumption that by going through some ceremony or by following some 'religious' practice, one can be saved. Little wonder then that there is no baptismal service in Buddhism. 'Work out your own liberation' and never mind joining any groups or societies.

What, then, marks one's entry into Buddhism? The required quality is saddha, often translated as 'faith' but meaning rather 'confidence based on knowledge'. As the Buddha said: "Confidence is the companion to the person, and wisdom issues commands to him." Another interesting translation of saddha is 'the confidence that there is a goal to be reached'. Before one can begin seriously to follow the Buddhist path, there must arise within one, however falteringly, the confidence that there is a path to be trodden and a goal to be reached. This initial confidence may then be strengthened gradually, as experience teaches that it was well founded. Yet, always, throughout one's long journey, this response to the heart, this awakening of confidence will precede, enabling one to take each new step in the dark.' The Ven. H. Saddhatissa, The Buddha's Way, page 24.

The ten fetters which bind one to rebirth: (1) self-delusion (2) uncertainty (3) belief in or clinging to rights and rituals (4) sensual lust (5) ill-will (6) greed for fine material existence (7) greed for immaterial existence (8) conceit (9) restlessness (10) ignorance.

Samsara: The world of flux, change and ceaseless becoming in which we live. The Wheel of Becoming on which, self-bound, we turn, life after life. The goal of the Theravidin (Hinayana) Buddhist is to step off the Wheel, into the state of Nirvana.

Ian

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Interesting stuff on this thread, I'm glad it is a topic to discuss. I have several Buddha figurines in my home by my garden window. I think they're cute is the only reason I have them. I think the meditation techniques they teach is helpful though. Beyond that, I don't know much about Buddhism.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Do Buddhists have a sacred text like the Bible?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Jay,

There are Buddhist texts for each particular school - truly enormous writings. The Pali Canon alone fills 45 huge volumes in the complete Siamese edition.

To be honest, the books I recommended are sufficient for anyone wishing to be a lay Buddhist. If you really would like to know more Buddhist Scriptures, which are selected texts translated by Edward Conze, is a good introduction. It's available on Amazon.

Regards,

Ian

P.S. If I were to die tomorrow my "Buddhist" funeral has been arranged.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Interesting Quote: "Buddhist morality is, in fact, a natural morality; it is based on an individual's understanding through experience, of the results of his actions, and on his own conscious informed choice to follow this way rather than that. No external agent is invoked; one is not asked to obey the commandments of God; neither fear nor love are involved, only understanding based on experiment and careful choice."

Ven. H. Saddhatissa, The Buddha's Way, page 27.

Ian

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I'm attracted to Buddhisms techniques for stilling the mind and living more in the moment. The precepts are also good and the people are always gentle and compassionate. But what puts me off getting into it is the immortal soul, reincarnation claptrap. Buddhists also tend to give 'worship' Buddha and idols. Those elements put it definitely in the religion category.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

While I can understand the general appeal, it doesn't appeal to me personally. I no longer feel the need to belong to something or apply philosophical principles to my life. I think realistically and make it my aim to always do so. No, I'm not being pompous, here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit