for Christians: How did you decide on the Bible?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 37 Replies latest jw friends

• myelaine
    myelaine

two statements really stand out in this thread:

1. I dug what Jesus did.

2.. love your enemies.(as yourself)

Jesus died to save our souls into eternity, are you willing to go into the "lion's den" to tell this good news?

I think, if you're not, neither do you fully comprehend the magnitude of what Jesus has done, nor do you truely love your enemies.

love michelle

edited to add...I know that as ex-JW's you are confused and hurt by your experiences and have little ground to get your spiritual "footing", but It can be done, if you so desire. You are not without tons of loving help and guidance. Jeremiah 31:9. xo.

• whyizit
    whyizit

The Bible is a spiritual book. It's alive, not just words. If you aren't "getting it", it is because you don't have the Holy Siprit helping you.

Amazing as it may sound, the JWs really helped me in this area. My JW friend was letting me know what I believe vs what she believes. "YOU think the Holy Spirit is a person, but actually it is just a force." (Really? Hmmm..... you don't mind if I study up on the Holy Spirit in the Bible, before I take your word for it, do you?)

Got out the concordance and started looking up Scriptures pertaining to being born-again and the Holy Spirit. Even looked them up in the NWT.

Romans 8:8-9 pretty much clenched it for me. "those in harmony with the flesh CANNOT PLEASE GOD. However, you are in harmony with the Spirit, IF God's Spirit truly dwells in you. But IF ANYONE does NOT have CHRIST'SSPIRIT, this one does NOT belong to him." Do I have Christ's Spirit? Can I please God without it? Are there any limits as to how many or who may get Christ's Spirit?

Luke 11:13 takes the fear out of asking for the Holy Spirit.

Since the Bible is a spiritual book, it only makes sense that a person who does not have the Holy Spirit as their Counselor will not "get it". At first, I didn't! I didn't even know I needed the Holy Spirit, until I started looking up verses about him!

Jesus is the Way , the Truth, and the Light. He referred to the Holy Spirit as a person. In John 14:15-26---He calls the Holy Spirit the Counselor, refers to the Holy Spirit as he, him, and whom: personal pronouns.

You need only read Acts 13:2 to get the point. The Holy Spirit speaks, Calls himself "me" and "I", he is also sending people of to do some work. I've never witnessed a lightening bolt or radio wave do any of those things, but people do that kind of stuff all the time.

These are only a couple of Biblical references , out of MANY, that helped me to realize that without the Holy Spirit, I simply would not be able to "get" the Bible. Romans 8 and Galatians 4 were really terrific chapters to get me set on the right path.

I went from feeling like I was reading an Algebra book, to not being able to put the Bible down! I can't believe I ever thought it was a chore. The more I read, the more I love it. And, finally, I "GET IT"!!! If you don't have the Holy Spirit, you are just missing out big time.

It's not about knowing a bunch of facts about someone. It's about getting to know Jesus on a personal level. Just read John 5: 39 where Jesus is letting the "religious" people of his day have it. "You dilligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about ME, yet you refuse to come to ME to have life." Who is the "ME" in these verses? If you read the NT first, then you read the OT books, you can see Jesus represented all the way through. Even the people who were the most religious didn't "get it", when the Messiah stood face to face with them.

Is it any wonder that so many of us take so long (if ever) to "get it"? Wonder why the Bible doesn't make any sense to some people? It explains it in 1 Cor. 2:14.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    The things I have a problem with is this.....Honesty says he had a major experience in life that left him a believer and I've heard countless other xians say the same thing - However, they've never shared what that experience was for them. I'm not saying this to have someone share something they'd rather keep private. If that's the case, that's cool with me - but I am genuinely curious about these experiences I hear about.

I think this is a good point FreedomLover.

StarMoore:

It was reading the sermon of the mount.. esp. the part on loving your enemies and doing good to those that hurt you. To me, there is something superhuman about that.

StarMoore: Check out this link:

Myelaine and Whyizit:

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I keep hearing "holy spirit" getting tossed in there. If we aren't getting it it's because we don't have holy spirit.

How can you tell if you have holy spirit? I don't mean this in a sarcastic way. If one Christian doesn't believe in the 'saved' issue. And the next person does. And still you have a Universalist Christian and all of them are meeting with their respective groups and asking for the Holy Spirit for help.... then how can you tell who has Holy Spirit?

Is it a matter of doctrine, love or as Myelaine put it believing that Jesus saved our souls into eternity?

Anyhow, thank you for the responses. I know that sometimes sharing our experiences can put us in vulnerable positions. Opening ourselves up to others, we never know if we're gonna get flamed for certain beliefs or non beliefs.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Ross said:

many of the stories contained within are timeless spirituality

And that's the whole point! I'm no Christian, but one cannot deny that there are some beautiful moments of spiritual wisdom contained within the Bible's pages, particularly in the New Testament, and these are timeless. Just because I don't believe Jesus existed doesn't mean I can't appreciate the spiritual message surrounding him. One who has a religion respects truth, but that doesn't mean they have the TRUTH!

See what happens when you start a post aimed specifically at Christians! You attract the rest of us to it!

Ian

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    And that's the whole point! I'm no Christian, but one cannot deny that there are some beautiful moments of spiritual wisdom contained within the Bible's pages, particularly in the New Testament, and these are timeless. Just because I don't believe Jesus existed doesn't mean I can't appreciate the spiritual message surrounding him. One who has a religion respects truth, but that doesn't mean they have the TRUTH!

Well said Ian.

• acadian
    acadian
    How did you decide on the Bible?

For what? A book of absolute truth? I didn't You'll find truth in it, but, you'll find corruption also, much has been changed, left out and added to suit those in control of the people of that time. (Roman Catholic church) I don't believe the bible containes all the truth there is, but I believe it has truth in it. To believe the bible is the only book that containes truth, is too denign the truth. Truth can be found in many places, most places are not books, but life its self. Or how would those who never saw or read a bible be saved? Acadian A follower of Christ, but not a Christian.

• myelaine
    myelaine

If you look at the Bible as a sheep pen there is plenty of excellent food and water, a gentle Shepard will watch over and keep you.

But if YOU decide to wander, you have made yourself prey to the wolves and thieves.Those wolves will tear you to pieces and those thieves will only sell you for their own quick profit, neither are looking out for your best interests. When the True Shepard seeks you out (and He does) you will be found mutilated (spiritually dead toward the God of the Bible) or in a strange pen eating strange food and drinking strange water.(spiritually malnourished and contaminated) Thats why if you believe and trust the True Shepard you will always stay within the "confines" of the Word for your own safety.You will know His voice and not be misled into wandering away.You will have the continuing opportunity to eat and drink THE best without fear of contamination. ***When you die the True Shepard will be able to identify you because you will be in His pen AND have His brand on your forehead.*** (that is why it is so important to believe what the word says about "keeping you" whether you have an "experience" or not.) It is evident that the Bible is more than a book with nice (spiritual) sayings...it is also a huge neon sign that says enter here for your own protection... now and for ever after. Having said that...some of you guys know that you have had a taste of the good food (without an "experience") and know when your being fed crap, make your way back to the True Shepard's pen... don't just stand there and starve...it means your life. love michelle
  • greendawn
    greendawn

I don't believe that the whole Bible is inspired and infallible but most of it is. What really matters is the sacrifice of the Christ and the adoption of man through the anointing Holy Spirit as children of God rather than as mere subjects as was the case with the Jews under the Mosaic law. It's the prospect of eternal life, the guidance by the Paraclete.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Acadian: You make some good points that I've thought much about myself. Interesting choice of words in closing.

Myelaine: Thanks for explaining. I don't see things quite your way, but I appreciate your sincerity. I have way too many doubts about the bible being anything other then a book with some occasional good advice or things that still ring true today just due to human nature and time.

You said this:

It is evident that the Bible is more than a book with nice (spiritual) sayings...it is also a huge neon sign that says enter here for your own protection... now and for ever after.

I honestly don't see the neon sign. I think I see more truth in the world around me, in nature and in the cycles of life and death. I see more god and divinity in the waves of the ocean and the soft swish of the breeze in the woods. Whatever that god is, I just have a very difficult time with the idea that he died on a cross for my sins. BUT I truly understand that you do and I can see that the way you believe is working for you. So many blessings on your path.

Greendawn: Hm, well, if you see this, is it ok for me to ask which parts are inspired and which aren't? I think it's interesting how you view the bible and also how you view Jesus.

thank you for the thoughts

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Whyizit:
    If you aren't "getting it", it is because you don't have the Holy Sprit helping you.

That's bull - and very condescending. Again, no one has explained how they "got it". If you mean it is an overwhelming and supernatural feeling of peace and genuine love for others then that is no different from what others have felt in other religions- whether it's Christian or Muslim or even Buddhism. Just because your flavor is Christian doesn't mean it's the only answer. With a comment like that you are putting yourself in the same position of arrogance and prominence that JWs put themselves in.

Myelaine makes alot of comments about spiritual pens and trusting the good shephard, but what proof is there the bible has any more valuable spiritual food than any other "sacred" book? There is actually ample evidence and concrete facts to the contrary, (which has been shown over and over again on this site so I won't re-hash). To just say it gives you a tremendous inner peace is great - but there are many others that are not Christian that have great inner peace right up thru the day they die. How can you say yours is the ONLY way? Just because the Bible says so?

I don't mean to bash Christians like so many do on this board. I respect many of Jesus' teachings. There were scriptures that made me cry after I read them without the WT filter. But I can't buy the "just follow him and you will feel better" mantra because there appears to be nothing to it but blind faith. I've read many other "holy writings" that made me cry too - and that pre-dated Jesus. When I pose this question to Christians all I get is scriptures quoted back to me - which means nothing if you can't dispute the dubious origins of the bible in the first place. I believe that's called circular reasoning.

The other reaction I get is Christians rolling their eyes saying "You just don't GET it." But I do get it.

Like one of my favorite songwriters says,

"I'm not a man of faith. I'm a man of truth." - Mason Jennings

It takes A LOT of faith to believe something that is not true.

-ithinkisee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit