for Christians: How did you decide on the Bible?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

And by the way . ...

I WANT TO believe the Bible. I really do. I'm not looking for any and every technicality to get out of following "the Good Shepherd". I don't feel SO BURNED by the JWs that I've thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

I really want to believe it. I have prayed about it, read all kinds of church history, history of the bible (both PRO and CON), and read tons of contemporary Christian leaders writings. I want to have that kind of faith.

But I find it hard to believe that God doesn't want me to "think". If there is a God, I believe he gave us our powers of reason and ability to learn and deduce and be logical for a reason.

It would seem incompatible that God would allow faith to override reason and simple logic, because it would be so easy for Satan (if there is a Satan) to make evil seem like truth. It requires logic and reason to find the truth of a matter, and faith does nothing but get in the way of it (much of the time).

Sure, there is a place for faith. As an example: If you are a football player, you could have faith that your football team can overcome the other, better, team. But if you are a local city league team and you are playing an NFL team, no amount of faith in the world is going help you to overcome that pro team. Sorry but it ain't gonna happen. Logic and reason has to step in at a certain point and override your faith.

With many Christians (and JWs), that is simply too much to handle. For this reason I believe that religion in general (including Christianity) seems to be a sort of therapy for people that can't accept responsibility for their own actions. It is therapy personified. "Turning your life over" to something means not having to figure things our for yourself. I don't think that is necessarily a negative - just like some people need medication to take the stress of life of, others need religion, and others have learned that the secret of life is that there really is no secret.

Now I'm rambling ... but I just wanted the Christians on this thread that tend to look down their noses at the ones that have honest questions about Christianity to know that there are people on here that GENUINELY WANT TO BELIEVE the bible and pray for it.

-ithinkisee

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Thanks ITIS.

I WANT TO believe the Bible. I really do. I'm not looking for any and every technicality to get out of following "the Good Shepherd". I don't feel SO BURNED by the JWs that I've thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

I couldn't agree more. I have tried every which way I know to have faith in the Bible. I've tried looking it from so many different angles. All that has helped me to do is, well, see things from different angles.

I have ended up having more faith in mankind than in God.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

... and then they never answer the real questions ... still waiting. -ithinkisee

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

ooooops wasn't posting anything and my chin hit the enter button by accident....

dont' ask

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

*****they've never shared what that experience was for them. I'm not saying this to have someone share something they'd rather keep private. If that's the case, that's cool with me - but I am genuinely curious about these experiences I hear about.******

to say "I just don't get it" only makes me doubt xianity even more.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I can't believe I missed this thread before.

I want to believe the bible. I want to believe in a God of Love. I want to believe that someone, somewhere, has all the answers - that God has given them all the answers. If I find that person or place, I have no problem doing whatever it is that God wants me to do.

But when I read the bible, it's full of things that make no sense to me at all. I've read the NKJV cover to cover since leaving the WT. I've prayed and prayed for guidance, for holy spirit, for something. I've had endless discussions with people of different religious persuasions - extremely well read and informed people. And yet, I can't make Christianity make sense. And believe me, I've tried.

I had a Christian (with whom I've had many a discussion) recently tell me that faith is a grace, understanding is a grace... God gives it to who he wants. So what, then, I'm not worthy? I can pray and not get an answer and have to accept that I don't deserve that grace? Sorry, I know how genuinely I have searched for answers, and I can't buy that. Not if I want to keep believing that God cares about us all.

And then, of course, there is the fact that only about one-third of the world is Christian. I happened to be born in a mostly Christian country. What about all the Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, etc? Just because they were born somewhere else, does God love them less than us? They are just as human as I am.... Will he destroy them or look down on them because of a geographical error?

At this point in my journey, I believe that God exists. I think that if he had one particular way he wanted to be worshipped, it would have been a heck of a lot easier to figure out what that was. Anything beyond that.... I'm figuring out as I go ....

GGG

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

btt

I'm backing this to the top because I think that there is enough interest in the topic.

Believe it or not, some of us who have serious doubts about the authenticity of the bible would like to NOT have these doubts.

While I thus far don't agree with the basic idea that the bible is the word of God, I genuinely appreciate what people have thus far contributed and would genuinely appreciate more thoughts on this topic. And I believe that there are a few others who would also like to hear these thoughts.

thank you to all

BSoM

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

******While I thus far don't agree with the basic idea that the bible is the word of God, I genuinely appreciate what people have thus far contributed and would genuinely appreciate more thoughts on this topic. And I believe that there are a few others who would also like to hear these thoughts.****

I concur.

I'm still waiting to hear more on this topic also! so btt......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit