When the Sunday speaker did not show up.....

by target 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

It's amazing what I have forgotten about my days as the PO. I can't remember how I arranged for the different speakers to come to our KH. I think maybe it was at a circuit assembly that we would get together and arrange for the different congregations to swap speakers. I remember going to just about all the congregations in our circuit and giving Sunday talks. Some were 70 miles away.

Ken P.

• blondie
    blondie

We had this happen once or twice a year. The elder who coordinated the talks tried to circumvent it by calling the speaker on Saturday to remind him he had a talk and how to get to the KH. Otherwise, there were a couple of brothers who could work up a talk quickly; they would just switch the PT and WT Study.

Blondie

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

In our KH, the speekah getting sick, or not showing up happened often. Instead of just boring us for an hour, with the watchtower abc robotic question and answer discussion, nope we had this elder who was always "chomping at the bit" to get up there if someone didn't show up. Yup he always brought his "Superman" suit. The ass!

Oh how I look foward to not going.

Dismembered

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Complicated story, I can tell it quick. I had been scheduled two months before a Sunday talk. I did not know anyone at the cong. Nobody called to make sure I was coming, but I went to the Kingdom Hall. I introduced myself to the PO. He said that the brother who had scheduled me was no longer the talk-coordinator, but the new PO (the guy in front of me) was doing it. Then he said he had gotten another brother on the schedule for today.

"Okay, then you don't need me, fine, no hard feelings."

"Well, that brother called 20 minutes ago and cancelled."

"Then you do need me, okay."

"Well, I called [Brother Popular Speaker] and he's on his way."

I knew that brother quite well, when he showed up, he asked if I could give the talk since I was obviously prepared and he wasn't. The PO said "I don't know this guy." The two of them actually had an arguement about it two minutes before the meeting starts. Brother Popular Speaker insisted that I was a good speaker, but I said (to both of them) that if this PO was that insistent, there was no way I would step on that platform.

I went back and gave a talk there, about a year later, and the PO approached afterward, saying "You did okay, we should have let you speak that time."

• juni
    juni

Blondie said:

We had this happen once or twice a year. The elder who coordinated the talks tried to circumvent it by calling the speaker on Saturday to remind him he had a talk and how to get to the KH. Otherwise, there were a couple of brothers who could work up a talk quickly; they would just switch the PT and WT Study.

Blondie

This is what the procedure was at our Hall.

Juni

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Interestingly, this has been happening more and more. Recently at one congregation I'm familiar with, the public talk was CANCELED because the speaker didn't show.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can recall speakers being late but no one ever failed to turn up unfortunately since their talks are typically so boring.

• Nina
    Nina

Southern California...temperature was over 107F...air conditioning in the KH was off...all the elders were on vacation...all the ministerial servants were absent from the meeting...

Song...prayer...27 people present (including my family of 6)...

Pioneer brother brings a tape recorder and places it onstage atop a stool...

Br. Klose..."Strict Obedience".

...We sat there and listened all the way through.

:(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit