Severance Pay ($10,000 for each year)for Those Laid Off From Bethel?

by frankiespeakin 23 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think to be fair the GB should use the money they have collected from selling off thier property in brooklyn and offer a serverance package for those asked to leave after many years of service, $10,000 for every year of service would be good. ( example 20 yrs= $200,000). I've cut and pasted this from a legal site:

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/laborlaws/l/aa110600.htm

For massive layoffs, some states and the Feds require certain companies to notify affected employees in advance. So, your employer might send you packing on the day you get your pink slip, but still send you regular paychecks and offer the benefits to which you're entitled, throughout your notification period (e.g., 60 days). Although it's better than just a boot on your backside, it's not really severance pay. It's "regular" pay in compliance with the law.

What's your opinion? I think those let go should ban to gether and start a class action suit oor something maybe some of our legal egles can give some output.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I doubt there is a case here. Besides - the dubs won't sue each other, 'specially Bethel boys.

Jeff

• sir82
    sir82
    send you regular paychecks and offer the benefits to which you're entitled, throughout your notification period (e.g., 60 days).

So let's see, for a Bethel worker, that would come to something like $240 and all the oatmeal mush you can fit into a tupperware container ("gleaning").

Yeah, I think they could spring for that!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think the Bethel boys sign something before they start which forbids this kind of legal action, they are not employees but instead paid volunteers. Harsh as it may be for many to find themselves outside their long time home they have no recourse to the courts. The WTS screwed them once more, do I remember well that even long timers got no redundancy, out of good will from the org?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think that letting go of so many "mature ones" with out and severance package will have a very bad effect on the future of the organization and produce lot of (to use a wt term) "DIsgruntal ones" which reverberate for years to come.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

So let's see, for a Bethel worker, that would come to something like $240 and all the oatmeal mush you can fit into a tupperware container ("gleaning").

Yeah, I think they could spring for that!

LOL...don't forget a satchel of "Special Issue" Awakes and Bible Teach books!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Let me just throw out this figure: say that on average that they let go of 1000 workers with an average of 15 yrs bethel service this would come out to 15,000 x 10,000 = 150 million, heck they got more than that for the sale of just one of thier buildings on Furman st.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Most of the Bethel boys will probably want to keep their peace with the WTS and enjoy the prestige and status of having worked at head quarters. They are highly regarded in the local congos where they go: "wow you have served at Bethel next to the FDS?"

After all the end is so near why argue with God's only rep on earth?

• luna2
    luna2

Oh, frankie, they aren't being laid off...nooooo, they're being reassigned to the velly important preaching work! So, yeah, they won't have their room and board comp'd and they'll somehow have to get jobs after years and years of servitutde to the WTS, but they can hack it...Jah will be with them and take care of their every need. This is a very exciting time!

Actually, I thought somebody posted that they'd heard that some of these displaced Bethelites would get a stipend of $500 a month to help them transition. Don't know if that was ever confirmed tho...also, don't remember if a time limit was mentioned.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In Canada, the law is that you must provide a reasonable notice period when laying someone off. This notice period varies from 2 to 12 weeks, depending on length of service and which province you are in. If you do not give adequate notice, then you must pay the person in lieu of notice.

Under common law, the notice period is usually longer. This means that the employee can sue for more severance. Typically, a senior person could receive up to one month per year of service, capped at two years (although a one year cap is more usual).

I assume that some similar type situation exists in the U.S.

So, really, the bethelites are pretty screwed. Even if they sued, they wouldn't get much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit