Crosses (on necklaces and hanging in your home)

by earthtone 18 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

A scriptual answer is found in the bible. Galatians 6.14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world, Also

Philippians 3.18 For ,as /I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ their destiny is destruction

• Honesty
    Honesty

I bought one last year.

I wear it at least once or twice a week.

It has allowed for a couple of opportunities to witness about Christ's love for the human race.

The Watchtower Society denies the cross because they despise Jesus' victory over death.

That's why they memorialise and commemorate His death once a year instead of His resurrection.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

1 Corinthians 1:17-19 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

The cross defines who I am now. The very fact that I am free by grace is enough for me to wear one. My favorite is a large celtic cross. I lost a nice one in a horse wreck and haven't replaced it yet.

Right now I wear 24/7 a Star of David that has a dove in it.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I had an antiques booth for several years (years after I was out.) I have always been intrigued by religious icons and artifacts from all over the world, and used the antique dealing as a great excuse to buy and sell these wonderful pieces that have always secretly wooed me. I loved mixing religious iconographys from all over the place. I love that feel... that everyone is searching and reaching... but nobody quite grabs onto the end-all facts of the situation.

I don't have a cross pendant, surprisingly enough, but I have lots of other religious artifacts that I just love. I am more intrigued by the bleeding and radiant hearts and that sort of over-the-top artistic stuff.

Funny, though, you are right... I have been out for 2 whole decades and I have never had a cross pendant. Funny how conditioned we are for life... aggghhh.

• outnfree
    outnfree

I have a few cross necklaces. A small gold one was my mother's and I wear it very occasionally to feel close to her.

Another was chosen by me and purchased for me by my children for Mother's Day (which is another thing I do now that was unthinkable as a JW). It's a Gregorian cross (equal crosspieces) with a different semi-precious gemstone for each piece and the center, with some diamond chips for fillers. I really love it!

Most recently, my best friend from high school, sent me a silver/marcasite cross, fairly large and ornate, with a card that told me she knew I had been getting through my cancer struggle so well in large part because of my faith. And while I DO have faith in a Higher Power, I am not a member of any organized religion at present. I feel fine wearing a cross because I have great respect for many of Jesus' teachings, and I've felt a close connection with Him partly because I was born on Dec. 25.

I have no crucifixes hanging in my home.

And, for the record, I feel I've gotten through my cancer struggle so well in large part because of my JWD family holding me near in thoughts and prayers, as well as the Reiki treatments, medical treatments, and the support of loving friends like her!

out

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I don't know how long this'll hold water, 'cause I just thought of it :)

Consider these signs of infamy and their mutation:

A Nazi badge of shame becomes a symbol of gay pride

"Nappy hair" becomes a symbol of racial pride
    A satirical song about those ignorant colonists becomes a patriotic anthem

gentlyferal

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

As Apostate Kate posted, but from the NWT

1 Corinthians 1:17-18

17 For Christ dispatched me, not to go baptizing, but to go declaring the good news, not with wisdom of speech, that the torture stake of the Christ should not be made useless. 18 For the speech about the torture stake is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is God?s power"

The Watchtower reasoning is unscriptural, the cross is a rememberance of the Ransom. Far from being introduced as a pagan idolatrous symbol, the cross was used as a Christian symbol to prevent pagan idolatry. In The Australian Financial Review 21/12/2005 an article entitled The Mandylion Mystery by Dan Goddard explains why no one is sure what the face of Jesus looked like. The reason a depiction of Jesus was never used was to prevent pagans idolising his image. A cross and other symbols were used in an attempt to prevent idolatry creeping into Christianity:

?But do we really know what Jesus looked like? The Bible offers scant description, even by the disciples, and for more than 300 years after his crucifixion church authorities forbade images of him to be created, fearing that pagans would use a depiction of Christ as an idol. Instead, symbols were used: a ship, the ark of salvation, or a cross and a fish ??

see http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/cross.htm

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

For me wheather I wear a fish symbolising his power, the cross symbolizing what Jesus did for me, or the Star of David with the dove, it is not an idol but is a constant reminder of the grace that I live in. A reminder not to abuse it and not to neglect it.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings earthtone,

Your exactly right with the dubs explanation of why wearing a cross would be "wrong". Interestingly enough, my wife really wants to buy one. I told her to go ahead and get one.

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit