another evolution thread...

by anakolouthos 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

My point is:

Genetic bottlenecks are entirely in accordance with evolutionary theory. There are well known instances such as for humans that are used in discussions of the evidence FOR evolution. They are not a good argument against evolution (I don't actually see how they can be used as an argument against evolution).

Unless you meant something different when you said 'This would be a good argument against evolution' in reference to the cheetahs being 'nearly identical genetically'? Maybe I misunderstood.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Skeptic,

Can you answer these three Q's for me, thanks, Lilly TD and AlanF, feel free to answer too.

You said several bottlenecks have been "inferred" from the gentic data? What does the word "inferred" mean to you? "inferred" does not neccesarily mean deffinate. I understand what you are saying though. When Scientists say it is "inferred" they believe more probable than not according to the data they have at the time.

The second is: The WT claims that since the universe is expanding - that is evidence that at one time it had a beginning and is proof of God. If someone agreed with this premise but instead of believing in the God of the WT - believed that the energy or force behind what thrust the universe in motion was what represents "God" to them, would evolutionists have a problem with this?

What are your personal views of the intelligent design theory? Some think it is a step towards believing in God by saying there is an "intelligence" behind all things in the universe but they are not willing to go as far as attributing this "intelligence" to a "God" without being able to scientifically prove God exists.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

lovelylil:

It is hard to understand what the bible writers meant by "kind".

No it isn't. It's fairly obvious that they meant (pretty much) what we would call a species. It only begins to present difficulties when you try to reconcile the Flood myth with reality. We know that Noah couldn't have collected samples of every animal species, so those who need to believe the story claim that "kind" really refers to a higher taxonomic group, like a genus or a family (although there is no support for this in the text). This requires vastly fewer animals to have been collected but also implies a kind of hyper-evolution, dozens of times faster than anything the most ardent Darwinist would propose. Without any evidence or any way of explaining such a fast rate of evolution, the story has to be dismissed as a myth. (There are, of course, many many other reasons for doing so.)

Deputy Dog:

I don't think the cheetah would be a good example of evolution. They are so inbred, there are many genetic problems, of which breeding being just one likely caused by isolation. It also looks like this animal won't be evolving in the future.

It is an excellent example of evolution, and the problems that happen when a population becomes too small. If the Flood myth were true, we would expect to see similar bottlenecks in every species. [Actually, that's not strictly true. A single breeding pair is not a viable population. We would expect to see most animal life completely wiped out. Well, we wouldn't actually be around to see it of course.]

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

funkyderek,

I agree with you on the word "kind" but I said that because if you look in my previous posts, many of the evolutionists jumped on me about that word saying it was the wrong term. I finally figured out that they thought I was one of those Christians who believed that if there was a flood -it happened a few thousand years ago. I am not.

I personally believe the flood story is based on some fact, even if you say it is myth. Some myths are based on fact. Even going by the premise for the sake of arguement that there was a flood - it would of had to have been much later in time then most Christians believe it to be. In researching Noahs' flood and the epic of Gilgamesh I discovered that even though the Gilgamesh epic was written on tablets first - the genesis flood may be older. Why? becuase you have to take into consideration that oral tales were passed on sometimes for generations before they were written down. I believe this is true with Moses. The evidence in the books attributed to him (most I believe written by others, possible a scribe) shows that he "edited" the flood story he heard which was much older than his time. This could mean one of two things: Noah's flood was earlier than we think or the story was in fact based on Gilgamesh. Thats another thread. But even if you accept the Gilgamesh epic - it could have been based on some fact of a huge flood. Maybe not earth wide but in a massive area. Remember that what we consider earth wide - may not be what people back then considered earth wide.

I agree with most of the aspects of evolution. There is no way that two birds Noah took on the ark in a few thousand years became all the species we have today. It would have taken millions of years. Lilly

P.S. I am still researching Noah's flood vs. Gilgamesh and I am not finished yet. When I am I will post it in another thread so we can discuss it there. I found some bible scriptures that seem to show the tale of Noah is much older.

• ania
    ania

hi hope no1 minds too much if i add my 2 cents worth here. i have to say i have alot of theories that indulge both creation and evolution together only my definition of God & creation is probably very different to most (like my definitions of many things) :

this is what 1 dictionary has to say about the word Create : Etymology: Middle English, from Latin creatus, past participle of creare; akin to Latin crescere to grow -- more at CRESCENT
    transitive verb
    1: to bring into existence <God created the heaven and the earth -- Genesis 1:1(Authorized Version)>
    2 a: to invest with a new form, office, or rank <was created a lieutenant> b: to produce or bring about by a course of action or behavior <her arrival created a terrible fuss> <create new jobs>

my definition of this: for any one to grow or create something they normaly have to start with something in the first place such as a seed, soil, water sunlight, nutrients etc. or if i create a painting: canvas, paint, etc if i then say look at all i have created i would hope that wasn't taken as literally as to say that i had also created all the materials.

moving on...who ever said that the title "God" was to be taken to mean 1 entity? at one point god says let us make man in our own image according to our likeness...it could b much the same if i were refering to man in the plural : let us make man in our own image (not a man) so why does god have to be a God.

I guess what i am trying to propose is this (just one theory) Who's to say that God wasn't a group of homo-sapean type"aliens" from another dimention/heaven who upon discovering the source of evolutional life (seed of life) decided to use it on the formless waste (genisis:"the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God?s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.) to create an atmosphere in which to begin a new race of "man" from thier own dna? sorry i know that might seem pretty far out to some but hey it is quite probable that in the future "we" (Humans) will discover the source of life (i saw a documentary where scientists believe they have found just that) and a planet that will sustain it.

You gotta be able to think outside the box if you want to be truly free

ania

• ania
    ania

I agree with most of the aspects of evolution. There is no way that two birds Noah took on the ark in a few thousand years became all the species we have today. It would have taken millions of years. Lilly

It could happen if all those species were tubes of dna

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

lovelylil:

You said several bottlenecks have been "inferred" from the gentic data? What does the word "inferred" mean to you? "inferred" does not neccesarily mean deffinate. I understand what you are saying though. When Scientists say it is "inferred" they believe more probable than not according to the data they have at the time.

That's correct. The hypothesis that there were genetic bottlenecks in the history of various species is the one which best fits the available data. I don't think there are even any serious competing hypotheses in this case. It's the only non-absurd explanation of the facts.

The second is: The WT claims that since the universe is expanding - that is evidence that at one time it had a beginning and is proof of God. If someone agreed with this premise but instead of believing in the God of the WT - believed that the energy or force behind what thrust the universe in motion was what represents "God" to them, would evolutionists have a problem with this?

The universe is expanding, which is (probably) proof of a beginning, but not of the existence of God. Strictly speaking, evolutionists would have little to say on the matter. Evolution remains a fact whether or not a god or gods began the process. Personally, I have a problem with calling "energy or force" God. It confuses the issue. If it doesn't have a personality or an interest in its creation, it's not a god.

What are your personal views of the intelligent design theory? Some think it is a step towards believing in God by saying there is an "intelligence" behind all things in the universe but they are not willing to go as far as attributing this "intelligence" to a "God" without being able to scientifically prove God exists.

"Intelligent design" is just creationism with a new name, and a respectable but wafer-thin veneer. It really doesn't matter whether those who believe it are religious or not though, as it is unsupported by the evidence, and has the same problem as any variations on the Argument of Design, namely, who designed the designer?

I personally believe the flood story is based on some fact, even if you say it is myth. Some myths are based on fact.

There definitely wasn't a global flood, there definitely wasn't a 450-foot long wooden boat built by four men and their wives, rainwater never covered the tops of mountains, a pair or more of each kind of animal weren't loaded on to the boat (no matter how broadly you define "kind", and it didn't rain for 40 days. Certainly, there were floods in the past just as today, but none of the details of the story can possibly be even remotely accurate.

In researching Noahs' flood and the epic of Gilgamesh I discovered that even though the Gilgamesh epic was written on tablets first - the genesis flood may be older. Why? becuase you have to take into consideration that oral tales were passed on sometimes for generations before they were written down. I believe this is true with Moses. The evidence in the books attributed to him (most I believe written by others, possible a scribe) shows that he "edited" the flood story he heard which was much older than his time. This could mean one of two things: Noah's flood was earlier than we think or the story was in fact based on Gilgamesh.

It could be older, but there's absolutely no evidence of that. If it is older, then it survived at least a thousand years without being written down, so any factual basis it may have had would have been long since lost. It seems, though, that it is just another story the Jews picked up from the Babylonians.

Of course, although of there would never have been just two birds. Evolution works on populations, not individuals.

I found some bible scriptures that seem to show the tale of Noah is much older.

I don't even know how the bible could be used to prove such a thing. The written record of the bible is not as old as the written record of the Gilgamesh epic, and if you take Bible chronology as accurate, the latter would have been written within the lifetime of Noah, or very shortly afterward.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

So many good arguments for evoultion have been made here, I will not attempt to add more, the science on this matter is clear and there is no doubt of the fact of evolution anymore.

But, as an aside to the creationists or the doubters out there, lets say that the situation was reversed. Everyone believe's we come from nothing some how and over time came to be what we are now. Really no one really has any concept of what 'God' is. However, you have an appifiny and reliease that everything would make so much more sence if a all knowing and all powerful 'God' was put into the picture. What evidence would you use to back your point so people wouldn't think you're crazy? Could you find any?

Remember people thought Darwin was crazy for suggesting an idea as crazy as evolution.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

funkyderek,

Thanks for your response.

SOL,

You are so right that no one really knows what the concept of God really is. Those men who wrote the bible used terms like "he" or "him" but those are simple terms from a human perspective so I don't think they can properly describe someone or something that is untangible as "God" (or the concept of) is. It seems like our brains are hardwired into believing in a higher power. Why? I don't know.

There are new scientific discoveries all the time and maybe one day we will have more answers. I was just reading that scientists say there may be as many as 7 dimensions in space? This is another facinating topic - I'd loved to know what is beyond those dimensions.

I find this topic very interesting and I have learned some good points. When you are a JW you only get one side of the issue. They do not print what evolutionists truly believe on this matter so you get a very biased view. That is why I am glad so many of you (evolutionists) have responded with evidence to show what you are saying. Now I have a better understanding of the these points. Lilly

• skeptic2
    skeptic2
    However, you have an appifiny and reliease that everything would make so much more sence if a all knowing and all powerful 'God'

Epiphany wouldnt cut it, you'd need data. If I had an epiphany but no data, I wouldn't even open my mouth. I have seen things which dont exist. I dont trust everything my mind tells me, the human mind is not an infallible computer of outside inputs, it is a constructive and error-prone reasoning tool. Science has rules designed to remove the fallibility of human thinking from our collective attempts to understand existence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit