Watchtower Progress, One Funeral At a Time

by metatron 14 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I've no doubt that they appoint men they feel they can trust - but really, this is no different from any authoritarian

regime, isn't it? In the two faced world of the Watchtower ( and similar to the world), what can you guarantee?

I have known many older brothers in positions of authority who didn't really believe parts of the "truth" ( in secret).

Crisis of Conscience recounts a number of incidents that show that GB members can discreetly doubt all sorts of

official Watchtower teachings as long as they pay homage to the central doctrine that Jehovah guides them

as the "faithful and discreet slave". Brother Jackson ( deceased) spoke dismissively of chronology in private.

Brother Suiter ( deceased) and others were ready to dump 1914 altogether. I know that Dan Sydlik was privately

cynical about much in Bethel.

metatron

• willyloman
    willyloman
    what many "faithful" Witnesses secretly think - that the organization will get better once Father Time takes his toll.

In fact, they're betting their lives on it!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Whatever else we might think of him, Fred Franz was better educated than most JWs of the last century, and likely had a rather formidable IQ, and the often eccentric personality that went along with it. While Charles Russell seems clearly to be the main influence on JWs of the 20th Century, I would argue that Fred Franz may be well ahead of Rutherford as far as the #2 position.

With the death of Franz, there has been a complete absence of any sort of biblical scholar figure among the Witnesses. The current GB members are so generic and often just plain dumb. A post we had on here a few months ago about a talk by Sam Herd at a special assembly day, which was so pathetic that even "faithful" elders were traumatized by it, is typical of the quality of the current GB. Their anti-education stance is totally biting them in the ass. Sam was the last DO and elder school instructor I had as a JW elder, and I can vouch for the fact that he is just not that impressive.

I've never really thought much about this before, but might this be the real reason for the decline of the Witnesses? Franz was definitely a cult figure among JWs. I met him personally when I was young, and treasured it as one of my life's great moments - at least for a while! I can't begin to relate all the stories I heard about Fred Franz, tons more than about any other GB member, including Knorr, even from brothers I know who work in the writing department at Bethel. Franz's nearly photographic memory took him a long, long way, even if his theology was really wacky at times.

As the last of these old-timers die out, who is there to take the lead? No one, it seems, at this point.

S4

• proplog2
    proplog2

They will probably grab our old visitor YouKnow and make him their oracle.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

The Watchtower Society has changed over time and will continue to do so. The past 120 years were evidence of such. History has proven it as metatron highlighted. Changes? Yes. Some subtle. Some not.

I can't imagine a 19th century Bible Students organization still functioning in 2007. The same goes for the current policy of the Watchtower in the future light of the year 2146.

And yes, I have heard various ones taking the lead (elders and COs) expressing their concerns privately to me. That being the case over my 35 years being associated with the WTS, the trend toward exhaustion is about the same.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit