My First Earthquake and I Didn't Even Feel It

by Kenneson 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

There was an 6.0 earthquake yesterday morning along the west coast of Florida and you would know it I didn't even feel it. It's really rather bizarre, as some people felt it and others didn't. But, in a sense, I'm glad that it was nothing serious--at least no one was hurt and there was no damage. The following story is on my area.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060911/NEWS01/609110335/1010

The following story is from central Florida.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/orl-earthquake1106sep11,0,7211462.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Welcome to the earthquake club!

• mustang
    mustang
    Welcome to the earthquake club!

Ditto!!!

It's really rather bizarre, as some people felt it and others didn't.

Actually, this happens all the time. Some tremor happens and you look around, ask 'did you feel it' and then "hot key" the USGS to see the report come in.

Mustang

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yikes!!

• luna2
    luna2

I guess we had a couple of quakes when I lived in Fairbanks (many years ago), but because the based surrounded the airfield and there were often planes overhead, who could tell. LOL

Glad the one in the Gulf area didn't disturb anything too badly.

• JH
    JH

I read about that earthquake in Fla. I guess it must be rare to have an EQ felt in that region.

Back in 1988 we had a 6 on the Richter scale here. It was the first time I felt an EQ. There was no damage though.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We get the odd tremor in the UK, but they are very rare, as is any real damage from them. The last one I remember hearing about was near Birmingham, which is about 35 miles from where I live, 5 or 6 years ago. I think a few windows were cracked, but no serious damage occurred.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Ive only experienced a very small one in Hawaii years ago, kinda freaky the earth moving like that!

• achickwwit
    achickwwit

I just moved here (Tampa Bay) from Florida a couple years ago, so I was probably the first to react to the shaking. My trembling hands -- for, you see, losing the earthquakes was a huge push to Florida -- dialed my husband, who thought I'd gone crazy. It took a full 30 minutes for the news to report it and settle the question of my sanity, which was annoying. NO ONE TOLD ME FLORIDA HAD EARTHQUAKES TOO!!

And how come no one's making that big a deal about it? The news teams are acting like it's a regular event.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I live in Tampa. I didnt feel anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit