IS MAN INHERITEDLY GOOD OR EVIL?

by Mary 20 Replies latest jw friends

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I believe man is mostly good but that all men have the capacity to do evil also. I believe our environment, cultures and religious beliefs help to shape us more towards one or the other. And just because you are "religious" does not mean you cannot be evil. Some religious people have been both the most peaceful and good - and the most evil in the world. Lilly

• Dansk
    Dansk

This thread is similar to another one which spoke about religion. The main points raised were that, for some people, religion appears to be required and while it is responsible for some of the worst evils in the world there is also a danger in substituting religion with something equally as evil, e.g. communism or fascism.

I think of the so-called 'primitive' peoples in history who had no religion and yet who had a great social structure and wonderful camaraderie. The native indians of America are an example - but then lets us not forget about the violent tribal warfare!I Guess the same could be said of most (all?) 'primitive' cultures - and let us not forget they also had some kind of religious belief, be it in God or nature or both!

As has been pointed out, man can be both good and bad. Some people seem naturally good and others naturally aggressive, so which is it to be, inherently good or inherently evil? Personally, I believe the good in the majority of men far outweighs the bad. Trouble is, it's the minority despots who get in power and cause mass destruction!

Ian

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The common denominator to me seems to be that we are species that enjoys peace and goodness but that we are not cohesive, prone to easily slip into insanity in varying degrees which leads to evil.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Whatever your definitions of "good" and "evil," I doubt any society would work (hence exist) without having both -- in the form of a mass of moderately good and evil people and a few extreme characters (both good and evil) in the fringe (which includes "top" and "bottom").

• myelaine
    myelaine

"22. O SON OF SPIRIT!
    Noble have I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself. Rise then unto that for which thou wast created.

(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)

carmel"

well said... "the buck stops here"... hey carm?

Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or stretched the line upon it? To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? (Job 38:4-7)

love michelle

• myelaine
    myelaine

A glorious high throne from the beginning is the place of our sanctuary. O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake You shall be ashamed.

"Those who depart from Me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters." (Jeremiah 17:12-13)

love michelle

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I would ask if a horse or a tiger or a penguin were inherently good or evil.

We are inherently --- HUMAN.

Good and evil are labels for the consequences of our actions.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Now, therefore, speak to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, 'Thus says the LORD: Behold, I am fashioning a disaster and devising a plan against you. Return now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and doings good.'

And they said, 'That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one do the imagination of his evil heart.' (Jeremiah 18:11)

there is freedom from habitual sin...1 John 5:18-21

love michelle

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think mankind is inclined towards doing good, but there are those who do bad things due to circumstances, ie lust for power, selfishness etc, but I don't think anyone is born bad.

• lowden
    lowden

Not trying to go all 'eastern' on ya but i think that we are being of love and light,

Evil is the big glitch in our makeup.

We all commit bad deeds from time to time, some just choose to take that badness further and further, for some reason that i don't as yet understand.

Peace

Lowden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit