Do you buy into conspiracy theories?

by free2beme 60 Replies latest jw friends

• aniron
  • Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Free,

As for getting upset, it seems to go both ways. Some people strongly believe in certain conspiracies, especially the political kind, and tend to strongly defend those theories. As a result they seem to get upset when people do not agree with them. The anti-conspiracy folks tend to get annoyed with conspiracy theorists, because they do not wasting time on urban legends and myth, or unproven allegations.

I like the challenge myself. When someone posts a theory, such as the recent 9-11 theories that the attacks were a US government plot and cover-up, I like to challenge their so-called evidence. I like this especially when engineering and physics principles are involved. But, I don't feel anger or annoyed, because I have gotten to the point in life where I have learned not to invest negative energy into such divisive things. I reserve what I have left of my negative energy for more important issues that involve matters of justice.

Jim Whitney

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

It is fun but when you disprove something again and again and again and people just say nope not listening! That's when it stops being fun!

• aniron
    aniron
    It is fun but when you disprove something again and again and again and people just say nope not listening! That's when it stops being fun!

Bit like trying to prove to a JW the Watchtower is wrong.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    was kept secret for four years,
    That's because most of the people who WORKED on it didn't even know what they were working on! Plus they lived completly isolated from society! How were they going to tell?

Good observations, mkr. What you say doesn't in any way discount that secrets can be kept; rather you shed light on how uncomplicated it all may be. As far as the Manhattan Project, there were up to 30 different locations used for production and research. Most of the 100,000+ people were, however, working in three major locations. As far as them all being "completely isolated", I would seriously doubt that with such large numbers of people and various locations and all, though I can not say for sure. Actually, isolation may have been generally unnecessary because of your other point: "most of the people who WORKED on it didn't even know what they were working on". It makes sense that it is this exact dynamics of compartmentalization that allows complex activities involving hundreds, or even thousands of people, to ultimately be clandestine operations, either in part, or in whole. Few would be required to actually be in on the big picture. As far as the moon landings, and lots of other things, I only know that I don't really know. j

• Gregor
    Gregor

I think a lot of folks tend to be frustrated with world events being edited, videotaped and served up on platter. Especially XJWs have had a bellyfull of being spoon fed all the answers that they have since found out were nothing more than manipulations by a cynical authority figure that they have seen exposed as corrupt.

The "Black Helicopter" theories always have a receptive audience. It tends to make one feel a little more in control and in charge of their own intellect to disagree with the direction the "herd" is being led.

This doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong in any particular subject. But I do think it can become a knee jerk reaction to all events that draw worldwide focus. This can put one in the position of being gullible in accepting anything that disagrees with generally accepted explanations, especially if it enhances ones political viewpoint.

When it comes to governmental conspiracies that require a huge Machiavellian apparatus I tend to doubt it's veracity. The government is well known for it's inability to pull off a Sunday picnic without major screwups.

• Beardo
    Beardo

Of course - "conspiracy" exists in all walks of life, as do various theories and often theories can be perfectly reasonable.

There is a lot, a hell of a lot, of disinformation doing the rounds and learning to fine tune your bullshit detector to help you see through the smoke & mirrors is the key.

A lot of people outright 'poo poo' a lot of the alternate information offered by the underground network of researchers regarding the 9/11 attacks for instance, without even taking the time out to actually study what is being said.

I've spent between 2 and 3 years examining that particular event. I can see the holes clearly running through the official story. But try and present this information to a lot of people and they are either sarcastic or dismissive.

I know 'within my heart' that the subsequent war in Afghanistan & then Iraq could never, ever, be justified - so therefore there was a conspiracy amongst Western powers; concerning the decision to move East into that territory, using vile and bloody warfare against a rag-tag army and slaughtering 1000s of innocents in the wake of the war machine.

Isn't it a little obvious that 9/11/2001 created a prime opportunity for the Neocons & the UK Labour party (underpinned by a network of fraternities) to take action and start seizing territory?

They needed public support - FEAR = CONTROL - an old tactic. 9/11/2001 produced tangible fear and the reaction was "go get 'em" ......

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    I believe both JFK and RFK....

My old JW room mate claimed to have studied with Sirhan Sirhan's (assassin of RFK) mother.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

When entering the field of speculation, there is not generally a pat answer that will satisfy all concerned.

That said;

I do not see how Kennedy was killed by one man working alone, who just happened to work in a warehouse that just happened to be on the route of a president that he just happened to wish dead, and such a man who happened to be undetected and allowed to fire a weapon at a passing motorcade and then happened to be able to hit the target well enough to kill the president with a bolt action Italian rifle not particularly known for it's ability to accomplish such a difficult task in such short time.

If I was wishing to shoot someone [I am not] from a high window in a warehouse [I am not] and the person was in a motorcade and protected well - I would not choose a bolt action Italian rifle to do so. And I would not shoot non-fragmentary rounds such as that found on the stretcher at the hospital. But that is just me.

Jeff

• moshe
    moshe

Yes, it is most likely that Oswald was the triggerman in Kennedy's assasination. So far, their have been no deathbed confessions to think otherwise.

Yes, we landed on the Moon. Astronauts planed a laser relector on the Moon that is still being used, plus, if it had been faked the Russians would have exposed it.

Aliens are most likely time or exta dimensional travelers. In the future the secret ingredients to make Coke and Pepsi have been depleted. They make clandestine trips back to our time period to obtain these supplies. And chocolate, I almost forgot- no chocolate either- in the future due to runaway global warming- all the Cocoa trees die off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit