Wikipedia being abused by Jehovahs Witnesses

by Simon 93 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Let's not give the watchtower cult apologist any indulgence,keep the vigil.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I am at fu##ing war with a JW-troll on norwegian Wikipedia. So much that a moderator now has gotten involved and locked the article on JWs (unfortunately, while I was in the process of changing it back from his ridicolous propaganda, and I only managed to change half of it before it was locked). Well, we`ll see what happens...At least I have been able to post a ton of information on the discussion-part of the site, info the troll sure wouldn`t want jws to know about.

• minimus
    minimus

Maybe Wikipedia's run by JWs. That would explain everything, huh? As was said by Nathan, Mr. Wiki is da boss and he can do as he pleases on his site, I guess.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    It is akin to someone going to a library and ripping pages out of books or destroying the books themselves IMO.

yeah, but they do that too!

• Gerard
    Gerard

Simon, create an account on Wikipedia then create a very simple page and learn/ask how to disable the edit function. When you figure it out, expand it with hard facts about the Borg.

G

• Gerard
  • cabasilas
    cabasilas

I think that it's a pretty balanced article. Not overly positive or negative.

It also contains a lot of information that the average Witness wouldn't know.

If I had read something like that when I was still active, it would have raised many questions.

If the article was strongly anti-JW it would scare off JW readers. There's plenty of information in the article which should give JWs something to think about. There are several links in the footnotes to online editions of classic JW texts: such as The Finished Mystery, The Way to Paradise, Russell's works, etc. The chart of the eschatological changes re: 1874, 1878, 1914, etc. is well done. The "Other Sources" section contains links to online chapters from Crisis of Conscience and Google Book Search's online viewing of Apocalypse Delayed. If I read the history log correctly, I believe Simon wanted to link JWD as an additional source but Wikipedia rules frown on linking discussion boards or Forums as external links. However, Freeminds is linked as one of the sources and JWD is easily found through Freemnds. Writing a "neutral point of view" article on JWs is a darn near impossible task. Considering the odds stacked against it, I think the collaborative work of both non-JWs and JWs on this article is not without some merit.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

But it isn't really "sold," is it? It's free. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it. Or less.

Yes, but "sold" was in quotations meaning the price you pay is trusting the info and visiting the site.

I didn't know exactly how Wiki worked. To a person going on the net for info, does a Google search and Wiki has an answer or article on the subject, they'll see it as fact. So if you don't know than Wiki will be quoted to people as an online encyclopedia, and that's it. For a Witness to show this to a newcomer with questions, it would be damaging to them. They'd think--well, it's in the encyclopedia.

This is very important. It is yet another "lure" they can use. Usually the net is a place to disprove them. If they have a place on the net that supports their ideas but looks not biased, they have GOLD.

Wiki comes up a lot on searches. To a JW who's actually trying to question the org. it would put his/her mind at ease. When someone sees something they want to see, they sometimes look no further. The "real truth" could be the next link but they saw what they wanted to and that's stifling our efforts. You know that most of them are not real "savvy" when it comes to research outside of the publications, especially on the cpu.

Someone out there may be looking for non biased info to help them in there decision and they are actually reading JW propaganda as absolute fact. It's a big deal.---IMO

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Wikipedia is too important as an avenue for disseminating the truth about the WTS to dismiss and admit defeat.

• truth.ceeker
    truth.ceeker

I have updated the page with the recent event around the child abuse scandal from a former Bethel Elder. We'll see what happens. ..truth.ceeker..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit